PDA

View Full Version : Hit a rock Question??

markdonzi
07-12-2004, 09:22 AM
This weekend I hit a rock taking my daughter and her friends tubing. My question is. The skeg on the bottom of the lower unit is bent approx one half inch to one side. Should I try to bend it back and. My engine when I turn it off now makes a weird sound like my flywheel is slipping. How can I tell if I have injured internal parts on my engine??
markdonzi

GKricheldorf
07-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Hi MarkDonzi,

I would pull the top off your upper section of your drive. That slipping sound may very well be the coupler bolted on the flywheel. I had to replace mine last week after hitting something. The rubber that surrounds the coupler turned to tar. What happened was I broke a tooth off a gear in the upper. It lodged itself in the gears. Seized the drive shaft. When the motor was on the coupler would make a very bad sound and emitted smoke from the back of the motor and it smelled like rubber.

On the back of my Z25 there is a garden hose connector. I pulled my drive off and connected a hose to it and plugged the water intake port. Turned over the motor and that god awful noise was gone. I knew at that point what the problem was.

Good Luck

markdonzi
07-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your guidance. I am having the mechanic check the flywheel. I hope it is just a new prop needed however.
markdonzi

GKricheldorf
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
If your paying a mechanic a new prop would be great. If you have to replace the flywheel coupler it requires the motor to be removed. That a big labor charge for a $130 part.

vanstee
07-13-2004, 02:11 PM
I'd also pull the oil plugs and check the magnets for shavings. Might show if a gear is trying to eat itself.

MOP
07-13-2004, 02:39 PM
I'd also pull the oil plugs and check the magnets for shavings. Might show if a gear is trying to eat itself.

An oil check an always thing after hitting anything, plus the prop hub will let go way before the coupler. Pull the prop you usually can see where some of the rubber has been squished out and beaded up between the prop and the hub.

markdonzi
07-23-2004, 08:11 AM
It was just a new prop. Got a new 19 Pitch Mirage Plus. Runs about the same 58 or 9 on the speedo.