PDA

View Full Version : Speed

metraman
07-13-2004, 07:01 PM
I live on a rather small inland lake and haven't had a opportunity to get to lake Erie yet. When you guys are running all out how long does it take to get there 80 MPH? [Distance]

metraman
07-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Thats one answer anyone got another.

GEOO
07-13-2004, 08:42 PM
About 1000 feet.. :wink:
Depends on boat, power, prop size. etc....
Not many Donzi's go 80.

mphatc
07-13-2004, 08:43 PM
That depends . . .

an old H&M Donzi . . forever . . to maybe never

Geoo . . from a standing start or from a plane . . either way faster than most! and from 50 mph to 80 . . .100 yards!

for me. it depends if I am towing uphill, downhill or how straight the highway is . . .

Dr Dan has a new blue pill, does it go 80???? do we wait till Winni to find out??

Mario

Murphy
07-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Secondary question. How long does it take to get into deep sh-- in a boat at 80 mph? Answer: "0".
Second Secondary question. How much does it cost when you hit a roller at 65 mph and launch your sister into the front seat? Answer: $300 ambulance ride, $700 emergency room visit, $45 prescription back pain medication, 2-weeks lost work, 2-weeks on my couch eating my food watching my TV.
Third Secondary question. How did I miss it? Answer: Overcast day, dark sunglasses. Just didn't see it. Hope you're more fortunate at 80 mph than I was at 65.

Be extra careful out there.

Murph

txtaz
07-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Yikes Murphy, How big was that roller? Just curious so I don't get in that situation.
Wes

roadtrip se
07-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Metraman,

I can be at 80 in 20 seconds or so, once on plane.

Murphy makes a good point, anything over about 60 is done with a life jacket on every passenger and no booze in the driver's system.

The beauty of having the ability to get to 80 isn't being there,
it's getting there! Torque, not HP, is the secret.

So when you going to come over to St Clair and show off that Classic?

Todd

Stix Magill
07-13-2004, 10:39 PM
My Minx 20 is not fast compared to many boats on the list, but it tops out at 60. My boating is on an 8 mile long (very deep) slew with almost no other traffic but lots of winding turns. Then it runs to the main body and down to the gulf. I have to be very careful to avoid chine walk, even though I don't have much power. After I am in a straight away at cruising speed (40), I can trim it up and get to top speed in about 15 seconds. I have to adjust differently for different loads and water conditions for best top speed. At 55 thru the turns, it gets my attention!

I hope this is the kind of info you are looking for.

Scott Smith

MOP
07-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Murphy hit it on the head. You just can't run that hard for long for a long time without having something happen, real easy to hurt passengers and the boat. I run in a bay not much bigger than many lakes, I am careful but do run near or at WOT a bit but try to pick my water. A roller can sneak up from many angle. some if not spotted give you a hell of a roll others pound the beans out of you. Jet skis and sail boats are unpredictable even some bigger boats do stupid things, going fast you have to be looking out for quite a bit.

Phil

TuxedoPk
07-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Phil- Maybe you or one of the other more experienced members could possibly start a new threat giving some advice on how to read the water and how to deal with certain conditions.

I've found it great getting more throttle time but that just means more stuffing the boat into waves and unexpected launches until you learn how to handle the boat properly in varying conditions. I haven't seen this type of information in print or on the net anywhere- just the occasional comment in a threat from someone discussing something stupid they've done.

MOP
07-13-2004, 11:36 PM
There is no trick to reading the water keep your eyes open and moving any thing "spotted" needs attention and reaction as best you can, you have to stay attentive all the time. I get hammered maybe not as much as some, no one gets away with smooth sailing all of the time. It takes a big boat to run real hard, I can't afford one so I watch my butt.

Phil

Dr. Dan
07-14-2004, 05:53 AM
:smash: The Blue Pill gets there in a hurry....does it go 80....probably ....seeings that I had it to 78 in Lake George..with a full tank in 85 degree heat with tabs still dragging and more Throttle to go.....but it was fast enough.

Everyone is correct here.....High Speed Runs although exciting...are not where you spend most of your time....generally....you cruise in the 45 to 55 range....like Murphy describes...it only takes a second....and then it's too late. I had a similar experience on a different boat driven by a friend...where I was thrown into a passenger...I broke her Pelvis in 3 spots....literally in half...it was a scary experience.

:spongebob Speed runs should be reserved for the calmer less traveled waters...when ya have friends around to help out should something...happen...they are not for when you are cruisin with a boat load of passengers.....its just not worth it....unless you are in a larger Hulled Boat...then I think the parameters can move up a bit...but stuff still can happen quick even on a non classic hull(ZX,Fountain....ETC) don't believe me....watch some footage of a professsional boat race sometime....it happens very quickly when it hits the fan.

Tux...as anyone who has spent any length of time on the water can attest to...Seat Time in your boat is your best teacher....as far as reading the waves...I would suggest an exercise next time you are out on the water.

1.) Watch the directional boat traffic....know that each and every boat regardless of size, impacts the water it is running through...larger displacement hulls like a 12' Beam Sea Ray Express Cruiser...will visibly through a wake...there are usually
2 wakes.....the larger one is apparent off the Transom...the front is often less apparent and visible....but look closely and you will see it.

2.) watch how long it takes for approaching boats to the Cruiser wake to be affected....when they ride up or splash you can get a visual marker of what the wake speed approaching you is. This whole scenarios is multplied hundreds of times in a seriously busy channel or waterway traffic. Making it necessary to be looking at and reading the water...constantly....the faster you go the better and quicker you have to be able to read the water conditions.

3.) Where people get into trouble...is they don't drive their boats...they ride in them. What I mean is ya have to sortof treat the water like a Mountain. Like you are skiing down...always respect it....and watch out for Moguls hidden in the shadows.....cuz they will spank you when ya least expect it.

4.) Watch for other boats wakes and cross closer to a perpendicular bisect to there line to your hulls "directional running surface", adjust your speed down before you approach it(unless you trying to launch of it) and power through it....turning back into your original direction once you have crossed the wake. I know this sounds like something simple but few people do this....most drive in a straight line and get their butts kicked....its more like a slolam course. It also helps to trim your drive down slightly so that if you launch you have a quicker response on the throttle at a more predictable attitude once you land...or make it through the wake. Once you are on the other side...throttle up again and be on your way.....all of this is combined with a constant adjustment of Throttle Speed,Drive Trim Angel and even monitoring your Tabs...it can be alot to keep track of....but I can pick out an experienced driver from a distance.....their boats whole demeanor in the water is different....more like it is working in concert with the changing water, not fighting it and just busting waves....

5.) Watch at Donzi Events....and you can tell who is spending their time on the water learning how to drive their classics....all of these hulls are very sensitve to horsepower and trim angle....its what makes them such a blast to drive....but in the hands of inexperience.....they can be a wild and unpredictable ride...give you and your passengers time....and learn your hulls characteristics of behavior....it is not all about going fast....its about having fun and a safe and enjoyable experience.

6.) Any one can drive a boat fast......but not everyone can or should drive a fast boat! :beer:

This has been another rambling diatribe by an otherwise non qualified non medical doctor....guard your pets and sheep! :jestera:

Doc :smash:

GEOO
07-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Mario,
I've never timed or clocked my boat. But I'm pretty sure she do 100 in the 1/4 mile from an idle.

Murphy,
Dan hit it on the head.
Speed is dangerous. Boating is very dynamic.

The ground (water) is constantly changing. You have to pay attention 100% of the time. That 1% that you look down can get you in trouble. At high speeds I look ahead as far as I can and still focus on the water, scaning slightly right to left. Any slight change in the wave pattern or the thought of being one, I back off the throttle. Passengers are your responsiblity. They need to communicate and more importantly the driver needs to communicate to the passengers on what to expect and what to do.
If your passenger(s) had a lot to drink don't drive hard someone could get hurt.
Let your boat teach you. If something doesn't feel good find out what you did to cause it and don't do it again.
You can't run WOT at will, the conditions need to be right. Always slow down before you turn, you're not in a race.

MOP
07-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Dan all I can say is WONDERFUL! U iz Da Man!

