PDA

View Full Version : Any Noise Abatement updates from Canadian Donzi Owners

Rich Maas
07-14-2004, 07:55 PM
This is a 2 part post.

1) Do any of the Canadian Donzi Owners have any updates on the new noise abatement by-laws? I've heard some pretty good rumours that the OPP have been handing out $2,500 fines for boating without a noise abatement system (which should be engaged at all times). I dont have silent choise and am none too thrilled about the $6000 investment that Merc tells me it will be. I'm boating in the muskokas which is a primary target area for noise and fines.

2) Ed Donnelly pointed me to drew marine's shotguns which bolt to the exhaust pipes. It is a $400 investment. Have any of you guys tried these? Do they work well without sacrificing performace? Juding by the amount of hits on the drewmarine.com site, it doesn't look like many have tried them.

Rich

GEOO
07-14-2004, 08:30 PM
I use them. They work well at slow speeds and didn't notice any power loss....

Ed Donnelly
07-14-2004, 10:57 PM
I run Lake Ontario, downtown Toronto, Metro Marine Police are everywhere. They are issuing warnings to everyone without some type of mufflering system, no tickets yet. My Shotguns don't kill the noise, only reduce the bark.When I tie up inside the indoor Marine Police dock, the windows rattle.
Oh yah I service the heating and cooling there and use the Criterion as a service vehicle. Thay wouldn't dare ticket me..Ed

boxy
07-15-2004, 05:27 PM
This is a 2 part post.

1) Do any of the Canadian Donzi Owners have any updates on the new noise abatement by-laws? I've heard some pretty good rumours that the OPP have been handing out $2,500 fines for boating without a noise abatement system (which should be engaged at all times). I dont have silent choise and am none too thrilled about the $6000 investment that Merc tells me it will be. I'm boating in the muskokas which is a primary target area for noise and fines.

2) Ed Donnelly pointed me to drew marine's shotguns which bolt to the exhaust pipes. It is a $400 investment. Have any of you guys tried these? Do they work well without sacrificing performace? Juding by the amount of hits on the drewmarine.com site, it doesn't look like many have tried them.

Rich

Rich, read the question you posted again, put the $6000 grand in your pocket and buy the Shotguns. :D

Silent Choice is NOT a recognized noise abatement system in Ontario, because it is switchable, not permanent. So if you do have it already installed in your boat, make sure you aleways have it on in a HEAT zone, and make sure you cover the tag below the switch.

Scott Heidt
07-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Man what a drag! Fight the man for puttin you down!

That is some crazy stuff!

Come Down to the Hometwon Rally this year and take those mufflers off for a weekend! :)

Scott Heidt
07-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Man what a drag! Fight the man for puttin you down!

That is some crazy stuff!

Come Down to the Hometwon Rally this year and take those mufflers off for a weekend! :)

Rich Maas
07-15-2004, 07:45 PM
hey boxy,

I dont have silent choice. With this law it is looking like soon I'll have "no choice". Do you know if the shotguns will make me legal?

Rich

boxy
07-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Rich, here is a simplified version of the regulation, the actual Canada Coast Guard regulations are in the link below. It looks like you can use a switchable exhaust, if the vessel is a competition vessel. The Drew Shotguns should satisfy any Police Officer.
What's really interesting is how the Antique Boat guys successfully lobbied the Government to remain exempt.

The Federal Government through the Canadian Coast Guard and CMAC, the Canadian Marine Advisory Council (an advisory Board of stake holders sponsored by the Coast Guard to assist in identifying problems related to marine activities) has replaced 1999 regulations with new regulations under the Canadian Shipping Act. These are cloned from the Highway Traffic Act that is familiar to Police, and are more enforceable than the regulations they replace.

In layman's terms, the new law is this:

a) No one may operate a pleasure boat unless it has a muffler in good working order and is in operation at all times to prevent excessive noise, or unless the exhaust gases are directed underwater through the propeller hub or below the cavitation plate.

b) If the boat is equipped with a muffler bypass, it must be disengaged in such a manner that it cannot be engaged accidentally.

c)This does not apply to older boats built prior to 1960 i.e. wooden inboard boats, or race boats in a sanctioned competition.

d) This does not apply if the boat is operated more than five miles from shore, e.g., Lake Simcoe or Great Lakes

A muffler means: an expansion chamber within the exhaust pipe from the engine specifically designed to reduce engine exhaust noise. It does not include a muffler cut out system, straight out exhaust pipes, or a fibre glass packed muffler or by-pass.

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/obs-bsn/regs-stds/appendix_d_e.htm

Lenny
07-16-2004, 03:45 AM
Rich, out here, on the South West COAST, CANADA (Victoria), they don't even KNOW what loud is. NO issues, even at Marinas' with 502's at 7am... and open,...OPEN :)

Just AWE...and smiles and jaw drops...

No issues here 'cuz they are RARE !!! :biggrin.: AND Laws have not even been considered yet...and hopefully never