PDA

View Full Version : info on donzi 18' classic

blueliner
07-16-2004, 10:00 AM
looking into buying a 18' classic and wanted to know if there is any difference in the 1996 30th anniversary edition and let's say a 1997. is there a premium for a 30th anniversary edition boat??? is it tricked out more, nicer instruments what if anything??? what are people's opinions of this boat. any opinions on a 16'-18'. this will be my very first boat and feel these two would be a good starter boat. all comments are welcome. i am just trying to gather as much info as possible before making my purchase.

thanks
steve:canada:

boldts
07-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Blue,

First, welcome to the Donzi Registry. I noticed what looked to be a very nice 18' Classic 30th Anniversary for sale yesterday sufering the boats for sale ads. I've also had the pleasure of seeing a 16' Classic 30th Anniversary model.

As to which size 30th Anniversary Classic to buy, that will be a decision you need to make. How big the water your going to run her on and how much space you want to move around in the boat. In the Classic line-up, space is a premium no matter which size you buy.

Let's face it, on most lakes unless you live in Florida, your lucky to find another Donzi of any type on the lake. However, you won't find a 30th Anniversary even in most gatherings of 50 to 60 Donzi boats. There is a 16 in Michigan and that is the only one I've seen at any of the Donzi gatherings I've been to. So, the boats are very rare and the 18 I saw for sale showed that in the price being asked for the boat.

The 30th Anniversary is a graphics option for the most part. They do have a little different interior color called perilesence white. It looks kind of like a metalflake silver with the boat itself being all red and sporting 30th Anniversary decals.

Based on the rarity, you'll find that the price will be considerably higher for any of the Anniversary Classics. However, if you were to buy a 1996 18' Classic? Your buying the same quality and hull design as any other Classic. Primarily just a matter of what you want in a Donzi.

You tend to see more of the special Classics in the 22' model. The anniversary models are offered in all 3 Classic models although I've never seen a picture or actual boat of a 30th Anniversary 22 Classic. In a 22 Classic, the Special Edition, Testarosa and the BlackHawk models were all models offered based on the 22 Classic hull. Each had a little something special about them including special engine, special outdrive and special color schemes.

Don't know if I helped or just further confused you. Good Luck in your search and eventually purchase of the Donzi you've always wanted.

Lenny
07-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Steve, I got your PM. I would look at the 18 for the water you are playing in. Also, get (add) fresh water cooling to it. The one you mentioned for 18K USD seems high for a 1996 boat. I would think more like 15K or so would be more like it. The lift scenario (if you so choose) will be easy with this size boat.

As for "boating lessons for dummies" you are NOT going to find many people around here that have ever even sat in one of these things before let alone driven one. This will be something you "learn" in a hurry after a few stuffs and wild turns and unfortunate landings. A power squadron course will also be of great value to you.

As for your comment on being able to sell it once you wish to move up, YES, it will sell easily.

If you find something you are SERIOUSLY interested in, with money in hand, there are people here that will SERIOUSLY look at it for you, advise and guide you, and make the purchase easy. You will not be disappointed. (thanx Scott Boldts) ;)

If you are interested in picking one up, I might be able to do the "long haul" for you. You WILL be travelling to get one of these, remember that. I would look in the Michigan/Jersey Great Lakes (USA) area to keep it "closer" to home.

Let me know. Lenny 250.474.4005 :)

EricG
07-16-2004, 04:18 PM
As Lenny said, you will have to travel to get a classic. There are a few around the NW - but for the most part, they have a premium price on them (the 67 in Bothell for 16,000 comes to mind). Also, factor the cost of getting it here into your calculations. I got a great deal on my classic...however, by the time I got it delivered (had I not driven all the way to Key West last year, I would have made a Lenny road trip - but the vacation time just wasn't there :rolleyes: ), and bought a few bits and pieces to make it "mine", I was into it almost 40% more than I paid for it. Just something to think about...

And finally, if/when you do buy a classic...keep in mind that we have a very small but growing Donzi community here in the PNW - and I cannot even begin tell you how much more fun Donziing is when it's with other folks that share your passion and obsession with these boats.

Good luck with your hunt,

EG

Formula Jr
07-16-2004, 06:22 PM
The 16 is NOT a good FIRST boat. You are better off with an older 18 or another boat altogether as a First Boat.
The first boat you get WILL be:
Damaged while docking,
Get you wet and cold in the rain,
Blow oil all over the bilge,
Dinged in the gelcoat by an anchor,
Run aground,
Hit by floating objects,
Trailer sunk after you forget to unplug it in the rain.
Scraped on a trailer,
Scratched up by a cover while towing,
Swamped by salt water - this happens to old timers also, :)
Dropped on a ramp,
Have its interior clawed up by a cat,
Rust in places you didn't get the wd40 on,
Scare the crap out of you on a roll,
Break some teeth on a bad landing,
Get a line wrapped around the prop,
Damaged by hitting the bottom of a pier as the tide rises,
Soaked in beer,
Come untyed and drift,
Over heat with kelp or silt, stucked on to the intakes,
And a few more 'events" on the learning curve.

First Season is hard on a boat.
Get a "trash" boat for that first season. C-Dorys are great first boats for your area. Or any boat with a Vee hull, high topsides and lots of cleats. One you don't care so much about. Learn how boats work, make most of the mistakes with that first boat, then, get a nice Donzi. The Oregon Marine Board here, in Oregon, doesn't even address how to dock or launch.

Many People here are dealing with Donzis as their "end" boats, having started out with small run-a-bouts as kids and working up.