DoTheMath
07-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Wow Dr. Dan, that was quite a dissertation on what to do, not do and when to do or not do it. And I would have to agree with you 100% too. I like the exercise on the boat wakes BTW, it's IS the ones that you can't really see that get you every time. :eek!:

I have owned several performance boats, the 18 Classic I just bought is the smallest of them all, (by 4') and as I am now finding out the most fun!! I just sold a 27 Formula with a 540hp BB and it ran just about 80 in the right water, I thought that was a fun boat at the time, not so much. The first day I got behind the wheel of the 18 it felt as if I was learning to drive a boat all over again, it appeared to ride like crap, was sensative (overly I thought) to every little tab and trim input and I was having a hell of time figuring it out. Now fast forward, about 12 hours of seat time and I am really starting to figure it out. I took a friend for a ride last weekend, and he was blown away by the ride and performance, with me driving. I then let him - an experienced performance boater as well - get behind the wheel and he was a mess, it was too funny! I have been over 100 mph in cats (big and small), just short of 100 in Vee's (big and small), and I can honestly say that there is nothing more (purely) fun then going fast in this 18! And yes, you do need to "drive" it all the time, (that must be why it's so fun?)things happen MUCH faster and you have MUCH less time to react and very little margin for error in this boat, big trouble can happen in a blink.

(side bar)GEOO, I am not sure if you are nuts or possibly one of the bravest people I have never met, but 100+ in an 18 Classic is... well, I am not sure. :) Not sure if it would be fun, scary or what, but I would be sure to be sporting a fresh set of Depends either way :biggrin: . BTW, I told my wife about your boat, she cringed and then uttered something along the lines of "don't even get any ideas there Mr.!!". She knows I eat, sleep and breathe anything to do with performance boating - (maybe it was that call to Whipple I made last week that clued her in this time around!?:shades: ).

In any event, I just wanted to lend my .02 to this and say that if you are looking at anything over 60 in ANY boat, please be confident in your skills, ability, KNOW YOUR BOAT and be smart, no booze. To quote a wise State Trooper from MN, "Big sips sink ships, be a responsible boater". And know your passengers, if they are not seasoned and familiar with going fast, don't. Water is a funny medium, maybe that's what the thrill and attraction is, but unlike pavement, it is dynamic and will surprise you every time!!

Ok, that's my .02 to add for this morning... happy boating and is it Friday yet!?

blackhawk
07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
One thing no one mentioned that helped me considerably was polarized sunglasses. A good pair will take a huge amount of glare off the water and make the waves much easier to see and read.

Back to the original question my boat does take awhile to squeeze the last couple mph out of her. It's funny because in the right conditions it will just keep going faster without me touching the trim or tabs.

Murphy
07-14-2004, 05:23 PM
I described the event to a pilot friend of mine who flies float planes. Told him I thought I missed the roller due to poor light and dark glasses. He indicated to me that many float plane pilots will not wear polarized glasses because they make it harder to see the reflections that tell you what the water is doing. In my case, I approached the roller from an angle where I could not see a reflection or a difference in the water surface. I was stone sober with both eyes on the water at the time, no other boats in site. A totally freak event. I learned a good lesson about what happens when you launch a 22 into the air at speed. Fortunately, the balance and design of the boat saved my butt. The landing was hard and at an angle, so back seat passengers took a hell of a horizontal hit. Front seat passengers didn't get the same jolt. Keep those back seat folks in mind at all times. My wife, who was also in the back seat indicated that if the kids had been riding there they probably would have been ejected from the boat. Fortunately, everybody's back to normal, but I learned a first-hand lesson about safety. Guess it's true... that which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

Murph

Murph

blackhawk
07-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Murphy, interesting thought on the glasses your friend had. Maybe from the air it's different. But from sitting in a boat and looking ahead my polarized shades made a huge difference. I can actually see what waves are doing because there is no distortions from sunlight reflections.

Dr. Dan
07-14-2004, 08:32 PM
:bonk: Good Point....on eye protection....I happen to have Polarized Perscription Sunglasses...and they are amazing to see with....I have friends that use Goggles and Bayz and all have good feedback.....I do know that at sustained speed intervals...in a Donzi, and hitting a wake...can make you blink your dried Contact Lenses right out of your eyes or they will get blown out when ya turn side ways....."Ask me how I know this?" :wavey: This is why I aquired the Perscription Sun Shades....

Doc

blackhawk
07-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah, contacts don't work well with the 22 classic windshield. I know first hand as well!