PDA

View Full Version : Tech ??? Spline grease

mphatc
07-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Is there anything special to this stuff?

Everywhere it says to use Merc.'s special grease . . is this stuff really unique?

Mario getting closer . . . . slowly

Donzigo
07-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Not sure about "special" grease. I take my propellers off every month or so and grease everything with lithium grease. Seems to work for me.

Rootsy
07-11-2004, 11:16 AM
yeah no chit MP that blue stuff is nasty in the laundry...

the merc blue spline grease will withstand water washing and penetration like a champ and it is specifically used for severe loading applications like in splines... so it stays on the surface and doesn't let the splines actually touch and wear each other out...

when you pull the drive in the spring the grease will be a nasty gray... just imagine the wear if there was NO grease... it also makes removal very easy... no grease and you might as well get a big hammer and a gorilla to remove that drive...

i use merc blue spline grease on the input splines for the sterndrive as well as the propshaft... and i use 2-4-C for everything else...

mphatc
07-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks!!!

Sounds just like Redline Synthetic grease . .stuff can't be washed out of anything!

Redline CV-2 Synthetic Grease

Anyone ever use this instead? I am a Redline dealer, this is always in stock.

Mario

MOP
07-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Mario you are probably right about the other products, I would call to be sure. It is essential to use spine grease on input shafts and outboard motor drive shafts. I have seen other stuff tried it did not fair well.

Phil

Forrest
07-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Spline grease usually contains molybdenum disulfide, which gives it that near black color that stains clothes.

Ranman
07-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Jamie,

Why is the blue spline grease superior to the 2-4-C? I've been using 2-4-C on the splines instead of the blue stuff.

Actually, I've pretty much standardized on the 2-4-C for everything. I use it on the boat, in the trailer bearings, on the snowmibiles, you name it. Keeps me from having to keep multiple grease guns and I always know what's in the gun.

I'm just wondering if I xhould really switch to the spline grease for the splines???

pipnit
07-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Use either the special merc grease or thier teflon based grease. Do not use lithium grease unless you plan on doing maintance on a very regular basis. I won't even put lithium grease on my dirt bike it is so weak and doesn't hold upto water. Aluminum based greases like the merc or belray is the ticket for longevity.

gcarter
07-21-2004, 01:50 PM
OK, I was following this thread carefully while it was going on, because I had just filled my coupler with 2-4-C!!
So yesterday while at the local Merc dealer, I asked about this stuff and they knew nothing about it. They use 2-4-C on everything.
So does anyone have a part number for the spline grease?

GKricheldorf
07-21-2004, 03:56 PM
GCarter,

I have a tube of Mercruiser spline grease at home. I'll post the part number tonight if no one else beats me to it.

pmreed
07-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Part Number : 92-802859A 1

Phil

Cuda
07-21-2004, 04:36 PM
I didn't know there was a special spline grease. I use the marine wheel bearing grease. Should I clean it off and change?

mphatc
07-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Cuda, stay with what you have if what you have is pure synthetic . .

After reading all of the above . . I will be using

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?productID=54

I carry this in stock if anyone is interested. My expereince has been that Redline products out perform any other lubricant in extreme temperature pressure applications.
Personal experience with this product on 4x4 driveshafts and u-joints on mud buggies and jeeps to road race wheel bearings . . and high speed ball bearing cam followers . . .10 years and no failures!

Mario L.