PDA

View Full Version : I need help wiring a trim switch

gold-n-rod
07-10-2004, 05:36 PM
I am trying to wire in a steering wheel trim switch. I presently have a top mount MC control with trim switch in the T-handle and I also have a "Trailering" switch at the helm.

The red/purple/blue/green wire pack that comes to the helm from the transom was wired like this:

R - split into 2 wires, one to the trailer switch and one to the controls
P - to the Trailer switch
B - to the control
G - to the control

The directions that came with the unit say to wire as follows:

Purple to the power wire in the cable using a fused connection.
Green to green.
Blue to blue.

I assumed the purple was the power wire. Since it was split to the Trailer switch, I left it that way. I connected all three purples together (purple from the transom, purple to the trailer switch and the purple on the new switch), and blue to blue and green to green. The red wire is still split to go to the trailer switch and the is still connected to the control.

This just doesn't feel right. Anyone out there who can help?

Thanks in advance.

another Randy

Greg Maier
07-10-2004, 07:36 PM
I don't know if this is relevant, but the purple wires that run up to the helm on my Donzi are for the kill switch. :confused:

gold-n-rod
07-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Yikes! I'm stuck until I hear from someone. I don't want to turn the power on and learn the hard way that I've done it wrong.

Here's some more info. The R/P/B/G wire pack is one loom of wires all molded together (like a trailer light loom). This must be standard for Mercs? Just a guess.

I really need to know what the red wire does as well as the purple. On my original installation, the purple only went to the Trailer switch and the red went to both the switch in the control and to the Trailer switch.

HELP!!!! :shocking:

another Randy

gold-n-rod
07-11-2004, 07:52 PM
To the Top. Sorry, but I am still waiting for some assistance. Anyone?? :confused:

another Randy

gold-n-rod
07-12-2004, 09:52 PM
OK, I got over 60 looks at this post but no answer. Based on the number of views and a post from a couple months back that went unanswered, I guess no one knew the answer. After posting on a couple of other boards, I got an answer. I am posting what I found so that the next guy can avoid the trouble.

Red - 12 volt power (it is split to go to the trailer up switch)
Purple - up function that does not go through the up limiter switch. This also goes to the trailer up switch.
Green - down trim
Blue - up trim, limited by the limiter switch.

another Randy

vanstee
07-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Just had mine redone. Green is down, blue is up, red power. Can't help on the other.