PDA

View Full Version : Smoke on the Water...Bertram Moppie

Tony
07-09-2004, 08:47 PM
This is a sweet 1978 Bertram Moppie. I am kicking myself for not asking where it is from or who owns it, but I could probably find out if someone is dying to know.

By the way, www.smokeonthewaterpokerrun.com is hosted by www.worldwidemarineins.com, whose contact is Bob Lueeler at 800-339-1235. He is writing a lot of policies on high performance boats. He works his butt off running this poker run, with proceeds going to the "Make-a-Wish Foundation". Also, Powerboat Magazine named this one of the top ten poker runs in the nation.

BERTRAM BOY
07-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Wowww......That thing is BAD ASS........

McGary911
07-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Wow, that's pretty. Staggered motors and Volvo drives? I've never seen a Moppie. That thing is sweet. Looks like it just came off a recent resto. Very nice. Thanks.

Biskit
07-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Did any body notice how close the props are to each other on this boat. I wonder how that works? Biskit

BUIZILLA
07-09-2004, 10:04 PM
The drives look like white painted TRS, or early #2 Speedmasters??

JH :wink:

McGary911
07-09-2004, 10:11 PM
The gimbals DO look like they could be for some TRSs. I admit, I'm not all that familiar with volvos, and just went by the color.

Biskit, the drives are close together, because of the staggered engines, one in front of the other. Check the scoops. They are directly above the carbs. Should give you the idea. Staggered engines can tend to keep the props in the water more, make it a bit harder to turn, change the balance of the boat, and make your exhaust cost a LOT more money....

Biskit
07-10-2004, 12:30 PM
So being that close togeather doesn't cause turbulance between the two. I'm sure they are rotating the same direction. Just didn't understand the theory for having them so close together unless the width of the boat only allowed it. Seems like being that close they would be fighting each other for more water. I run a alpha ss and understand getting the prop just enough water. Any more input is welcome. Biskit

boldts
07-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Not a big expert here, so I may be wrong, but having the engines closer to the center of the boat helps the balance of the boat. Moving 1 engine in front of the other even though it is still off to the side of the other engine moves some of the engine weight forward and balances the load better. Most of your offshore race boats run counter rotating drives and props. I would bet that this boat is also turning the props in opposite directions.

What a beautiful example of an early offshore race boat. Anyone think we could talk him and the new owner of Satan's Chariot into bringing the boats to Kentucky and AOTH V?

Sagbay32
07-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Good archiving MP!

Cuda
07-10-2004, 04:47 PM
How long is a Moppie? Cool boat.

Ross
07-10-2004, 06:04 PM
The original Moppie's are 31'. This looks like a larger version of the 28' Baron.

Greg
07-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Many years ago the had an off-shore race on Lk. Mich. in Chicago. After the race we were still sitting and that boat Dynasaur pulled up about 1/4 mi. away. Sat and idled for a couple of minutes and then drove away. Baddest sounding boat I heard in a long time. Never got close enough to see what it was. If it is the same boat it had some evil sounding motors in it.

olredalert
07-11-2004, 06:03 PM
--------The red Bertram is owned by a guy who is part of the family that owns Wolverine Bronze in Roseville (Detroit suburb). An extensive restoration was done on it in the Ft.Liquerdale area (Oakland Park) the last couple of years, and was finished last year. He bought it from the guy that owns Speedmasters. It is just as beautiful as the pics suggest.........Bill S

olredalert
07-11-2004, 10:46 PM
-------I must be off on my timeline more than a bit. My bad! I believe all the rest of the info to be correct though.............Bill S

Fast Shafts
07-28-2004, 02:16 PM
I love those classics! I believe there were only 9 of the 38's produced. The one pictured was run by Sammy James who started off as a mechanic/rigger for Bertram. At one time, astonaught Gordon Cooper raced on this boat with Sammy.
The yellow "Dynosaur" was originally "Bennihana".
These boats were notorious for "Chine walking" at high speeds. During the late 70's the Bertram 38 and the Cigarette 36 were the boats to beat.
Thanks for posting pics.!

McGary911
12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
What brings this back to the top, you ask? I just saw this boat for sale...

http://secure.offshoreonly.com/geoclassifieds/classifieds.php?a=2&b=3203

Price:
$ 285,000

Year: 1977
Length: 38 feet
Make: Other
Model: 38 Bertram Competition

Loosely translated, that means "McGary ain't gettin' it" :D

olredalert
12-30-2004, 08:11 PM
--------Yup, thats the boat. Paul said he was going to put it on the market sometime. He has another boat that he likes as well but Ive forgotten what it is.........Bill S

Tony
01-04-2005, 11:03 AM
I've got a DVD of the 2004 Smoke On The Water Poker Run, it's about 90 minutes long and has some decent footage of the boats entered, running at speed, including the Bertram discussed on this thread.

If anyone is interested, shoot me an e-mail with your address and I will send you a copy.

JimG
01-04-2005, 12:54 PM
That's the old "Natural Light" boat. Tons of history!

thescooter
01-08-2005, 09:30 AM
niccccccccccce booooooaat. that is a beautiful 38. is that the one speedmasters had for sale a few years ago in florida ? that 38 has the motors staggered witch helps with c. of g. and overall performace. my friend has a aprox 2003 40 fountain set up that way. the drives look like a merc not a volvo. the old volvos would have a lack of easy prop selection for that type of boat and could not handle that horsepower requirement . i have volvos with that problem on my 28 bertram baron with pics on this site. did they finish the cabin on that 38 bertram ? i was interested in that boat in about 1999 -2000, but got caught up in my 28 baron and other things in my life at the time. glad to see someelse bought it and did a fine job on it best of luck to the new owner just love the lines on that 38. tell us more if anyone knows. the drive on twins are usually conter rotating in or out, the closer the drives to center the better the performance. nick the scooter

olredalert
01-08-2005, 11:36 AM
--------I do know that he bought the boat from Speedmasters. I believe the transaction could have gone smoother, and the boat needed some help which it got in spades. I havent seen the boat in the flesh, so to speak, so cant answer the rest of your questions. Sorry about that.
--------Have just seen the pics of your 28. What a boat! Just beautiful!!!!!!................Bill S