PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Valve lash

Bigbroadjumper
07-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Hello, I reinstalled my heads last night and I have a couple of questions. The book I have said to turn the push rods until they are tight and then go another 3/4 turn to set the preload. But in surfing the net today I have read everything from "just take the lash out" to 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, and 3/4 turn. I trust the knowledge here so what do you recomend?

SBC, CAM DYNAMICS CAM
GROSS VALVE LIFT .480 BOTH INT & EXH

DEGREES OF DURATION AT A
TAPPET LIFT OF .050 228 BOTH INT & EXH

VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE
AT .050 IN 7.0 BTDC 41.0 ABDC
TAPPET LIFT EX 51.0 BBDC 3.0 BTDC

CAM IS GROUND WITH A LOBE CENTER SEPARATION
OF 112 DEGREES AND IS 5 CRANK DEGREES ADVANCED.

That being said am I doing this correctly? And when I reinstall my distributor how do I get it close to start the motor so I can use the timing light?

Thanks

GKricheldorf
07-14-2004, 09:27 AM
With your plugs out, drop in your distributor. Crank the motor with a socket and a breaker bar (in the correct direction, do not crank it backwards). You need to find the compression stroke on cylinder #1. Have a buddy cover the #1 plug hole with his finger. With the compression the air pressure will force the air out of the hole. Do it twice just to be sure. Put on your distributor cap on and make sure the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire. If not rotate your distributor so that it does. Tighten it down a bit. Then use timing light.

This is how I set mine. The motor fired right up, then I used a timing light to fine tune it. There may be other ways; this is just how my dad told me to do it.

Glenn

Glenn

MOP
07-14-2004, 09:27 AM
I do the 3/4 for initial setup then get it running with spray clips, then I loosen each vavle until it clacks then slowly tighten until quiet then go 3/4. I pull the covers again at 10 then 50 hours and repeat process.

Phil

Bigbroadjumper
07-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks all, I will have to remove my exhaust manifold because I can't get my valve covers off otherwise. After I did the 3/4 turn I could still turn the push rods?? Is that because the lifters compress?

MOP
07-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks all, I will have to remove my exhaust manifold because I can't get my valve covers off otherwise. After I did the 3/4 turn I could still turn the push rods?? Is that because the lifters compress?

Yes you are centering the lifter oil piston, when you did the initial setup did you make sure each cylinder was at TDC when adjusted?

Phil

Bigbroadjumper
07-14-2004, 10:00 AM
I set the #1 piston at TDC and adjusted 4 intake and 4 exhaust, the rotated the motor 180 degrees and did the other 8 valves. That is how the book said to do it. So I should be OK?????

MOP
07-14-2004, 10:14 AM
I set the #1 piston at TDC and adjusted 4 intake and 4 exhaust, the rotated the motor 180 degrees and did the other 8 valves. That is how the book said to do it. So I should be OK?????

That works fine, I am old school and use to bump them over with a start button and pop each one now I have a fancy marked balancer.

BUIZILLA
07-14-2004, 12:11 PM
BBJ, I think you used the wrong starting sequence. In fact, I know you did. Do not start that engine. You should have started the sequence with cyl #6 *on the rock*. Better if I maybe esplain on the phone...

JH

Bigbroadjumper
07-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Sounds great, my cell phone number is 815 342-2714

Cuda
07-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Here is the order.
Small Block Chevy Valve Adjustment Order
0 deg TDC, both number one valves shut.

Adjust the #1 exhaust valve

Adjust the #1 intake valve

Adjust the #3 exhaust valve

Adjust the #5 intake valve

Adjust the #7 intake valve

Adjust the #2 intake valve
Adjust the #4 exhaust valve
Adjust the #8 exhaust valve

Now rotate the engine 360 degrees. The mark on the balancer should be back at the TDC mark.

Keep in mind that this is not the TDC where #1 would be firing! It's where #6 would fire.

Adjust the #3 intake valve
Adjust the #5 exhaust valve
Adjust the #7 exhaust valve
Adjust the #2 exhaust valve
Adjust the #4 intake valve
Adjust the #6 exhaust valve
Adjust the #6 intake valve
Adjust the #8 intake valve

Cuda
07-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Firing order

Bigbroadjumper
07-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks Cuda, That sounds like the way I did it.

Cuda
07-14-2004, 08:11 PM
The reason I had that info handy is because I just now got finished rechecking all of mine. What a bear! I found a few that were slightly loose, but not enough to explain the noise I'm hearing. I was hoping to find a broken rocker arm or something. :(

Bigbroadjumper
07-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks to all, Cuda sorry to hear you still haven't tracked down that noise. My wife would just turn up the radio. :)

Cuda
07-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks to all, Cuda sorry to hear you still haven't tracked down that noise. My wife would just turn up the radio. :)

If the radio was working, I might do it. :shades: