PDA

View Full Version : And now the bad news

Cuda
07-08-2004, 07:47 PM
I got the water pump pulley problem fixed, and the electrical done. I pulled the Minx out of the garage to fire it up before taking it out for prop testing. I got it fired up ok, but now I'm hearing a bang or knock or something in the engine. It doesn't sound bad enough to be a rod knock or a main bearing, but it sounds worse than a stuck or collapsed lifter. I put it back in the garage. I'm praying it's a lifter or something in the valve train. The bad thing is that I have to pull the exhaust to get the valve covers off. The exhaust is a bear to line back up with it connected to the tips. What I plan on doing is getting some longer bolts and just taking out the two end bolts and putting the longer bolts in, then removing the center bolts and sliding the exhaust back on the longer bolts. That way it stays lined up.

The engine may have been making this noise before, and I just couldn't hear it over the belt and pulley noise.

Scott Heidt
07-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey Cuda,

Sorry to hear that! I totally know how you feel. I had to do that three times in one day! That can be such a pain. I hope it is nothing serious.

Keep us updated!

gcarter
07-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Your bolt idea sounds like a good one.

George :)

BUIZILLA
07-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Take the belts off and run the engine for 30 sec to a minute and locate the noise b4 removing the valve covers.

JH :garfield:

Cuda
07-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Take the belts off and run the engine for 30 sec to a minute and locate the noise b4 removing the valve covers.

JH :garfield:

I'll do that Jim, good idea, thanks!

Greg
07-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Cuda, I am not sure how your valve covers are attached to the engine. My 260 had the little studs coming out of the block and the valve covers had to be lifted up to clear them. On one side it was so tight I had to remove the stud to get the cover off. Replacing the studs with bolts helped, although it is still a pain. Longer bolt idea sounds like a good fix, especially if you are running the stock manifolds. Good Luck.

Cuda
07-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Cuda, I am not sure how your valve covers are attached to the engine. My 260 had the little studs coming out of the block and the valve covers had to be lifted up to clear them. On one side it was so tight I had to remove the stud to get the cover off. Replacing the studs with bolts helped, although it is still a pain. Longer bolt idea sounds like a good fix, especially if you are running the stock manifolds. Good Luck.

Mine have studs too, but what's compounding the problem is the fact they are tall covers.

Sam
07-09-2004, 07:48 AM
I feel your pain Cuda, good luck.

Sam

RickSE
07-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Cuda,
Put a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase and fire it up, don't overfill the crankcase though. If the noise goes away then it's a stuck lifter. The Mystery Oil acts as a solvent and can flush out small deposits. It will also thin out your oil so don't use more than a quart. If you run the motor for a while and the noise comes back after the Mystery Oil cooks off then the problem is terminal. I've used this method before to determine the severity of stuck lifters. It usually take a couple hundred miles for the Mystery Oil to cook off in a auto.

Cuda
07-15-2004, 03:28 PM
I've pulled both valve covers and found a couple slightly loose rockers, but not enough to cause my noise. I pulled the boat out and ran it without the belts and the noise was still there. It doesn't seem as loud as it was, or maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

I've decided to go to my unfallible means of diaognosis, I'm going to run the piss out of it and fix whatever breaks! :)

If this storm will pass sometime today, I'll begin the diaognosis process.

mphatc
07-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Cuda,

Good Luck! I hope you aren't then in a situation with a small boat on a trailer and an empty suitcase!

Mario
emptied all my suitcases, boat still on trailer!!!!

Cuda
07-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Back to the drawing board. :( We launched the boat, and fired it up. I could hear a new banging noise now. I pretty sure it's coming from the drive/gimbal area. I was going to still take it out, until I saw the water in the bilge. Debbie said it was coming through the plug and the plug must not be in right. I didn't think it would be possible to put that much water through a plug that was in at all, but we put it back on the trailer and checked the plug. I thought maybe it was water that had been up towards the bow, so we launched it again. More water. I layed over the engine and could see water pouring in from somewhere, but I couldn't tell where. Back on the trailer and pulled it home. I got the hose and was spraying the stern area while Debbie looked inside. She couldn't see anything. Then I took the hose and began filling the bilge to see if I could see it leaking out. I figure whatever leaks in, should also leak out. Apparently, I couldn't fill it far enough inside without getting it up to the engine, because no water leaked out.

Any ideas of what it might be? It was a good amount of water, I'd say about ten gallons in about five minutes or less. I'm thinking maybe exhaust block off plate?

For the first time, this one actually depressed me. :(

Eugene Nahemow
07-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Cuda,
Is it possible the gasket on one of your exhaust manifolds is bad?
On my first classic I had a bad exhaust manifold gasket and the symptoms were the same as you are experiencing. This could explain why you are hearing noises in the engine and water leaking.

Cuda
07-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Eugene, I could see the water coming in, but couldn't pinpoint it. It's lower than the exhaust, and in the center of the boat.

gcarter
07-15-2004, 08:27 PM
I agree with Scott, plenty of places to leak through the gimbal housing.
MHO- pull the engine and get a seal kit, about $100.00, and change everything, unless you've already done this. But you didn't install the gimbal housing, did you?
Banging could be U-joints, maybe? :smash:

George

Gritz
07-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Cuda,

Just to add one more place to look. I once had a leak resulting from one of "Merc's better ideas" (using the Alpha One Outdrive's lower mounting bolts as Anodes).

Guess what, they sacrifice themselves and break and if you shift into reverse the drive pulls away from the stern and the boat leaks and it still leaks if you are in neutral. I would guess this could also result in some degree of misalignment and subsequent noise from the gimbal or universals.

Just a thought,

Stan

catch 22
07-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Your bolt idea sounds like a good one.

George :)
YES IT DOES :idea:

RickR
07-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Cuda
Check your shift cable bellows also.

I had a tough time with the manifolds on my 18. I got a bolt the same diameter as the manifold bolt but slightly longer.
Ground the head off and cut a slot so I could take it off with a screwdriver.
Install and bolt and use for a guide for the gaskets and manifold . :beer:

Cuda
07-16-2004, 06:37 PM
I was just outside scoping it out. I've convinced myself that it has to be the exhaust block off plate. I looked in the hole, and I can see some kind of sealant MOST of the way around the perimeter. After it gets dark here, I'll shine a light from the outside and see if we can see any light on the inside.

gcarter
07-17-2004, 06:08 AM
Joe, the site went down last night before I had a chance to tell you they seem to come that way when a block-off plate is used. They use the O-ring AND RTV on the seal. I hope you find it easily though.

George :smash:

Cuda
07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
I fixed the transom leak. It was the block off plate. George Carter stopped over yesterday and we talked about what it was. It was the holes where the water comes out when you have the underwater exhaust. Instead of trying to fight that from the inside, I found some 7/8" plastic plugs at Lowes that fit the hole perfectly. I stuck one in to check the fit, and it was so good I couldn't get it back out. I was going to put some 4200 around it before sticking it in. Since I couldn't get it out, I put 4200 around another plug and stuck it on top of the first plug. We took the boat out yesterday evening, and it didn't leak a drop. When I tried to get up on a plane though, the damn alt belt started slipping again! I guess it needs to be pulled tighter than was Deb can pull with one arm. I still hear some kind of banging noise, but I've about convinced myself that it is not coming from the engine.

gcarter
07-24-2004, 01:40 PM
:wavey: :rlol: :yippie: :smash: :checkered