PDA

View Full Version : 260 Mercruiser Starting Problem

Bug
07-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Lose of power at low RPM then will not crank properly
when restarting. Battery wires get HOT when trying to crank
I checked all main wire connections, positive to starter
negetive to block. Still will not crank right and wires get HOT. Could it be Ignition switch ? I noticed lately that I had to back of switch a little for it to start.
Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

gcarter
07-08-2004, 10:16 PM
The starter may be dragging. Might be time for a starter rebuild.

George

Cuda
07-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Is it the entire cable getting hot. or mostly at the terminal?

MOP
07-08-2004, 10:50 PM
The Lose of power at low RPM then will not crank properly!

That gets me thinking it is other than the starter I'm leaning toward a motor issue, first I would pull the plugs to see if they show anything, it is obvious the starter is working hard. Its the why?

Bug
07-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Cuda, It's mostly hot at the terminals on the pos. & neg. sides

Mop, The first thing I checked were the plug thinking they
were fouled out (same plugs from last year) so when I changed they all looked good.Also changed distributor cap
and rotor.

Gcarter, Do you think a starter solenoid could cause problem?

gcarter
07-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Maybe, and it's cheap enough to change anyway. But its's been my experience if the starter internals are dragging, there's not enough current left for the ignition to work properly. Starters are cheap too.

George :wavey:

Cuda
07-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Are they swagged or clamped terminals? If they are clamped, I'd check that.

MOP
07-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Put a volt meter on both the batery and the big starter terminal, it should read the same both locations. then hook it to the starters big terminal then hit the key switch see how much drop you get. I still can't understand the lose of power thing, unless your voltage is dropping down low enough to effect ignition voltage. Have you load tested the battery? Even if fairly new it may not be up to snuff. The poor terminal to wire connections that Cuda is talking about can cause a lot of loss, it would be worth atleast as mentioned re-crimp them.

Bug
07-09-2004, 08:16 PM
MOP, After you mentioned that it could be a motor issue I
again thought to check the plugs, well the first plug I pulled
water poured out of hole. So I guess you know what I'm doing
next? Going for a complete rebuild at this point since I ran the
boat last week when this all started I imagine I did some real damage.
Thank You all for your input.
Ken

MOP
07-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Not necessarily, put the muffs on to wet the drive pump but pull the water feed off to the engine and dump it over the side, spin it with no plugs blow the water out. Do a compression check if reasonable (none under 100 lbs) put the plugs back in and start it up (still without water) just long enough (run it up 15-2000 rpm) to fog the crap out of it use cheap 30wt smoke it good and kill it. That will hold things while you do some poking around to find the water source. Now back to the compression check you may find one or two real low usually indicates head gasket, if fairly high usually exhaust leaking water. Don't panic many many have swallowed water one way or another and when fixed were just fine. Let us know what you find.

Phil

gcarter
07-10-2004, 10:35 AM
That was a great call Phil! :propeller

George

GKricheldorf
07-10-2004, 03:33 PM
If it not to much trouble you may want to open up your timing cover. If your chain is loose you may have skipped a few teeth Causing your engine's timing to be off. An engine can have a hard time turning over if the compression and exhaust storkes are off. Good luck - been there done that nit very long ago.

GeneD
07-18-2004, 09:02 AM
This sounds to me like a riser/manifold issue.
This has happened to me more than once. Hydro-loc...
If your oil is milky, you can rinse the motor out with diesel fuel, a bit unorthodox, but it's worked for me.
Drain oil, fill with diesel fuel, remove distributor and replace with engine pre-oiler. You can make one from an old distributor. Put drill on distributor shaft and pump diesel through the engine for a while, then drain and repeat. This will take a few applications. Do this until the diesel is clear.
Fix your manifolds.
Of course, a compression test will tell you if you blew any rings. Then the rebuild is a foregone conclusion...

Bug
07-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks Gene, I'm replacing exhaust manifolds and risers did
a compression test and looked pretty good.
Ken

marcdups
07-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Lucky man :yes: :yes:

MOP
07-24-2004, 08:38 AM
The Bug made the trip to LI to snag the exhaust off the 22, Ken is heading back to NJ with a near new set of Osco's. He hopes to be running for the Jackson event. Got to see pics of his 18, super nice boat one to be proud of. Always so nice to put a face with the typing fingers.

Phil

Dixie Doug
07-24-2004, 09:35 AM
If you have a boat with merc. exhaust I would put merc back on it.It will be easier

MOP
07-24-2004, 09:47 AM
If you have a boat with merc. exhaust I would put merc back on it.It will be easier

The Oscos are an exact replacement with all the same mounting studs for the shift converter and ignition pack everything fit just like stock. Another plus is they last longer, they seem to be made of a better grade of iron and use S/S exhaust inserts that help the risers to last also. Anyone who has used them will say they get more time out of them.

Phil

Dixie Doug
07-24-2004, 09:56 AM
The Oscos are an exact replacement with all the same mounting studs for the shift converter and ignition pack everything fit just like stock. Another plus is they last longer, they seem to be made of a better grade of iron and use S/S exhaust inserts that help the risers to last also. Anyone who has used them will say they get more time out of them.

Philgood luck:banghead:

Bug
07-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi Phil,Thanks for all your help on finding the problem and steering me thur it I have a great deal of respect for a man
like you with all of your expertize in the marine business.
It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope to see you at one
of the events.
Ken

MOP
07-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Like wise Ken enjoyed the short stay and the usual BS-ing, did get a couple of hours in on the header install and cutting the 4" holes. Should have the beast running soon, we will have to have a couple of cool ones next time!

Phil

Bug
07-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Phil that sound like a great idea. How about if I tow my
18' 2+3 with me and you can show me around your water ways? It looked like alot of good areas to do some boating in?
:beer:

MOP
07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Phil that sound like a great idea. How about if I tow my
18' 2+3 with me and you can show me around your water ways? It looked like alot of good areas to do some boating in?
:beer:

Sounds like a great idea, my ramp is 1/4 mile away and a real good one though usually a bit crowded. I have 5 or 6 other ramps depending on what you want to see or where you want to go. Lots of options, plus there is always Claudio's a Buddy's place where quite a few of the hot boats go. Maybe we can get a few Donzi's together for the day, maybe Mighty Mouse will venture over again.

Phil