PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat questions...

dclassic
07-14-2004, 02:26 PM
What does it take to change a classic to hullside color? Can it be done without spending a mint and what are the chances of getting a factory or better finish? Or should one just buy the boat with the color already on it? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dr. Dan
07-14-2004, 09:07 PM
:shades: Well it sounds like you are getting smarter by the minute....Others will comment on the symantics of Gel vs Paint...Cuz I am surely no expert....but I would think if you are happy with the Boat and it is Tight and Clean....you may be surprised and be happy with it as it is....I know I did not look for a Teal Striped 1993.....and once I had it a while....I realized they were not that plentiful....and that Lee or someone is not a fan of Teal so...they stopped offering it....personally...if ya ever see Pearsons Boats....they all have complete different Paint shemes....and Wa Lo from John & Kathy Shabbas is a looker as well...they're are many options...I would buy the Power and Equipt ya want...and worry about the Makeover later....I am guessing you could get the sides shot...or the whole boat...for a couple large$$$ if ya go nuts ...I'd say you could double that.....but there are some craftsman out there that do good work at reasonable prices...ya just have to ask around...
Good Luck in your Search.

Doc :beer:

gcarter
07-14-2004, 09:21 PM
I agree with Dan, buy it, live with it, after a few months the color priority will probably move way down the list.

George

Bad-Tat
07-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Jason,
To give you some idea, Tomahawks teal boat is gel coat and my blackhawk is all paint. The only gel on mine is white. I agree with all that's been said, buy it, run it, get the performance where you want it and then worry about color. We need more Donzi's on Lanier!!!!

Barry Phillips
07-15-2004, 10:38 AM
The current standard factory Classic jel colors are red, flag blue, black, and yellow. I know of a custom 22 that a guy ordered in hunter green to match his Colbalt, which came with factory applied paint. Since the factory dose not jel custom colors anyway, I think a quality paint job would hold up just fine. Bear in mind a boat with colored hull sides would be more difficult to touch up after minor damage. My 22 has red boot and hull strips with white hull sides, very common for Donzi Classics and not my first choice if I had pre-ordered the boat, but now I think it looks great so I am not in any rush to change it.

GDM1952
07-16-2004, 09:27 AM
I just bought a 95 16 White with red stripe down the center. The stripe is quite faded. Not chalky just faded. The white looks new. What is the best way to restore the red finish. Per the factory it is gel coated. The factory said to try fiberglase restorer. Not sure what to look for. BTW what kind of wax do you all reccomend? And while I am thinking about it what should the engine temperature be? I think mine is reading not much over 150. This is too cold for the 15-40 weight oil IMHO
Thanks
Gary Miller