PDA

View Full Version : Update on my Pirelli rubber floor

gold-n-rod
07-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Some of you might remember the thread earlier this winter about the supplier of small lots of Pirelli rubber floor tiles. These are the ones with the raised dots about the size of a quarter. I had been looking to repair a rotten spot (about the size of a football) in a 2' x 6 ' section of the plywood floor of my boat (not a Donzi, but similar to the Regazza). Fortunately, the rot was mostly confined to the removable section above the gas tank, not the fully glassed in floor structure of the boat.

These tiles worked really great. The adhesive, a Mapai product, was expensive.... $120 for 2 gallons :shocking: and alot went to waste (it was a 2 part product). I did a lot of prep work on the floor, including using Git-Rot along all the inside edges of the plywood where the original carpet had been stapled (duh, let's staple the carpet here and break the seal of the resin we soaked the floorboards in :smash: ) Hopefully, I was able to contain any rot that was present. I also had to bondo the holes I drilled for the Git-Rot as well as several low spots and other flaws in the floors.

It was a lot of work, including gutting the entire interior, but I think you'll agree, it's a major improvement and should add many years to the boat's life. Also, I used the "HP" model tiles that are impervious to chemicals, fuels, battery acid, etc. I ran them all the way through the cockpit area to the transom and it really cleaned up the anchor storage area to the the port side of the engine and the battery/PS pump, wiring area to the starboard side.

These pics were taken from over the gunwhale looking towards the helm.

I doubt these would work very well on a fiberglass molded floor tub found on the Classics, but if you are looking for a floor covering solution for a boat with plywood encapsulated flat floors, this an excellent choice.

Let me know if you have further questions about this project and I'll try to answer them.

another Randy

florida gator
07-08-2004, 09:39 PM
What was the place you purchased from. What was the cost of the flooring?

gold-n-rod
07-08-2004, 10:06 PM
What was the place you purchased from. What was the cost of the flooring?

PRF USA, INC.
P.O. Box 6505
Carlstadt, NJ 07072
USA
Tel: (01) 201-804-5565
Fax: (01) 201-804-5567
E-mail: info@rubberfloors.com

Ask for Linda. She's a very sweet lady and very willing to help. Tell her Randy from Michigan sent you. I paid $1.40 a sq. foot plus shipping. The price and availability depends on what small closeout lots they have in stock at the time. You DO NOT want to pay the regular price... ask for what's on closeout (small lots). There are all kinds of models, tile sizes and colors. The colors do not hold up well in direct sunlite, that's why Linda steered me toward gray (which was the color of the carpet I replaced).

The best stuff is the "HP" model. It's impervious to chemicals and works well around batteries, drive lube reservoirs, etc.

Hope this helps. IIRC, you were in on the original thread. Are you still looking to solve your floor covering problem?

Hope this helps, ask if you need more info.

another Randy

Forrest
07-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Wow, looks great! That stuff works wonders. One of these days I'll take picture of my Pirelli job that I did in my Magnum. It turned out great as well. Same color, HP, and dots. Right now, it's covered with about an inch of grinding dust and looks like crapola.

Sport
07-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Wow, what a difference. Looks very cool.

Sport