PDA

View Full Version : Seized Engine...HELP

dr
07-13-2004, 08:04 PM
I need some help please. My engine seized up this past weekend. I know little, very little regarding engines. I am the original owner of a 1995 16 Classic with a 4.3XL Mercrusier. The engine has very low hours, has been well maintained, and only ran in fresh water. At the time the problem occurred, I was going 30-32mph with normal temp/oil pressure. I had been in the water about 15 minutes and this was the first time out this year after having the boat winterized at a dealer (not Donzi) last October.

Today the dealer confirmed the engine was seized up and when asked what he recommended he said I should replace it with a rebuilt one. He estimated the cost for labor and engine to be around $4300. When I asked about what could be done to try to diagnosis the exact problem and repair he said he wouldn’t that due to the amount of labor involved.

My questions are:

What do you recommend? Does this ‘sound right’? Any recommendations for a good mechanic in the greater Knoxville TN area? Rebuild or replace? Costs? Any random thoughts?

Any and all feedback/ideas/thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

BUIZILLA
07-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Call Grooms Engines in Nashville.

Jim

dr
07-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks...The only sign of a problem was about a minute before it sputtered and slowly died, like a fuel problem, restarted, then it seized

mphatc
07-13-2004, 08:39 PM
you have a couple of things you need to check with another tech who is knowledgable . . . .

As this was just running for 15 minutes after being taken out of storage the dealer/shop has some responsibilities . . .for them to simply advise replacement is shirking their responsibilitiy!!!!

I advise you find another tech , independantly and have them inspect the engine . . for everything mentioned above by Poodle and also . .

Does it turn over now, possibly with a large breaker bar/socket or starter motor, or is it SEIZED?

Did this overheat?Did the water pump fail? and it just got so tight that it wouldn't restart? And if this happened right after they serviced it . . . ???

Good Luck, keep us informed

Mario

MOP
07-13-2004, 08:42 PM
I agree with Poodle at the very least pull the spark plugs, could be hydro locked it may just turn over without the plugs if so compression check it. True it may be more serious but the sputtering and restarting sounds like it could be water intrusion. I am getting where I don't trust many shops anymore, being in the biz I hear lots of things. Not saying this is the case with your guy but get a second opinion. $4,300 for a V6 is about ball park marina installed, $3,500 garage installed less with the help of buddies.

Phil

Greg
07-13-2004, 09:59 PM
I am in agreement with Mario. 15 mins. of run time the first time out? And it puked? I'm not saying anybody did anything wrong here, but if it was me, I would go for a second opinion.

Walt. H.
07-14-2004, 07:51 AM
15 minutes of run time, Sounds like someone forgot to put oil back in? Most shops replace the engine oil as part of the winterizing process. Maybe they drained it before lunch and forgot where they left off afterwards????
Its happened before, like leaving the tire lug nuts loose after a brake job. :bonk:
Did you hear any valve lifter tapping noise when you first started the engine?
Someone might just be responsible!
If so you shouldn't have to foot the bill.

Walt

aleagles
07-14-2004, 08:11 AM
If you only ran her for 15 minutes I find it hard to believe she's seized up. Oil or no oil she would of lasted longer than that. I've got a real good idea she's hydolocked. I suggest pulling the plugs and look for water. If there is water let it sit with the plugs out so it will dry out. Or you might want to invest in a shop-vac with a wand hose. Then take a little mobile one oil and pour it in the plug wholes. I mean a little bit of oil. 1/4 of an oz. And let it sit for a day or so to soak back in. Then try turning it over slow and check for compression. Next question I have is there any water or anti-freeze in the oil? Or did any oil leak from the engine you can see? Next question I have is did you launch the boat or was it done for you?

this is it
07-14-2004, 08:21 AM
I had the same situation happen to me. I placed a phone call into my homeowners insurance agent who happen to also insure the mechanic. I got a check for 5K under his insurance policy due to neglect. I took the money got a rebuilt had it installed. I am not one to create an insurance situation to pay for errors on my part, but this time it worked out. The mechanic who winterized it should have given you a bill and now that is the evidence that you need.

GeneD
07-18-2004, 07:23 AM
A seized drive will have the same symptoms as a seized engine. First things first, take the drive off and try to start the engine.
$4300 for a removal and replacement is out of control...IMO.

marcdups
07-18-2004, 07:42 AM
sounds like cracked cylinder walls to me due to improper winterzing, any water in the cylinders or oil??, bet there is a crack just under the heads if you pull the intake off, should not take more than 1/2 hour to diagnose.

dr
07-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Although I’ve not had the chance to try it out yet, I’ve picked up my boat from the dealer who insisted that the engine was seized and it turns out that I was hydro locked after all.

So we’re talking about less than $300 as opposed to $4300.

I want to thank everyone for the sound advice and input, esp. Madpoodle, Mphata, MOP, and Aleagles. Although I would have seriously questioned the engine being seized based on logic, a little mechanical aptitude (edumucated as an engineer) and the fact that I about as tight as they come; the information and support I received made my inquiry much more convincing and timely.

As a casual user of this site I’ve always enjoyed it for the entertainment and information….but what’s always impressed me the most is its member’s willingness to take the time to help others.

With that said, the recent post requesting some assistance in funding this site ‘It is time that the helpee's do some HELPING!’ could not have been timelier……my checks in the mail, and thank you again.

David

MOP
07-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Glad to hear you are up and running, I think your was going at your problem without Dio. You would be surprised just how much goes on in this industry, anyway Happy Donzi Daze!

Phill