PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with this trailer?

TuxedoPk
07-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm a bit perplexed as to whether I should invest in updating my GT's trailer or just replace it. It's got a brand new dbl wheel tongue jack & winch and the brakes work well, needs a spare tire and rewiring of the lights if I keep it.

The problem is that the rollers don't adequately support the boat.

Since the trailer itself is structually fine would it make sense to remove the rollers and convert it to a bunk trailer? I'd rather not get hit with the expense of a new trailer, but I've got a couple of 5 hour pulls this season and need to have something reliable.

I'm still shocked I made it 32 hrs roundtrip to AOTH w/o any problems. (Other than the boat passing me on the highway- once :bonk: )

GKricheldorf
07-12-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm no trailer expert, but i have a friend that can weld like no tomorrow. Can you determine where the rollers should be? Cut those supports off and weld them back on in the correct place.

Greg Maier
07-12-2004, 06:55 PM
I would buy a new one. A Donzi looks so much better on a new trailer.

RPD
07-12-2004, 07:40 PM
If the trailer is structurally fine, and the axels/hubs/tires are OK.... it makes sense to me to have this one modified to fit your boat... trailer shops are a dime a dozen and lots of these guys are very good and can make sure your boat is properly supported... essentially you would then have a custom trailer... and a good clean job would look as good,though not necessarily as flashy as a new trailer.. just my opinion, and you know how opinions are....

mphatc
07-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Convert it to bunks . . there are numerous internet suppliers of all the hardware to make this a do it yourself job. A GOOGLE search under boat trailer hardware, or supplies etc will lead you to everything.

It's easy once you establish the keel roller heights and the front rear balance, ie; tongue weight /axle location.

You want to have two bunks on each side and they need to carry through to the transom with support.

Fabricate your own bunks from knot free pressure treated lumber, recess the carriage bolts flush and cover with a soft synthetic carpet that dries quickly . . you don't want the bunks to stay wet and you don't want the wet surface against the boat for long periods as it can add to osmotic blistering.

Mario L.

Cuda
07-12-2004, 09:15 PM
If they are available in your area, get some cypress beams and make the bunks. I'd leave the rollers on too, the boat will ride above them on the bunks, but sometimes at a steep angle, the boat will "stab" the trailer, and it's better if it's stabbing the rollers. You can buy the brackets for mounting the bunks, and use u-bolts to attach them to two crossmembers, that way you can adjust the bunks in and out for the best fit. Perfect fit would be just off the rollers, keeping the boat as low as you can on the trailer. By moving the bunks in or out, you adjust how high it sits on the trailer. I'd consider putting one more crossmember at the very back to to add some strenght. If you don't weld, it doesn't matter, most trailers are bolted together anyway. You will also need to cut a v-block for the bow to nestle into. I just threw away some BIG cypress beams I had left over when I was in the trailer building business with this guy a few years ago. You should to be able to do it in a day easily.

MOP
07-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Rich I would investigate redoing it into a bunk setup, the older I beam trailers if kept up with were better than box beam. The I beam ones you can see if they going bad, the box or tube style many times look pretty good until the fall aprt from internal rusting. Maintain it and keep the rust in check it will be around for a long time.

Phil

TuxedoPk
07-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Phil- What's wrong? By now you'd usually have posted a link to the parts to order and the place with the best prices :)

What do I need to take into consideration when figuring out where to mount the bunks because of how low the rudder hangs? How much clearance should I have between the road and the bottom of the rudder?

Scott Pearson
07-13-2004, 05:13 AM
Rich,
First of all I wouldnt touch that trailer to change it in anyway. I looks like an original Rocket trailer. As far as getting a new trailer instead of sinking the money into this one its a choice you will have to make. But, if you do go that route please let me know if you are interested in selling me this one. I would love to get this trailer under my V-Drive Hornet. I would be willing to give you a good price for it so to off set the cost of a new one.

Thanks!

Scott
LGDCC

MOP
07-13-2004, 06:46 AM
If that is an original Rocket like Pearson says it would be a shame to fool with it, you two should strike deal then you can get a nice new one. The Rocket will be in good hands with Pearson, glad he recognized it and jumped in.

Phil

TuxedoPk
07-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Scott- Yes, a Rocket. That was one of the first things CDMA commented on when we pulled up to look at the boat. Expense aside, it was one of the reasons that I wanted to fix up the trailer rather than replacing it.

Based on the pictures, what would you recommend that I do to fix the trailer up to better tow the GT? If I ever do plan on replacing the trailer, I'll give you a call first.

I'll take a closer look next time I'm at the marina but I thought I saw another rocket across the lawn. If it is, I'll shoot some pics and try to find out who owns it.

boldts
07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Hummmm, upgrade, rebuild or buy new? I tend to agree with Mr. Pearson to a point. Are you planning to have the boat refurbished to a condition like the day it came off the assembly line? Would Donzi let you place the refurbished boat and trailer in their front office on display like a museum piece?

A Rocket in its day may have been one of the best trailers ever built. I don't know because I wasn't pricing Rocket trailers back then. By today's standards and depending on how much actual use you want to use the trailer and boat, I'd side with the update rebuild side or buy new side.

I had a trailer that was not built right for my 18 Classic. Dad and I spent a lot of time and money updating that trailer so I could tow anywhere at a moments notice. One of the first things I did was put 4 bunks on the trailer and made it a drive on version. This is the correct thing to do for 2 reasons. Better support for the boat and your now not holding up 50 of your meanest boaters trying to line up a boat on a 1/2 A**** trailer with only a few rollers. Not to mention how a bunk trailer lines itself up on a windy afternoon.

For me, it's all about getting the boat to the lake and enjoying the boat on the water in the safest manor available. No one but a purest is looking at the trailer at the launch ramp. They're looking at the boat and reading DONZI. The only time they even look at the trailer is after you've launched or as your pulling the rig back up the ramp after making 50 of the meanest boaters wait an hour while you lined up the boat on that trailer.

Personally, if it was me, I'd sell it to a person I have all the respect in the world for, Scott Pearson and use that money to help buy something new and useable. Trips to Sarasota, Kentucky, West Coast, and 1000 Islands are much easier when you have a quality piece under your Donzi.

Now, if you decide to keep the Rocket, it might help the resale to a purest. Your average boater isn't going to care because like said before; they're looking at the boat. Ask me how I know this. Put brakes and bunks on the trailer along with updated suspension, tires and forget about it.

Been there, done that and by the time I was done, could have bought a new ready to roll Rolls traveling all over the country with-out a worry.

Popping the pop corn.

Forrest
07-14-2004, 02:25 PM
I agree with Boldts, sell it to Pearson before he changes his mind and buy a new aluminum I-beam trailer.

Cuda
07-14-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm with Bolts here. I'd make it more functional by putting bunks under it. I don't think there is a big market for collectable trailers, but if someone is going completely for the original look, it might have value to them, but I imagine that pool is very small. Give me a new aluminum bunk trailer anyday over a collectable roller trailer.

Dr. Dan
07-14-2004, 08:52 PM
:umbrella: I Tow a fair amount....I have figured it out in the past and I think we average 15,000 to 20,000 miles per Summer to Donzi Events....

I rebuilt mine 2 years ago after the Center Supports literally Split the Trailer in Half and the Donzi ended up riding home on the Axles....not cool....
after about $1200 of Fun and Games...its like a Gladiator...but it still is rusting and it still is heavy....So I would advise ...if you are looking to actually attend a handfull of Regional Events...Get a Fresh Aluminum Trailer....there are many deals to be had out there...and you are centrally located to shop for one, they are substantially lighter to Tow

....Mine is on my Christmas List For Santa already....unfortunately now that I have begun the Blue Pill Process...I can't stop at the Trailer...so I may go to Myco or Extreme and have a Nice Custom One made for the Blue Venom Project....I mean its only money..... :spongebob

Doc :beer: