PDA

View Full Version : MOP??? ya there? VOLVO ?/problem

Boat_Mon
07-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Hey guys, got an issue,

I was running my boat pretty hard at a range of 3800 to 4200 RPM for about an hour solid. During that time of course I'm adjusting the trim of the motor based on speed, water conditions etc...... Well, on my last run to the house things were going fine, I tried to trim out (up) a bit and when I hit the trim button, the motor died for a split second (at least for the duration that I held the button). I quickly released the trim switch and the motor continued running, of course, I repeated it, and same result. Then as I'm coming into dock and obviously slowing down below 2k RPM the motor just quit. Turn the key, nothing. I checked all of the resettable breakers, seemed fine. There is 3 on the front of the motor and one on the side. Then I noticed when I turn the key there is an extemely small (less then half a millimeter) movement in the gauge needles. I'm pretty certain this is electrical, I just need a place to start on trouble shooting. I got no JUICE!!

Volvo Penta 5.0 FI w/SX Cobra drive.

As always, everyones help is appreciated.

gcarter
07-12-2004, 09:38 AM
It's possible your alternator is not producing. The scenario goes like this;
The battery is fully charged so everything goes OK, but during the day because the alternator isn't charging, the battery gets lower and lower. Finally it gets so low, when you try to trim, there's not enough current to keep the engine running so it dies.
Charge the battery. Check the alternator belt, it may be loose.
Start the engine, use a multimeter set to DC volts across the battery terminals, positive to positive and negative to negative. If the alternator is working the voltage at the battery will be over 14. If it's 12 or less, the alternator isn't working. Have the alternator checked. It may still have some wiring issues.

George

Boat_Mon
07-12-2004, 09:53 AM
hmmm, this is good. When the rain breaks I'll check it out. This boat is a 96 with less than 50 hours on it, I don't THINK there should be any wiring problems but hey, who knows. Also, I do recall 2 times that I heard a screach from the belt that indicated a slip. I'm on it!!

Checkpoint 1: Battery.....

BUIZILLA
07-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Ignition switch or main fuse link for a loose connection.

Boat_Mon
07-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Buiz,

Ok, when you say ignition switch, that means where I put the key in......I checked the connections, they looked solid. Do you mean the actual solid state portion of the ignition switch? If so, how would you recommend I test it? must be a way to confirm currency through two of the connectors...

Also, I have checked the safety lanyard. Yes its in. Also Typically when the lanyard is OFF I get absolutely nothing on the needles. This is not the case now, I get slight movement in the needles when I switch to on.

Also again to speak to Mr. Carters thoughts, I've never considered the battery because I ALWAYs get a strong start, anyhow, as part of due diligence, I will confirm.

Thanks guys.

gcarter
07-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Just to clarify, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your battery. But I'm sure it's dead. The only reason to check the battery voltage is to verify the alternator is working. The battery voltage is 12, the alternator output is 14.4 to 16 VDC.

George :yes:

Boat_Mon
07-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Ok George,

imagine my surprise when the battery had a full charge on it! Then I did the inspection of the main inline fuse (50) and it was fine. Tested that current was making it past each breaker.....it was. The apparent issue was a loose ground cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh. I had visually inspected it but not put my hands on it until I went out to start my run through with multimeter. even then I didn't figure it out until I was about to pull the battery.

O-well no boating time lost, all is good. Thanks again guys

gcarter
07-12-2004, 06:20 PM
DUHHH!!!
We all keep forgetting the obvious!
These things don't get used much, and connections should always be the first thing we should check!

George

Boat_Mon
07-12-2004, 06:23 PM
LOL, yup, thats what I was saying to myself when I was wondering how I was going to bring myself to post what it turned out to be!!! :cussball:

MOP
07-12-2004, 09:06 PM
YUP what they said! :beer:

Cuda
07-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Those pesky damn grounds!