PDA

View Full Version : Moderately Priced Sound System

TuxedoPk
07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
What would be a good configuration for a reliable sound system for the GT? I'm not looking to install a high end killer system, but would like to have something that will sound good and make afternoons out on the water more enjoyable.

marcdups
07-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Audiofin seems to be the KING, paged him the other day but to no avail, guess he is enjoying the missus's DONZI more than he let's us to believe :tongue: :idea: :eek!:

gtex
07-12-2004, 05:43 PM
I've built systems in cars and boats. I think most any vehicle can be good with 4 speakers (2-way) and a subwoofer. You may want 6 speakers if you need sound in the front of a bow rider or in the cabin. You might need more in a bigger boat.

Anyway, back to a simple 4 speaker setup. A decent head unit, and reasonable speakers work fine. Spend the money on a quality Amplifier. Get an amp with a built in cross-over for the subwoofer. The sub can be in a simple pre-fabricate denlosure, and you can hide it just about anywhere. Aim the driver or port towards the fiberglass wall of the boat, and you will be surprised how much sound you get.

If you want a CD changer, get one. I would be more tempted to use an MP3 type jukebox in a boat, just to avoid all the mechanical parts in a changer. I run an MP3 jukebox in my project truck. 1200 songs, it's only 1/3 full, never skips and sounds very good.
If this is more than you were looking for, let me know. I can help with a simpler or more complex system.

GKricheldorf
07-12-2004, 06:18 PM
One thing you may also need to consider if you already haven't is dual batteries. I need to add another battery and also a more powerful alternator. I keep having power issues when the stereo is turned up and try to use any other ekectronics - ie - engine hatch, blower motor, etc..

TuxedoPk
07-12-2004, 06:23 PM
I keep a spare battery in the eng. compartment which could be used.

Any specific brand/model recommendations for the various components (Which meet stated objectives-Not trying to compete with Randy's sound system) ?

GKricheldorf
07-12-2004, 06:29 PM
When i buy stereo equipment for my Jeep, Boat, Home i usually always go with Sony. Not that they are any better then Kenwood and the other mfgs. I just got sick of having 10 different remote controls hanging around.

Also - get the extended warranties. Every year my cd player in my Jeep goes out. Ususally from water :wink: and all i do is take it back and tell them it's broke - here is my warranty info.

gtex
07-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Most of the major brand decks and speakers in teh moderate price range are comparable in my opinion. Sony, Kenwood etc. For speakers look for a 2 way with a polypropylene cone, that can handle 50-150 watts. Avoid brands that seem too cheap. You should be able to get good 2 way speakers for $50-150 pair.

You should be able to get a decent CD deck for $100-200. Again, the major brands are fine. If you feel special step up to an Alpine or similar quality in the $300-400 range. Look for a deck with line level outputs, and inputs if you think you might go with an MP3 player later. Also, consider chaner control capability if you want to go that route. The deck is where I see a lot of people waste money. If you like buttons and light shows, go ahead. For good sound and dependability, keep it simple.

The AMP. This is what makes the difference in sound quality. It's power output should match your speaker capability. However, amp power ratings mean very little. You will see $100 amps that advertise "500 watts". Look to spend $300-$400 for a good multi channel AMP. It will probably be in the 4 channel x 50-75 watts power range. I'm a big Alpine fan, but there are other brands, just make sure they are comparably priced to the Alpine.

tell me more about your boat and your budget.

my 2 cents

TuxedoPk
07-12-2004, 09:17 PM
The Boat is a 1970 21' Donzi GT. Similar seating to the 22' (2+3), no cuddy or open bow.

Budget wise, I was looking to spend $500-$1000 range. I anticipate the Doral being my primary boat once it is restored so I really don't want to over invest in the GT's audio.

Any suggestions for which specific components combined will give me the best sound within that budget?

Can anyone with a GT tell me where you mounted your speakers? There are storage hatches on both sides of the boat between the front seats and rear bench.

Stix Magill
07-12-2004, 09:21 PM
I am also about to upgrade my system.
I sell P.A. systems and recording gear at my music stores, the Guitar Galleries of Alabama (http://www.theguitargallery.com). It is common knowledge in our business that the transducers (energy converters) are the most important part of the chain. If this is true in stereo land as well, you should buy the best SPEAKERS you can afford. They will be more accurate and durable. As far as the power rating on the speakers, they don't mean much. Buy a name brand power amp and never run a system above the level that cause audible distortion. The square wave of solid state gear "clipping" (distortion) is what destroys speakers, not clean power. It is common in live sound to run 300w cabinets with 1400 watts for the cleanest sound.
I hope to stay with Sony like the previous post mentioned.

Good luck and let us know what you install.
Scott Smith

blackhawk
07-13-2004, 08:15 AM
I have a CD head unit, 10 disc changer, 4 6 1/2" 3-way speakers, a 10" dual voice coil sub and a 5-way amp that powers everything. Everything is Sony and I have good luck with the system. I have replaced the changer twice, but the second time was just a couple months after purchase(and covered under warranty) so I think it had a problem from day one as it was a display model. But, as GKricheldorf said, I would get the extended warranty on the changer at the least.

harbormaster
07-13-2004, 08:23 AM
I bought a JVC Head unit that is sat Radio/cd changer ready. It also plays MP3 CDs and has a wireless remote. It was only 129.00. It sounds awesome.

