PDA

View Full Version : boat repairs and maintance

Darrell
07-15-2004, 10:19 PM
I thought it woud be interesting to see, how much of the maintance and repairs the members do on thier own boats.

Darrell

Cuda
07-15-2004, 10:30 PM
I'll do anything except repair the drives. Haven't really tried much glass work, but I did shoot half a boat with paint. :)

gcarter
07-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Well, this is my first small boat. Also the first with an outdrive. So far I've done glass work (stringers), paint (sides and transom), drive (complete rebuild of gimbal, refinish the drive), and I'm starting fuel and electrical.

George :beer:

MOP
07-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Just the other day it was put to me very interestingly by a very knowledgeable member that we fit into three groups! Those that do their own work, those that can't and those that pay to have it done. That would be another interesting pole.

Phil

TuxedoPk
07-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Phil-How do groups 2 & 3 differ? I'm looking for a group to identify with :)

rayjay
07-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Just the other day it was put to me very interestingly by a very knowledgeable member that we fit into three groups! Those that do their own work, those that can't and those that pay to have it done. That would be another interesting pole. - Phil

I'd still fall into two of the groups. There are certain things I will send out because there is someone who can do a much better job than I can, and often with a much faster turnaround, because of knowledge or equipment, or both. I've always tried to learn enough about doing something so that I can appreciate where my limitations are and who truly does the best job.

As an addendum to this, I've also learned that sometimes you should not dis-assemble the broken part so the knowledgeable person / expert who you will send it to can discern what is wrong and what made it go wrong. Get in touch with the expert before you do anything. They should be more than willing to help you if you have patience (if they are the "right" expert then they are probably real busy) as this will help them not only fix the problem but fix whatever caused the problem so it does not happen again. Good reputations come from not only having it work well, but also from not having the problem(s) happen again.

rayjay :rolleyes:

rayjay
07-16-2004, 08:57 AM

Gaskets!

If you need and use gaskets that go beyond manitenance areas like oil filters and valve covers if you have solid lifters, then you fall into group 3.

rayjay

paperman
07-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Anything but the Outdrive. I'll take care of the engine, electric, glass, but the outdrive I leave to the experts. :wink:

GKricheldorf
07-16-2004, 01:36 PM

There are people that just can not work on their own stuff. Then there are people who can work on their own stuff, just prefer to have someone else do it because either they are lazy or just have money to pay someone else or both. I have a friend like that. It really kind of annoys me sometimes. Not that he has the money to pay someone. just the fact he doesn't have the ambition to try.

Me - I'll sure try anything, but sometimes get in over my head. So far on my first boat i have re-powered, electrical stuff, stereo stuff, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Fish boy
07-17-2004, 01:00 AM
rebuilt my motor recently (with help). It just blew up again. Guess I am demoting myself from a 3 to a 2. Doh!

Donzigo
07-17-2004, 08:23 AM
I do everything on my boat except when the engines come out............they just don't take kindly to a Z-33 in my neighborhood on the street with the engines coming out. I don't have a forklift either............and that could pose a problem with taking those bad boys out.

FYU: Our best time in getting them out is 5 hours.

........I'm real good at watching others do work on boats.

mattyboy
07-17-2004, 08:30 AM
I started live on the boards as gas and go guy
and in 4 years with the help members and great friends I have made on this board
have learned to
change oils
plugs props
cap rotor wires
gas tanks
remove drives
change drives
marry 250 with 270,280, 290 parts

Matty
suns up going boating

Ed Donnelly
07-18-2004, 08:47 AM
I was a group 3
Now demoted to group 2
I prefer doing work on my Donzi,Harley, and Pantera.
Woke up Thursday morning blind in my right eye.
Appears I have blood in my retina,no tears,no cut.
The doc says it will take a couple of months for the blood to dissolve.Word of advice to all 1,000 island group. Stay on my left if you treasure your Donzi....Ed

rayjay
07-18-2004, 12:34 PM
...Woke up Thursday morning blind in my right eye. Appears I have blood in my retina,no tears,no cut.
The doc says it will take a couple of months for the blood to dissolve.....Ed

Hope it clears up soon and with no resudual effects. Did you do anything to cause this?

rayjay

gcarter
07-18-2004, 01:03 PM
I was a group 3

Woke up Thursday morning blind in my right eye.
Appears I have blood in my retina,no tears,no cut.
The doc says it will take a couple of months for the blood to dissolve.Word of advice to all 1,000 island group. Stay on my left if you treasure your Donzi....Ed
Ed, I've lost 80% of the vision in my left eye from glaucoma, which I treat daily. I also have cataracts which I'm waiting for some new procedures to be proven before I have that taken care of.
It's hell getting old.

George...at least my knees are OK! :rlol:

MOP
07-18-2004, 03:56 PM
OK figured I should jump in again, If at all possible I do all my own stuff :wrench: . I do not do machine work, if something is to heavy for my creaky body I get help. I did this year farm out the very first engine work ever having no place to work (farmed out to a professional equally picky bugger Vince are you watching?). As long as I can I will do anything, if its broke I can usually fix it or damn sure replace it, might :cussball: more than I use.
But I feel a little honesty is in order, if I were to win the lottery I think my outlook would change to just say Fix It!

Phil

McGary911
07-19-2004, 04:39 PM
I'll pull the engine and go pretty deep into that. I've done some glass work, although lifting the deck may intimidate me some. I've done work on other drives, never my TRS though, thankfully. Once everything is back together, and running RIGHT i really enjoy the fact that I did it myself. Makes the Donzi just a bit more mine, i guess....

Greg
07-22-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm somewhere between #3 and #4. I try to stay out of the internals of the engine and outdrive. Although when the engine of the Scarab died in the driveway. My buddy and I scrounged parts and built one, put it in and so far its going O:K. (Keeping my fingers crossed)

Sierra
08-26-2004, 06:38 PM
I more of a four, no out drive or glass work. No problem with the rest.

Rootsy
08-26-2004, 07:34 PM
man this is a tough one... after reading and rereading all of the options i have to split some hairs... i fall in the 0.5 catagory :yes:

JR- does washer fluid REALLY go under the seat?

ToonaFish
08-26-2004, 11:06 PM
does washer fluid REALLY go under the seat?

Only if I forgot to wear a diaper.

Bunches,

Celene 'have you driven Patti yet?'

Patti
08-27-2004, 08:16 PM
lol :rolleyes: