PDA

View Full Version : S pipes or straight back to the tips?

Moody Blu'
07-08-2004, 08:11 PM
I will have my new exhaust system soon and was wondeirng what most of yall run. S pipe or straight back form the riser??

do i really need the s pipe? sounds like it could save the motor from blowing up if water comes in due to reversion. Isnt reversion particular to a certain style cam though?

any help is greatly appreciated :)

heres a pic of the benihanna that looks like there straight back why not just do that?

Moody Blu'
07-08-2004, 10:56 PM
I was thinking, couldnt I run the water directly out of the maifolds and not run water through the risers?
Will the temperatures be to high to do this?

MOP
07-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Broque did you stick a car cam in that Ford block? Is that why you are thinking of dry stacking it, the risers will run super hot with no water flow. Maybe you need a set of Jet Boat over the transom pipes LOL the noise police would love you. If you think the cam is iffy post the specs one of the smarter motor guys will give you their thoughts.

Phil

Moody Blu'
07-09-2004, 08:02 AM
the cam was custom grinded for me. Im more worried about a wave goin up the exhaust pipe.

are the S pipes needed, or will the angle fromt he risers be enough??? the tips have stainless flappers in them so do i really need the s pipes?

anyone? jeez :confused:

McGary911
07-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Broque, what setup did you order? I believe the stainless marine setup can go directly to the transom, but you want the tips to be a bit lower than the top of your upper pipe. Thats your riser. I believe you had the glenwood logs on previously, no? A setup like that should have a riser.

Maybe a pic or a link to what you have on the way would help....sorry if i missed this info in another post....

PS, if i get my motor buttoned back up today, a run to the water's edge may be in order....thats in your neck of the woods, no?

MOP
07-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Awwh don't be bashful run a set of nasty looking rubber flappers, they will do the trick.

Phil

smoothie
07-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Blu,if your tips have internal flappers ya shouldnt have to worry about back wash from waves with straight pipes,but for reverson,if you installed a high lift cam with less than 112 deg lobe centers you may have to run "dry" exhaust depending on where your water exits the pipes,if the water exits close to your tips (like a ol alum log) you may be ok,but if you have a stock merc type center riser you may have some issues depending again on the cam your running and where the water comes out of the center riser,some mfg's have put small "dams" at the end of the riser to prevent this disaster,Im running 108 lobe centers with 534 lift on the exhaust valve,,,sounds like a funny car at idle :yes: been running for 3 years this way with no problems.One other thing with straight exhaust and center risers,dont run your boat on the trailer sitting on a hill or sitting on the trailer tongue because guess where the water is going to drain :bawling:

penbroke
07-09-2004, 10:12 PM
sounds like a funny car at idle :yes:

:D :D :D

Frank

Moody Blu'
07-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Broque, what setup did you order? I believe the stainless marine setup can go directly to the transom, but you want the tips to be a bit lower than the top of your upper pipe. Thats your riser. I believe you had the glenwood logs on previously, no? A setup like that should have a riser.

Maybe a pic or a link to what you have on the way would help....sorry if i missed this info in another post....

PS, if i get my motor buttoned back up today, a run to the water's edge may be in order....thats in your neck of the woods, no?
I ordered the cp performance manifolds and hardin stainless risers. Ill meet up with you by dutchmans if i ever get myboat in the water. I've been waiting on it along with a new interior from built rite, which shipped today :cool: