PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Plans Info

Walt. H.
07-16-2004, 10:52 AM
I'll be vacationing in Cape Hatteras, N.C. town of Buxton from the 24th thru the 31st, of this month.
We're renting a cottage about 120 yd's from the beach with a view of the water, :yippie:
I too would like to know of place's to hit for a family of three to enjoy, from food to what ever you can suggest and places to avoid beside's too much beach and exposure to the sun. This is our first time vacationing there and would like to make the best of our time and money, so all suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. I'll be staying about a 1/2 mile south of the famous Cape Hatteras Light House. I'm not bringing the boat but I would like to get some fishing and beer time in to rest my worn bones.

Ps, my wife doesn't know, but i'm bringing my 2" draw bar for the receiver hitch just incase I find something I can't resist. :rolleyes: So add that to the list of things for me to check out. :biggrin: :yes: :p :idea:

Thanks,

Walt

rayjay
07-16-2004, 11:03 AM
...Ps, my wife doesn't know, but i'm bringing my 2" draw bar for the receiver hitch just incase I find something I can't resist. :rolleyes: ... :biggrin: :yes: :p :idea: - Walt

hehehehehehehe! A person after my own heart.

rayjay

BUIZILLA
07-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Walt, I have a solemn motto in life..

If men weren't supposed to have toys, we would have never invented trailer hitches

Happy hunting..

JH :shades:

gcarter
07-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Walt, I have a solemn motto in life..

If men weren't supposed to have toys, we would have never invented trailer hitches

Happy hunting..

JH :shades:

Check books & credit cards! :rlol: :smile:

George :wavey:

RedDog
07-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Once you get over eating fish and have a craving for redmeat - hit the Hatteras Man for a burger, milkshake, ice sundae in Hatteras Village - well, they have a killer flounder sandwitch too.

Captain Clam is an inexpensive party boat out of Teaches Lair Marina (Hatteras Village). Stays in the sound. Never been on her, but Miss Hatteras is a party boat that goes offshore - think its the same marina.

Take the ferry over to Ocracoke - its a free ferry and neat island. A lot of pirate themes

Surf fish - not the best time of year but then you never know.

If you have 4 wheel drive and nerve - several ramps will put you on the beach. You can also drive to the end of the island to Hatteras Inlet (I've found God several times going in and out of that inlet in my brother's 22 Hydrasport). You may be able to get most of the way there with 2 wheel drive.

Gotta go to Jockeys Ridge while you are there. We usually hit it the first day as we cross over into Nags Head. The views from the top are great.

Climb the light house

Restaurants - we mainly cook in but get out some. They're all good. Billy's Fish House is good for lunch. Bubbas BBQ is great

Near you is a great little book store worth hitting - Buxtum Book Store

Grocery shopping is best in Avon but the supermarket in Buxtom will do.

Putt-putt golf in Avon.

9-hole golf course in Frisco - take bug spray (the pro shop sells it).

But than again, none of the above may apply - haven't been back since last year's hurricane....

Wish I was going!

Walt. H.
07-17-2004, 10:25 AM
R.J.
Jim.
George.

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement, :wavey: George i'll be bringing some "secret cash" too besides the check book & credit card. :yes: :rlol:

RedDog,

I'm printing out all the info you gave me sounds great, and hi-lighting "Bubbas BBQ" as my #1 place to hit first. Slow cooked smoked BBQ Pork Ribs are my weakness and Bubbas was a place I was so impressed with when I went there last year to visit friends and family outside of Orlando & Occoe, Fla. There was a "Bubbas BBQ" there and what struck me funny was that they don't sell ribs by a full or half rack like all the other rib places do. I was ask how many lbs, I wanted. I didn't know what to say :eek!: so I held my hands apart about 18 inches and said this much, :biggrin.: Ok, thats about 2-1/2 lbs the girl told me. I was in eatery heaven :yes: .
We're taking my wife's Expedition so yes on the 4X4 but her truck has only what I call "all season tires" even though the dealer said Ford calls them "All terrain" made by Continental, because the yuppies want to read A/T on their tires but want them to ride like regular street tires, :bonk: go figure?
We're also taking out mountain bikes along too so if I find something to buy they'll be laying in the boat instead of on the hitch rack. :hyper:

Thank you all,

Walt :wavey: "Have Cooler Will Travel" :beer:

Dr. Dan
07-17-2004, 10:36 AM
:crossfing Walt...Have a Good Time....what are you looking at...?

Good Luck

Doc :cool:

Walt. H.
07-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks Dan,

O"?? I guess i'm hopeing I find an "itch I can't resist" and my wife Rita saids her usual comment "go ahead and get it, thats why we work".
But it would be great if its an unusual $$ opportunity too! :crossfing
Like when you buy a hunting rifle for 1/2 it's $$ value from a guy that can't shoot and blames the rifle or his wife is afraid of the water so the boat has to go,etc etc.

I'll even settle for a wreck just for the parts or another project. :biggrin:

Walt :wavey:

RedDog
07-17-2004, 09:03 PM
I came across a 24' Albemarle at Teaches I still dream over. Set up with outriggers, inboard, nice little cabin. Wish I had moved on it - couldn't afford it but probably couldn't made it happen :frown:

Walt. H.
07-19-2004, 10:04 AM
Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20

I have a big list of blunders too. :banghead: :bawling: :bonk:

We all can't be Donald Trump :hyper: :rlol: :embarasse

Walt. H.
07-24-2004, 03:05 AM
Leaving in 1-hr in the rain for what I hope will be fun,sun, food, and a treasure hunt. :anchor: :crossfing

Walt & family :wavey:

Walt. H.
08-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Red Dog,

Thanks a whole bunch! Your advice and info was right on the money, from grocery shopping to taking the "Miss Hatteras" for an evening sunset cruise to look for porpoises,and a day trip to "Ocracoke island". We had a great time and even the weather turned out better then what we thought we we're going to have and we didn't need any bug repellent only sun block.

Thanks again, :wavey:

Ps, we also had a great time on the inlet side north of Buxton towards Avon and drove onto the beach itself, nice calm warm water to play in but we did enjoy the pounding surf on the ocean side too. :yes: Got knocked on my ass a few times. :jestera:

Catcha later,

gcarter
08-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Looking at the weather, you got back just in time.

Walt. H.
08-03-2004, 02:53 PM
George,
You sure got that right!

My wife has been glue to the weather channel since we return this past weekend. On friday you could feel the water temperature getting a little cold and there we're some rip currents causing them.

Glad to be home but my thought go out to the folks still there tring to make a living and staying alive!

Walt

BUIZILLA
08-03-2004, 03:11 PM
So Walt... what did you buy ?? ;)

JH

Walt. H.
08-03-2004, 05:15 PM
O" BOY! :banghead:

Jim,

I knew it was only going to be a short matter of time for me to get hit with that question, :frown: If I had a single dollar for every center-console fishing boat I saw either being trailered or out on the bay fishing from the Chasapeake bay bridge tunnel area down to the outer banks I could have bought a few Donzi Classic's, well almost?
Boater's in that area don't seem to own or sell anything else :bonk: whether its out on there lawn or at a marina, all you see is fishing boats and a few old time weathered trawler forsale or just rotting away. Believe me I eye balled a few marina's and didn't see one performance type boat of any kind. They take their fishing very seriously and their trucks are decked out with equiptment to match. Hopefully someone will back me up on this.
But anyway to answer your question: not a thing except some fishing lures, tee-shirts, baseball cap, tall heavy beer glasses, welcome aboard sign with the Hatteras light house on it, food and booze. :rlol:

But I did come home with a great "North Carolina sun tan!" -> "Priceless" :umbrella: :D

Thanks for asking,
Walt :wavey: :rlol:

BUIZILLA
08-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Well Walt, at least you didn't come home with those new PVC rod holders strung across the front bumper of your truck... :jestera:

JH :checkered

Walt. H.
08-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Yep!!!!

Thats something else if I had buck for every truck I saw with one of those set-ups, I could pay for every member here a free weekend of fuel to run around on! :biggrin:

:beer: