PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust hose burn through

David O
07-11-2004, 11:02 AM
I am using Lawrence 4"ID Marine Type Wet Exhaust service hose. Yesterday I noticed what looked like a split in the hose right at the back edge of the Stainless Marine exhaust riser is inside the hose. Today I pulled the hose and found the inside layer of both hose's completely burned through with the metal spiral coils showing.
When running hard at 5200 rpm the temp will get up near 200 on the water temp otherwise it stays around 160 to 165.
What's up? Am I using the wrong type hose? Is there a better hose? ETC.?
David

Rootsy
07-11-2004, 11:07 AM
you have a cooling issue somewhere... the hose will only burn through when there is a lack of water to cool it...

your motor should NOT run hotter than the thermostat which is inside of it... at ANY rpm... 200 is way too hot...

my motor runs a 165 thermostat and it'll run 160 - 165 constantly... even at 5700 rpm for a minute or more at a time...

David O
07-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Rootsy
I removed the thermostat to get it to stay in the 160 degree range. With the thermostat which was a 160 degree thermo it would stay in the 180 to 200 range. removing the thermostat and switching back to the thru the foot pickup verses transom pickup, it now stays for the most part in the 160 degree range and that is with our 80 something degree water.
Am wondering if when flushing the engine here in the driveway the exhaust may be getting to hot. usually when flusing I have water coming out the exhaust pipes and out of the pickup in the foot. Yesterday I flushed at 1100 rpm and the temp stayed under 150 and I had no water coming out of the foot, only the exhaust pipe. Just wondering if I have damaged the hoses flushing at idle verses at 1000 to 1100 rpm.
I guess I have the right type hoses and should be looking at a circulation problem, correct?
David