PDA

View Full Version : Transducer 26ZX

Jim
07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
I went back and found a bunch of post's on how the transom transducer doesn't work very well which is what I have found as well. Unless you don't want to go over 5mph's.

I called Gaffrig and the confirmed that I can use the thru hull transducer with my display and I was wondering if any other members have found a good spot on the 26ZX's. I'm thinking
about mounting it in the front bilge area by the 2nd bilge pump since it would be before the first step in the hull. Not sure how long this portion of the hull would be in the water once I get up on plane but would be happy to get a reading up to 30-40mph's. Typically I'm not going faster then that if I'm unsure of the water.

Thanks Jim

Shanghied Again
07-14-2004, 10:20 AM
It will not work toward the front, your best bet is behind the motor a silicone to the floor

MOP
07-14-2004, 10:50 AM
I have done a ton of transducers, on most and particularly on fast boats they need to mounted pretty far aft and out board a ways so as not to disturb water flow to the drive. Most Donzites do not like through hulls, and may go with shooting through the hull in an oil chamber. If you go with an oil chamber it must be mounted on a good open section of the hull, if to close to a hull support readings are degraded quite a bit. Another way to go is with a bit of work a through hull can be made flush with the bottom. I have done several this way by building up a section of glass inside the hull then setting the transducer into a routed out pocket making it flush with the hull, then fairing with fiber based filler and gel coat so it is absolutely smooth leaving the face clean for good readings.

Jim
07-14-2004, 11:35 AM
I just can't believe Donzi didn't figure out a better place for the transducer that would of given a reading while on plane. If you take a look at this pic you can see that the transducer is mounted a little high so as soon as I get on plane it doesn't show a reading. I know in a previous post someone mentioned about lowering it but then you would probably have a constant rooster tail, not sure with the step hull if their is anywhere on the transom that you could really mount it and get a good reading.

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/361jslahtosky30.jpg

I they offer a angle thru-hull transducers that maybe would work a little better if you monuted it 3 to 4 inches up from the keel of the boat. I have to take a look by the back of the bilge but the angle one might allow me to put it off to the side by a inch or so right back by the drain plug.

MOP
07-14-2004, 07:18 PM
That wedgie hockey puck is mounted wrong and is not a very good piece, the only externals that work "fair" is the square ones fitted tightly to the transom and angled down just slightly as per instructions to keep the water against it. that little hockey puck needs to be glued or tanked inside the hull for it to do anything.