I have it couples to (2) 5 way jvc speakers, and a 1200 watt amp pusing (2) 12" sony Xplode subwoofers.

The whole system came to a little above 300 bucks.

I previously had bought a Kenwood marine deck at Boat US and it did not last as long as the previous cd player I had bought for 80 bucks at Walmart.

Dax McDavid
07-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I bought a 149.00 Seaworthy package that included 6.5 " 2-way speakers and a detachable face cd deck from BoatersWorld. You may laugh, but it has lasted longer than my dads expensive Clarion system. Sounds great and if the water ever ruins it I am only out 150.00. It is all I need.
:us-texas:

mikev
07-13-2004, 10:45 AM
i used the sony explode speakers they have the poly cone so they can take the moisture and the speaker grills are through bolted instead of snap on so they stay put when you hit the rough water. they sound great i got the 3 way 6X9's at walmart for $79.00.

txtaz
07-13-2004, 11:16 AM
I used the JBL marine cd player with 4 Sony 6.5 coax speakers powered by a Pyle marine 4 channel 1000 watt amp. I also added an 8" Clarion powered sub that is bolt and go. i.e. It is a complete enclosure, amp and sub in a nice pakage.
It sounds good but still can't hear it at speed. Like mentioned before, make sure you get something flexible in case you want to add on later.
HM great job on a $300 system. Next time I'm coming to you for advice.
Wes

hottub
07-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Side note..........Find a reciever that has a remote control as well. Even in as small a space as the insides of a 22 or a 21 GT its nice to have the remote control so you can adjust volume, songs, etc when on the fly or coming into the dock without having to reach over to the passenger side. A little strip of velcro on the corner of the dash next to the windshield and to the back of the remote and you have it all at your fingertips. Might cost you a bit more but sure worth the extra $$$$.

TuxedoPk
07-14-2004, 12:26 AM
Hottub-Yes, I agree that a remote will be quite convenient and worthwhile to have.

Txtaz-Unless I do something with my exhaust, I'm not going to hear anything other than engine unless I borrow Randy's stereo. I'm hoping that I'll get to see/not hear good silencers at M.A.D.C.O.W. Right now its a but of a nuisance to have to come off plane to be able to hear a conversation in the boat.

Harbormaster- Way to go on a $300 system! Can you post which models you used? What amp? If you were doing it over again today, would you change anything in your configuration?

Stix- I agree with you on the speakers. Before I did my theater which included video components I typically allocated 40% of my audio system budgets on the speakers. What are the better sounding speakers to use?

gtex
07-14-2004, 12:36 AM
I hate to disagree, but I've built many systems. Speakers are speakers, unless you go into the real eclectic stuff. (I've got ribbons in my home system)

I've built many systems on what many people would consider cheap speakers. I used a good quality, power matched amplifier. People were blown away.

Exepnsive speakers need expensive power. Unless you are sitting in an acoustically controlled environment, you'll never know the difference.

In a boat..forget about it.

TuxedoPk
07-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Home stereo audio- I've noticed a big difference between different speakers. My 22 year old Missions are still reproduce sound better than most I've heard. They've always been driven by either seperates or a decent Dennon receiver.

I just had an idea that might save me some $$ and clear out my basement. At my old office we had a multimedia auditorium that sat about 60. The soundsystem used 5 inexpensive JBL 125 Satellites and a boxed sub and sounded amazingly good for the size and cost and are currently just gathering dust.

Any reason that I shouldn't use (4) of the satellites? If I go this path, will the powered sub be too much of an electric drain to run off a battery?

*Ignore the center speaker- the spare's I've got are the satellites.

gtex
07-14-2004, 07:39 AM
A couple things to look for with those speakers: what impedance are they? And, is the system or sub self powered with 110v power?

Even at 8 ohms, like most home speakers, you can still make it work, it's just not as efficient as with 4 ohm speakers typically used in mobile applications.

ALso, do you think they have paper cones, will they like water?

Forrest
07-14-2004, 08:46 AM
If you want great set of speakers for a boat that sound pretty decent and are totally water proof, check out Babb speakers (http://www.babbspeakers.com/) . . . and they are made in the USA (Texas)! Not cheap but worth it. For head units, I like the Clairon marine stuff, but to each their own.

I agree with gtex that electronics make all the difference, but would be in a controlled environment such a listening room in a house (at home I'm using Threshold, Audio Note, Bryston, & Linn). In an open boat you'll need something that will first survive the environment and sound fairly decent within the limitations of speaker placement and the 12v power supply, as well as low current demands so the battery(s) will last as long as necessary with the engine off - and still start the engine.

blackhawk
07-14-2004, 04:02 PM
I would not use 8 ohm satellite speakers. Won't sound that great, won't look good and as gtex stated they probably have paper cones. Just my $.02. I love my Sony Explode speakers. They sound great and as Mikev stated they have the poly cone. I think I paid $50 a pair for my 6.5"s and I still can't believe how loud they will play for how small they are. Even before I had an amp were loud.

And I can hear my stereo at speed, even at 75+. Not that I ever want to though, I prefer the sound of the motor! ;)

TuxedoPk
07-14-2004, 08:30 PM
I'll be stopping by a local dealer to listen to a few systems and hopefully purchasing one over the next two weeks.

Thanks for all the recommendations which will shorten my search.

Rich

Ed Donnelly
07-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Be sure to check out Bose marine speakers, waterproof and enclosed sound chambers, nice Bass for a standard speaker...Ed