PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Fights Back

Cuda
07-15-2004, 03:35 PM
My hatred of bimini tops bit back today. I had to go to the dermatologist and had a spot cut out of my forearm today. They are sending it out for analysis. The doc said she thought it was cancerous. :frown:

gcarter
07-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Now you may have a couple of things in common with Jim besides Donzi's.
Sorry to hear it.

George

rchevelle71
07-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear that Cuda,

Does that mean we will see a Bimini on the Formula......

Donzi......

or will you just be spending more time on the Fishboat???

Bigbroadjumper
07-16-2004, 09:24 AM
I hope everything will be OK.

Cuda
07-16-2004, 10:47 AM
The doc said it was most likely squamous cell cancer, which isn't that bad, or perhaps basal cell. She said she knew it wasn't melanoma. Not really a big deal, but less than pleasant.

And no, you won't see a bimini on my Donzi. You will however see me coated in sunscreen more often. :yes:

Cuda
07-16-2004, 10:47 AM
A bit about squamous cell.

Squamous Cell
Squamous cell carcinoma, the second most common skin cancer after basal cell carcinoma, afflicts more than 200,000 Americans each year. It arises from the epidermis and resembles the squamous cells that comprise most of the upper layers of skin. Squamous cell cancers may occur on all areas of the body including the mucous membranes, but are most common in areas exposed to the sun.

Although squamous cell carcinomas usually remain confined to the epidermis for some time, they eventually penetrate the underlying tissues if not treated. In a small percentage of cases, they spread (metastasize) to distant tissues and organs. When this happens, they can be fatal. Squamous cell carcinomas that metastasize most often arise on sites of chronic inflammatory skin conditions or on the mucous membranes or lips.

Cuda
07-16-2004, 10:49 AM
About Basal Cell Carcinoma
The Most Common Skin Cancer
Basal cell carcinoma is the most common form of skin cancer, affecting 800,000 Americans each year. In fact, it is the most common of all cancers. One out of every three new cancers is a skin cancer, and the vast majority are basal cell carcinomas, often referred to by the abbreviation, BCC. These cancers arise in the basal cells, which are at the bottom of the epidermis (outer skin layer). Until recently, those most often affected were older people, particularly men who had worked outdoors. Although the number of new cases has increased sharply each year in the last few decades, the average age of onset of the disease has steadily decreased. More women are getting BCCs than in the past; nonetheless, men still outnumber them greatly.

The Major Cause
Chronic exposure to sunlight is the cause of almost all basal cell carcinomas, which occur most frequently on exposed parts of the body -- the face, ears, neck, scalp, shoulders, and back. Rarely, however, tumors develop on non-exposed areas. In a few cases, contact with arsenic, exposure to radiation, and complications of burns, scars, vaccinations, or even tattoos are contributing factors.

boldts
07-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Cuda,

Allison, Beth & I are keeping you in our prayers. Sorry to hear your news.

Got a case of Celulitus on my foot once from not protecting it in the sun. Nothing like cancer, but a week in the hospital and a foot the size of a boulder was no fun either.

mikev
07-16-2004, 12:27 PM
i had two basal cell spots removed from my back last winter they were the size of quarters takes forever for them to heal. i guess its a sign of getting old but im only 38. I am fair skinned and wear allot of sunscreen but got burnt allot when I was a kid and sunscreen didnt work as well.

2biguns
07-16-2004, 01:13 PM
I had a basal cell car. removed from my left cheek several years ago. Dermatologist found it and suggested that I let a plastic surgeon remove it since my insurance would pay either way.

Ended up going to the McCullough clinic in Birmingham which is quite famous for their boob jobs, among other things. It was a hoot sitting in the waiting room checking out the pre and post hooter candidates.

Got treated like royalty and ended up with no scar. Well worth the deductible! I've seen others who have allowed their dermatologist to cut out the area and the gash left aftwards can be quite unsightly.

Keeping Stella from going through the same thing is the driving force behind our bimini search!

rchevelle71
07-16-2004, 02:31 PM
I had a basal cell car. removed from my left cheek several years ago. Dermatologist found it and suggested that I let a plastic surgeon remove it since my insurance would pay either way.

Ended up going to the McCullough clinic in Birmingham which is quite famous for their boob jobs, among other things. It was a hoot sitting in the waiting room checking out the pre and post hooter candidates.

Got treated like royalty and ended up with no scar. Well worth the deductible! I've seen others who have allowed their dermatologist to cut out the area and the gash left aftwards can be quite unsightly.

Keeping Stella from going through the same thing is the driving force behind our bimini search!
Was that the left cheek on your face?????????

or.................

2biguns
07-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Don't tell but those years of wearing thongs finally took their toll! :rlol:

Fish boy
07-17-2004, 09:06 AM
God luck Cuda and I will keep you in my prayers. Just curious, what did it look like that made you want to see a doctor? I am kinda curious a bout a couple spots myself, and definatly have not gotten to know sunscreen the way I should have.

Fish

pmreed
07-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Cuda, my thoughts are with you.

Since both my parents had skin cancer problems during their lifetimes, I decided to get a complete, stem-to-stern checkout a couple of years ago. Came out clean, but I'll go back every few years even if I don't see anything myself. My daughter's only 31 and has had 5 basal cell cancers removed in the last two years :frown: . She is no longer a sun worshiper and doesn't leave the house without at least an SPF 30 on her exposed skin. When I'm boating, I slather on at least a 45 and repeat every couple of hours or after swimming. Fish, on our Suwannee trip, I didn't even get a hint of red. I hate sunscreen, but there are things I hate more!!

Phil

Cuda
07-17-2004, 12:06 PM
. I hate sunscreen, but there are things I hate more!!

Phil

Yeah, I hate it too, but it is better than needles and scalpels. :frown: