PDA

View Full Version : Is shipping expensive

Andrewm
07-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about shipping boats. I didn't know if it was like .10 cents a mile or how that works $1.00 a mile?? If anyone knows ANYTHING it would be apprectiated....Thanks

GKricheldorf
07-07-2004, 06:12 PM
You can do a search for boat carriers, boat haulers, or vessel tranportation on google.com

here is a link

http://www.marineweb.com/htdocs/listotherprosTrans1.htm

Brian Freeman
07-07-2004, 06:31 PM
the average with fuel costs they way they are today is about $1.00 per mile.

EricG
07-07-2004, 06:39 PM
I recently had an 18 shipped from Houston to Seattle on the back of a Tractor-trailer rig. Because the 18 only took up part of his truck, he was able to share the cost with another load - but it still cost me $1.00/mile + $120 to have a local boatyard offload it and the trailer.

The guy that shipped my boat told me that by the time mine actually showed up I should have been paying closer to $2/mile because of fuel prices.

I recommend posting your proposed load on some of the shipping boards and seeing what kind of quotes you get. I actually got a quote to ship mine for a little less, but it was after I had already chosen the company I used.

Good luck!

EG

MOP
07-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Our local over the road guy went from 1.25 up 2.00, now with the threst of gas going up again who knows. It will soon be cheaper to go get your own stuff and haul it home.

BUIZILLA
07-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Okay, call me stupid...

but how can a guy raise his rates >.75/mile when gas/fuel is less than .20/gal more, on average, since the first of the year???

JH

MOP
07-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Jim I don't think you noticed as much of a rise as we did up here, I know from running the ditch how the prices on fuel are not bad until the snow birds start migrating. I have seen a .50 jump over the summer prices, so you were already up a ways when the hikes hit. Mid winter we were at 1.35 for regular got up to 2.29 for a short while and now since the last drop it is at 2.15. On the news they are saying its going back up again, they say our "operating" refineries are at 98% and import crude is going higher.

Phil

DJ13
07-07-2004, 10:49 PM
I got quotes from boat shipping services. Basically brokerages that give you a quoted, flat rate. I had my 22ZX w/trailer trucked cross-country on a semi. Miami to Seattle. Can't get much farther away geographically unless you went to Alaska. Cost me $2,500 for the whole thing. This was in late July of last year.

rag top man
07-08-2004, 01:37 AM
I'll be in the same delima, I'm here on the west coast, i think there are 2 22' Classics here in Calif, neither for sale, and so I'm forced to travel to get one too.
I think the cheapest just may be a U-Haul one way. But thats still 4000 mi round trip and about $800 in fuel, not including food or lodging for about 6 to 8 days of very hard driving.
Or just pay the cost, otherwise, that'll be a painful 8 days, INHO.
HOWEVER, be aware, I've shipped before, and unless you talk to the shipper directly, there will be a surcharge, as many of those sites you'll visit are brokers, not shippers!!! , what they do is take the order, and sell it to an actual shipper. So, shop around!!!

BUIZILLA
07-08-2004, 06:40 AM
MOP, my point is this, if gas did rise $1.00 per gallon from 1.35 to 2.35, and you get 10 mpg towing, that's only an additional expense of .10 cents per mile right, not .75 cents per mile from 1.25 to 2.00, right?? So, again... why the 7x times that rate hike?

JH

MOP
07-08-2004, 08:00 AM
MOP, my point is this, if gas did rise $1.00 per gallon from 1.35 to 2.35, and you get 10 mpg towing, that's only an additional expense of .10 cents per mile right, not .75 cents per mile from 1.25 to 2.00, right?? So, again... why the 7x times that rate hike?

JH

I agree and am not siding with his 75 cent per mile hike. I think it sucks that many of the hikes are not in line with actual costs on many other products and services. It seems as if anytime things get tight many gouge even big corporations. We both work I do a lot of the food shopping, the rise in food prices is another thing that ticks me off also blamed on shipping costs. We as average citizens always get the short end of the stick.

Phil

Andrewm
07-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks for everyones input ! I got a quote today for $2700--- Utah to Maryland....I think im going to shop around but I might just be paying that! THANKS !

fasttrucker
07-09-2004, 06:16 PM
I paid $1000 two years ago to tow my 28zx on its own trailer behind a pick-up/transporter from fox lake IL,just north of chicago to baltimore md.the guy broke my front light,tore my cover,left duck tape on boat.It was two days late they picked it up and dropped it in IN.at a yard.When I called the broker to complain they told me they were going to drop it by the side of the road.NOT NICE.So do not use'" smooth sailing boat transport" :kaioken: :kaioken:

Bob
07-11-2004, 02:35 PM
If you want a boat hauled along the east coast, call Bob Guay at Alcove boats in Schylerville, NY. I don't have the number handy but he goes up and down the east coast all the time. Very good to deal with, he owns a marina along the Hudson. He brought my Hornet from Annapolis to Lake George and took very good care of it.

gtex
07-11-2004, 05:33 PM
I was quoted $2700 for a Z33 without a trailer from Jersey to Central Texas. That was less than a month ago. For that kind of money I think me an 3 other hillbillies could have gone on a roadtrip in one of my buddies 3/4 Ton Diesel trucks.

It's funny, when I told people I was looking at 33ft boat in Jersey, they all tell me I'm crazy. Then they turn around and say that they are up for a roadtrip:-)