PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on buying used boats/importing to canada

blueliner
07-07-2004, 02:18 AM
just wanted to get opinions on buying a used boat. what should one be aware of looking at used boats?? what are the major pitfalls?? what about buying off of e-bay if you can't physically go and see/inspect the boat before buying???? there is a boat i am interested in that is on e-bay, but it is physically impossible for me to go and inspect it, what would you recommend i do??? also, any fellow canadians know what is involved in bringing a donzi over the boarder, i.e. duty/ taxes. do you just have to pay gst or do you have to pay pst as well as duty??

thanks in advance

steve:canada:

MOP
07-07-2004, 02:41 AM
I have sent several boats up to you guys over the years, darn near each and everyone fell under different tariffs. For awhile two bills of sale were needed, one for the boat and one for the engine they did not care that it was bolted in place. Without the two bills of sale the tariffs were nearly 30% higher. It seems as if your law makers keep trying to figure out how to get deeper into your pockets. Lenny just was involved in getting a Blackhawk up there and can help you with the most current laws. Sending a boat from one country to another needs investigating as all have different types of fees, I have shipped to many and it is a saga each and every time. Buying a boat unseen is always risky, if the seller gives a good location and it is a Donzi there is a fair chance one of the members knows something about the boat and will give you his input. I would post what you are looking at and see what comes of it.

Phil

blueliner
07-07-2004, 03:22 AM
thanks mop. there is a 1995 donzi 255 lxc on e-bay that i am inetersted in. it looks sweet and has low hours. wasn't bought until 1997. anyone w/ info on this boat would be great.

MOP
07-07-2004, 03:38 AM
Post the Ebay link, hopefully one of the guys will get back to you.

blueliner
07-07-2004, 05:34 AM
here is the link for the boat i am interested in. any help would be greatly appreciated.

steve:canada:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2483818186&category=31271

Lenny
07-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Steve, having them "shipped" is expensive and they won't cross a border for you. You still have to do this. Figure about $1.25-$1.50 US$ per mile and use Mapquest for a quote in mileage or Streets and Trips. It gets expensive hence why I always end up going (driving) to these places as a journey with my vehicle and tow them home by myself. It is about 1/4-1/3 the cost and you get a vacation to boot. The only hassle is the trailer, as it is a motor vehicle, and upon entry into Canada, AT THE BORDER, you need a separate bill of sale for the boat and sundries and a separate one for the trailer, stating serial numbers on both sales invoices and the price paid. MOST IMPORTANT, is you need a "Letter of Recall" from the original trailer manufacturer, available through contacting them after you get the make, model and serial number and have that VIN and model quoted on the letter, with THEIR LETTERHEAD, stating it has never been subject to a recall.

At the border you pay, (upon entry) GST and PST on the converted price of the boat and motor , (7% and 7.5%), as well as GST and PST on the trailer price converted. Also, at the border, you pay I believe, $180.00 for a Federal trailer inspection fee to cover the costs of processing your trailer
into Canada. This inspection, which you have about 45-60 days to do, is done at any Canadian Tire Store.

This sounds like a lot, but after doing it 3 times now, (soon to be 4) it is no big deal.

As for that boat, I have no information on it, but it would be better suited to a first time boater and your family than a Classic I think.

Have fun :)

Lenny

MOP
07-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Lenny I worked with a speculator from up in Toronto he had seperate bills of sale for the boat and for the engine, even though the engines was still in the boats he said it saved him $$$ maybe this is still the case may be worth checking on. All my private deals just bellied up and paid what ever.

Phil

Lenny
07-07-2004, 07:48 PM
MOP, they don't care much about anything here other than the trailer. ALL STATES (our case, Provinces) are the same. There is nothing individual about them in Canada. Same law applies everywhere.

boxy
07-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Lenny I worked with a speculator from up in Toronto he had seperate bills of sale for the boat and for the engine, even though the engines was still in the boats he said it saved him $$$ maybe this is still the case may be worth checking on. All my private deals just bellied up and paid what ever.

Phil

Phil, that was how it worked pre NAFTA. There used to be 2 seperate duty rates, 1 for hulls, and 1 for motors. Most Marinas used to import un-rigged hulls, and install motors and drives here in Canada, that's how my Regal arrived.
Now pretty much
everything made in North America is non-dutiable.