PDA

View Full Version : Ranman

HyperDonzi
07-12-2004, 05:09 AM
Does your Alpine CD Player play burnt CD's?

Ranman
07-12-2004, 08:17 AM
It did. :wink: I've upgraded to a Kenwood MP3 player now so the Alpine in on a shelf in the garage.

HyperDonzi
07-12-2004, 08:26 AM
What type of CD's did you use and what burner program?

Ranman
07-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Memorex CD's and Easy CD Creator by Roxio (formerly Adaptec).

McGary911
07-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Hyper, I think you'll find that most new players will play burnt cds. The only consistant exception I've found is Sony stuff. They are also a large music company, and i think they're afraid that someone may download free mp3s and burn their own cds :eek!: Now who would do such a thing ;)

I also use Roxio, and have never had any problems, although Nero is good too.

rayjay
07-12-2004, 12:47 PM
...The only consistant exception I've found is Sony stuff. They are also a large music company, and i think they're afraid that someone may download free mp3s and burn their own cds :eek!: Now who would do such a thing ;)...

I worked for SONY before taking an early retirement package. Except for the bottom of the line units almost everything since 2002 will play MP3's and CD-R's. For some reason stores loved to buy up older SONY products and then put them out as a "sale" item. I see SONY models that are 3 and 4 years old out there all the time. If you see a SONY item, check the unit at CRUTCHFIELD (http://www.crutchfield.com/index.html) to see if it is a current model.

rayjay

Cuda
07-12-2004, 09:55 PM
I hate to sound completely ignorant, but can someone explain MP3 to me? Keep in mind I have absolutely no idea what this is. I remember freaking out the first time I went to the record store and they had no records! :(

Ranman
07-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Cuda,

MP3 is a file format like JPG, GIF or MPG. MP3's are audio files (data) containing near CD quality sound with roughly 12:1 compression. A standard CD holds 640MB of data or 74 minutes of audio. 640Mb of MP3 data equals roughly 640 minutes of near cd quality audio. This means you can store literally hundreds of songs (MP3 files) on a single recordable disc. Some new car/boat stereos will recognize and play MP3 files just as they would play a regular CD.

I can now create and store my entire 100+ CD collection on a few inexpensive recordable discs and play them in the boat at will without worrying about my original CD collection. With 100+ songs on one disc, it's like having an 8 disc changer built right into the head unit except it's just all on one CD. Get it?

TuxedoPk
07-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Randy-Did you go with the KDC MP6025?

Ranman
07-13-2004, 10:05 AM
I would have to double check the actual number on the head unit, but after looking at Kenwood's web site, that sure does look like the same one I have.

HyperDonzi
07-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I hate to sound completely ignorant, but can someone explain MP3 to me? Keep in mind I have absolutely no idea what this is. I remember freaking out the first time I went to the record store and they had no records! :(

As ranman said. CD quality, I fit 210 songs on a 80 min 700mb CD!!!! Great little piece of technology.

Ray Jay, Have it already, just dosent play Burnt CD's, someone told me to try different types of CD's, and I didnt want to try every different type of CD out there.

Thanks for the help Randy.