PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicle ideas

1996Z15
07-08-2004, 06:44 AM
I have decided to keep my Minx for at least another season and see if the wife and I can get some time to enjoy it together. To help support that cause I am going to sell my Mustang and buy a pickup truck for a tow vehicle. I am not a real big truck guy and need some help on my choice. I am looking to spend around $16,000.00 and like the looks of the Dodge Dakota extended cab 4X4 trucks but, I want to make sure that #1) it will be able to tow the Minx and #2) they aren't pieces of crap.
Any advice or suggestions that you guys might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cuda
07-08-2004, 07:21 AM
I'd look for a good used F150. My last one I put 122k miles on it and the only thing other than oil and filters was an alternator at 111k miles. I towed a 242 Formula with it with no problems whatsoever. It had the 5.4 engine.

I don't know much about Dakotas, except that new ones were as much as the F150 for not nearly as much truck.

Team Jefe
07-08-2004, 07:33 AM
If I were going to replace a car with a truck. I'm all over Cuda's suggestion, but a little more specific F150 SuperCrew. It has good room for passangers and enough bed for most people.

Just so you know - this is a public service announcement for TEAM JEFE casue I'd never own a truck that could repalce a car. :biggrin:

Sport
07-08-2004, 08:15 AM
I agree ! I drove over 50,000 miles in one racing season with my 1997 F-150 towing my jet-skis on the National Jet-Ski Tour and never had a single problem except a blown tire in Texas. Plenty of power going thru the mountains and the plains states. Not to shabby on gas either. We went thru FL, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, CA, BAJA, NV, CO, NE, IA, IL, WI, MI, IN, OH, PA, NY, CANADA, WV, VA, NC, SC, TN, KY AND MO. Ford makes a fine, dependable truck if you ask me.

Sport

MOP
07-08-2004, 08:20 AM
I have a 98 Dakota with over 90k on it now, besides 1 set of brakes, 2 sets of tires the only thing that went bad was the catalytic converter it just runs and runs. V6 16 in town 20 road 12 towing my buds with V8's do the same towing but are down a bit on the rest. I normally buy GMC but got a deal on the Dodge, so far so happy! If you go with the Dodge you will need the V8 the 6 is only good up to the 18, I towed my 22 back from NH and it was breathing hard.

Ranman
07-08-2004, 08:51 AM
I'd look for a good used F150. My last one I put 122k miles on it and the only thing other than oil and filters was an alternator at 111k miles. I towed a 242 Formula with it with no problems whatsoever. It had the 5.4 engine.

If I were going to replace a car with a truck. I'm all over Cuda's suggestion, but a little more specific F150 SuperCrew. It has good room for passangers and enough bed for most people.

I couldn't agree more with these to comments. I went from a 95 Mustang to an F-150 and have never looked back. I'm on my third F-150 and second SuperCrew. All that really matters is the 5.4L and the Crew cab. With the Crew cab I can take the boat and 5 people (including me) all in one package to go boating. There's no more "meet me at the ramp" or whose car are we going to take too. Go drive one, you'll be amazed at how nice they ride and drive and they are tough. I can't even begin to explain how handy the truck is to have around the house. The only down side is the fuel mileage. I think that cost was easily offset by the reduction in my insurance premiums from the Stanger to the 150. Good luck.

rchevelle71
07-08-2004, 09:07 AM
YUP,

F-150, or a chevy 1500, I bought my 2001Silverado last year with only 19,000 miles on it fully loaded Z-71(4x4, off road, not that I need that in FL, but it is nice to have on those crappy keys ramps:kaioken: ) for $19,000, I am sure you can do better if you find one with a few more miles, or a few less options.

