PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick sunglasses!

ChromeGorilla
07-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Ok, since the puppy ate my sunglasses, gonna get some new ones....torn between these 4. Which ones?

1. Wire Tap

2. Splice

3. Half Jacket

4. Waterjacket

Digger
07-13-2004, 06:59 PM
If you're serious about seeing the best you can while on the water get a pair of Maui Jim polarized glasses.

browse them here (http://www.mauijim.com)

for flying or boating I wouldn't wear anything else. trust me on this I've tried them all.

ChromeGorilla
07-13-2004, 07:10 PM
MJ's are fantastic I know. (Bought my dad a pair for his B-Day 2 years ago) But in general I don't like the looks of them. I'm goin for style. Want somethin sporty. Had a nice pair of Serengetti's with glass lenses that the dog destroyed. Just wanna be pimpin' :cool:

BUIZILLA
07-13-2004, 08:06 PM
If you value your eyes, and where your going... MJ's are the only ticket.
I have the Volcano series, and like Digger, i've owned them ALL, MJ's are the BEST all around, hands down.

JH

Speed-Racer
07-13-2004, 08:24 PM

I have some Arnette's, and have been great so far.

ChromeGorilla
07-13-2004, 08:29 PM
I do like the Arnette "Stance". Sand color with blue streaks

Speed-Racer
07-13-2004, 08:57 PM
I think I know which ones your talk'n about....

I have to have glasses that cover and hug my eyes completely, I hate seeing light around the lenses while wearing them.

Oakley has more of an agressive style, Arnette's have more stream lined and simple designs....just like DONZI's :p

Patti
07-13-2004, 09:20 PM
I like the first ones..the Wire Taps..

I think those are the same ones Jamie just got 2 weeks ago..they are nice! :)

harbormaster
07-13-2004, 10:23 PM
4. Waterjacket

TuxedoPk
07-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Digger/Buz- Which MJ's did you go with? I haven't worn glasses since my lasik surgery 5 years ago but I've been noticing I'm squinting a lot out on the water (not helped when your boats don't have windshields)

Digger
07-14-2004, 03:52 AM
Tux I have two pair. Kapalua Titanium, very light weight, polycarb lenses, best for me for flying since they work great under a headset/helmet. Second pr are Kahuna's, a little beefier, heavier, glass lenses, for boating.

TuxedoPk
07-14-2004, 04:51 AM
Tux I have two pair. Kapalua Titanium, very light weight, polycarb lenses, best for me for flying since they work great under a headset/helmet. Second pr are Kahuna's, a little beefier, heavier, glass lenses, for boating.

Thanks.. I was looking at the grey Kahunas when I first went up to Maui's site. There are two dealers within a few miles of me so I'll go look at them later today.

ToonaFish
07-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Are the Mauis Ranman proof?

Bunches,

Celene 'thinking Titanium might not be enough to bear his bare foot's weight'

Dax McDavid
07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
I have pair of Bolle' they are ok. MJ's BEst. But I like #4

boxy
07-14-2004, 05:35 PM
CG, I have a pair of the Juliette's, they look like the Splice's. They offer lots of wind protection. You may find the Wire Tap's don't give you enough wind protection in the boat, I also have a pair of E-wire's, and they look great, but don't offer much high speed wind protection. If you are just going to wear them in the 18, I would definetly pick the WaterJackets.
Good luck.

ChromeGorilla
07-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Prob gonna get either splices or h2o jackets. just changed oil again...and drive lube.....about 25 hrs of breakin in. gonna rock it this weekend. Goin to mall tommorow to pick up some shades. I'll let ya know which ones i get....gonna need some eye protection as I collect some GPS data :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

TuxedoPk
07-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Digger/Buz- I asked my girlfriend to join me checking out the Maui Jims today. Holy crap- what a difference between them and any other sunglass! I really wasn't expecting the difference to be so substantial.

End result, I ended up buying the Volcanos which fit around my eyes as tight as a Hepa mask and my girlfriend who was already happy with her sunglasses bought a pair of tortise Malias.

Thanks big time for the recommendation. Gotta go sit outside and wait for the next eclipse.

BUIZILLA
07-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Tux, next to finding your rudder, this will be the best investment you can make.

JH :garfield:

Digger
07-15-2004, 05:38 AM
awesome! enjoy!

DonziChick
07-15-2004, 08:29 AM
If you still want votes, I like #1 :)