PDA

View Full Version : GT 21 Guages and Console

TuxedoPk
07-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I've got a collection of mismatched guages (vdo, autometer,stuart warner) in the GT and want to redo the guages. The center console of the boat is also severely faded and needs to be refabricated.

The boat is currently painted all white- hull and deck, no stripes, white interior with black piping.

Q. What would be the best looking/reasonably priced guages to install?

Q. Would the center console look best as wood, powder coat, or diamond?

The dash currently has small guages 2 unused small guages, an small oil guage, and larger Tach & Speedo. The console currently has oil pressure (2nd one?), volt meter, water temp, fuel and hours meter.

I've been considering relocating the volt and water temp guages to the dash and creating a new console with the switches, fuel/ignition key, radio & 276 GPS Chartplotter.

This will kill the classic look of the center console though..

Any feedback on how to locate everything to get the best aesthetic?

lee
07-09-2004, 03:45 PM
how much is the guage dash plate will you sell without the guages

TuxedoPk
07-09-2004, 03:49 PM
how much is the guage dash plate will you sell without the guages

I'll be happy to donate it as a board fundraiser once I've got another one in place.

Jamesbon
07-09-2004, 10:09 PM
...thought you would never ask.

I'd have to say the Autometer marine or Gaffrigs are the best looking, however, they may/may not be the most reasonably priced units to install.

Whatever you decide to re-fabricate your center console with, keep in mind, you might not want something highly reflective. (gotta keep that glare from the sun out of your eyes) I had the same problem with my c.c., in the end, I removed the console to provide more leg room and much better access to the bow storage area and re-located the guages to the dash in a custom polished aluminum dash plate. With that said, I found the console to be unique and classy looking, however, the added functionality of removing it, was worth it.

If you keep the console, I really like the idea of mounting your chartplotter in there.

Below are some old pics of my rig, before and during restoration.

Should be some good food for thought. :)

...oh yeah! SHOW US SOME PICS OF YOUR RIG! Seems to me, that the GT doesn't get the "press" it should around here. :banghead:

TuxedoPk
07-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Nathan- Great looking boat. Thanks, I totally missed the glare factor.

Was your dash held on by anything other than the top mounted screws into the deck? I haven't pulled up my carpet yet but what holds the console in place?

Please post some pics of your new dash. I'll post some shots of my rig this weekend.

I completely agree with you, the GT doesn't get nearly the attention it should. BOLTS, start thinking GT reunion :)

Rootsy
07-10-2004, 12:16 PM
my vote is for autometer ultralites in the marine flavor :) in automotive applications i've put them through living hell and they take a lickin and keep on tickin :)

i have autometers in my 16 - not the permium versions - and they always work and they are pretty darn accurate when compared to secondary calibrated instrumentation.

TuxedoPk
07-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Just ordered a complete set of the Silver Autometer Pro Comp Marine Ultralight Guages and new senders- can't wait for them to get here tomorrow. I also picked up a matching clock (not labeled marine) which unfortunately is on back order along with the fuel level guage, which isn't a problem since I've been known not to look at it anyway :bonk:

I ordered from Rex Marine but if anyone is looking for the white guages Trick Marine has the 2" guages significantly less at $28/each.

Jamie- Thanks for the advice.

TuxedoPk
07-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Here are some pics of the GT before installing new guages or redoing the console.

Issues:

- Which 2" guages to install in dash?
- Radio: In-dash or in-console?
- New layout for console incorporating Garmin 276
- Where can I get an extra vent?

* I appreciate Donzi's attention to detail stamping their name on the engine hatch locks