1996Z15
07-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all of the great advice so far. My friend has an F150 SuperCrew 4X4 and it is a great truck. I just don't know if I'll be able to get one in my price range.
If I do go the F150 route is there anything I should look out for that would be particular to this vehicle?

olredalert
07-08-2004, 09:34 AM
--------Hope this doesnt muck up your decision-making but many of us on the board find a Suburban/Expedition type vehicle a better choice than a truck. All that dry storage space in the back allows you to take everything you could ever possibly need along and neither rain nor theft ever enter the picture. I carry my interior in my Suburban on long trips along with my tool-box, cooler, towels, etc.
--------As an added bonus your significant other may appreciate your decision a bit more as well. Just a thought.
--------Wont get into brand choices as it seems as though thats being covered just fine............Bill S

Ranman
07-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Just for reference, I sold my 2002 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4X4 a few months ago. This truck was fully loaded and as expensive as they came in 2002. With 27,000 miles is sold for $22,500. I would think if you forego the 4X4 and Lariat trim, that a 2002'ish SuperCrew XLT with the 5.4 and 30,000 miles would be right around the $16K-$17K range.

Here's a link to the truck I sold.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33781

1996Z15
07-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Do you need 4X4 to handle the boat ramps? I know the ones that I have seen around here appear to be much steeper than the ones I've seen in pictures from other areas.
Plus I like the idea of 4 wheel drive in a truck.
I have given some thought to a Suburban style truck but, I want to be able to use it to pick up stuff like mulch and shrubs for the house.
I have a friend who goes to the car auctions regularly, maybe he can find me a good one in my price range?
I have to sell my Mustang first; that's going to be the bigger challenge I think.

dclassic
07-08-2004, 10:35 AM
My family is a Dodge family and we have had 5 Dakota's and 8 Rams over the years. I also used to be a sales manager of a Dodge store. My father has had 3 Dakota's, all extended cab, V8, 4x4's. Over 100,000 miles on each with no problems. We are very fussy about maintenance and all our vehicles are over maintained, but we never break down. He pulled Chapparel 21, 28, and 30 footers with the Dakota's and they did great. Just looks funny with a truck so much smaller than the boat. Dakota's will tow as much or more than a lot of the 1/2 ton trucks if properly equipped. WHATEVER truck you buy make sure it has the biggest motor (no V6's) with the tow package (includes tranny coolers, larger radiators, upgraded electrics and reciever). The only failure I have seem in the Dodges from time to time is the A518 auto trans. That is the tranny used on the older 5.2 equipped Dakota's and Rams. The newer one behind the 4.7 seems to be better.

IMO the Daota's are very comperable to any of the other 1/2 ton trucks. Have whatever truck you are wanting to buy inspected to make sure it is ok before purchase. Any late model 1/2 ton from any manufacturer should do you just fine. Make sure you get the larger V8 and tow package in whatever truck you are looking at.

If you find a clean 3/4 ton, those are great too. Better to get more truck than not enough and be hating life at every hill. It is hard to find clean 3/4 tons as most are bought as work trucks. If you have any questions feel free to pm me or email me.

Happy Hunting :eek!:

TuxedoPk
07-08-2004, 10:51 AM
After driving myself nuts over what truck to buy earlier this year I was ultimately very pleased witht the outcome. I found:

Having an extended cab was inportant as Randy said for carting extra people to the marina- but since the only time I ever put people in the back are for those short runs, I opted not to go with the larger cab.

Having an 8' bed has been quite handy to have. Before the pickup I never moved anything. Since having it I can't believe I ever existed without it. I'll echo what Poodle commented to me- an 6' bed with a tool box is like having no bed at all.

Parking an extended cab with an 8' bed can be a pain.... I'm really glad that I don't have to park a supercrew with an 8' bed (plus you can kiss turning thru the drive thru window at fast food restaurants good bye)

I was looking for a Ford exclusively and ended up stumbling across a Dodge Ram 2500 with only 17k miles at such a low price that I couldn't pass it up. I'm now considering getting rid of my BMW 740.. Sure it rides better but I find I'm never driving it.

rchevelle71
07-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Do you need 4X4 to handle the boat ramps?
Sometimes you do???

rchevelle71
07-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Sometimes you dont?????

rchevelle71
07-08-2004, 11:31 AM
OK, sometimes we really dont, But I dont Like to limit myself to which ramps I can and cant use. Here is a link to all of the ramps in South Florida, Check it out, some of them are pretty funny:propeller :propeller

http://www.inshore.com/b-ramp.html#Terms

Ranman
07-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I've never needed to use my 4WD at any boat ramp (including Jamestown which is a steep one), but I am only pulling an 18. I would think you would be fine at *most* ramps with a 2WD F-150 and a Minx. The 4WD is nice, but you rarely actually use it, it's expensive to buy, and it costs you in the fuel economy department. I tow snowmobiles up north in the winter and 2WD won't cut that. This is why I recommended the 2WD. It's cheaper all around (considering your $16K limit) and should treat you just fine.

Tux, I think your a tad confused on the F-150 options. you can get standard cab and extended cab in 6' and 8' bed configurations, but the SuperCrew (crew cab) only comes with a 5.5' box. I think the 250's and 350's are offered with a crew cab with a 6" box, but I still don't think you chould get a crew cab AND an 8' box.

gcarter
07-08-2004, 01:11 PM
I own six vehicles and we put about 50,000 miles per year each on five of them.
It's become apparent to me that most any American truck you buy is good for well over 200,000 with no major repairs.
So to me, the budget becomes the most important thing. I found out that once a vehicle reaches 50,000 miles the value takes a dump, no matter the brand. In fact the more expensive, the bigger dump it takes. That fact is like free money for me. I look for something three to five years old and 40,000 to 70,000 miles and I've always come out way ahead when cost of operation and depreciation is weighted heavily. When you're personally responsible for all these vehicles, I'm not too proud to be seen in something a few years old. :D

George

Cuda
07-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Four wheel drive is like a pistol.............you don't really need one until you need one badly!

RickyR
07-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Four wheel drive is like a pistol.............you don't really need one until you need one badly!
Well put Cuda.... I drive a 99 k2500 suburban (454 that loves to drink gas). I have used 4wd about 4-5 times since I have owned it.. Each time, I was so glad to have decided to get the 4wd. just think about how many times you miss a turn and have to pull over into the soft shoulder and then you're stuck, and a trailer in tow...
Here is one of my other toys for the local boat ramp....
1967 Kaiser M-715. I swapped in a 1970 AMC 390 (from an AMX) and bolted a 727 automatic with a Dana 300 transfercase. It also loves the gas... But WHO CARES ????http://www.aphlac.com/db2/00200/aphlac.com/_uimages/Mvc-020s.jpg
Ricky...seeya...

McGary911
07-08-2004, 09:10 PM
I'm taking a different route for the truck thing. I will only use it to tow the boat. Or to get around in the snow that jersey gets only once every 4 years. I'm looking for an old bronco. Plenty of room for all the boat stuff. I just found a '90 with no back bumper, bunch of scratches and 80000 miles. i think i can get it for 1000. The peoples kid decided to go 4 wheeling, and got stuck, thus the no bumper thing (the have a new one in the garage). After the all, the kid wont need it anymore, seeing that he's in military school because of the incident. :)

I'm a car person, and if i need a boat tow vehicle, it doesnt have to be new at all. After all, i cant get a truck that would outshine my Donzi, could I? Just wouldnt be right....

rchevelle71
07-09-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm taking a different route for the truck thing. I will only use it to tow the boat. Or to get around in the snow that jersey gets only once every 4 years. I'm looking for an old bronco. Plenty of room for all the boat stuff. I just found a '90 with no back bumper, bunch of scratches and 80000 miles. i think i can get it for 1000. The peoples kid decided to go 4 wheeling, and got stuck, thus the no bumper thing (the have a new one in the garage). After the all, the kid wont need it anymore, seeing that he's in military school because of the incident. :)

I'm a car person, and if i need a boat tow vehicle, it doesnt have to be new at all. After all, i cant get a truck that would outshine my Donzi, could I? Just wouldnt be right....
Nothing wrong with that route either, I have owned several old Bronco's, from '78 on up. If I didnt have to commute 30 miles each way in the truck I woulda bought an old truck for towing the boat also:biggrin.: :biggrin.: