PDA

View Full Version : Buy New or Rebuild??

GKricheldorf
07-06-2004, 11:03 AM
This weekend I replaced the coupler on my flywheel. Everything went as planned. Only took about 2.5 hrs to tear down the motor to the point where it would fit thru the hatch, pull it out and swap the coupler and put it back in.

My father in law asked me if I was able to turn the driveshaft on the out drive while it was in the garage. I said I’ll have to take a look. I tried turning it by hand. It was really difficult and I could only get about a quarter turn out of it. He told me it may be time for a rebuild or buy a new one.

I don’t know squat about out drives. I do know I do not have the required tools to repair the drive. Is it better to buy a new one or rebuild? What could I expect to pay if I were to have the drive rebuilt? The physical condition of the drive is pretty good. It could use a new skeg, but it not at the critical point yet. I was able to track down a new Alpha One from a seller on ebay for $1299 plus freight with a 1 year warranty from Merc.

What do you drive guys think?

Thanks,

Glenn

BUIZILLA
07-06-2004, 11:32 AM
I just checked my spare Alpha drive... it is VERY easy to turn in either direction, in either forward or reverse position.

HTH..

JH :boat:

MOP
07-06-2004, 11:46 AM
The drives do turn pretty hard especially if by chance you were turning it back wards which can flip the water pump blades making it even tougher to turn. Was it doing OK before you blew the coupler? Try draining some of the oil look for metal particles or milky look to the oil. It may be just fine and need only minor work, maybe a new pump and new oil will get you through. You should inspect the gimble bearing that may be shot, I would do some poking around let the board know what you find may save some bucks. You can with a little finesse get the motor out pretty much whole by turning it 90 degrees in the hole then lifting it out, on my 16 the 302 went in with everything but the exhaust. If the drive is bad go for the guaranteed one

gcarter
07-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Before I took the pump out of my Alpha, I had to use a long screw driver through a U-joint to turn my drive shaft. Now it is effortless either wqy.

George

GKricheldorf
07-06-2004, 12:38 PM
The drive oil was in great condition. I did replace it a few weeks ago prior to the Havasu trip. No water whatsoever. There were metal filings stuck to the magnet. More this time then when i drained the oil then last time. The drive was doing ok before the coupler went out. I think what may have happened is the drive hit bottom in a shallow part the the channel when my wife was driving :eek!: The drive was not trimmed up to where it should have been for that shallow of water.

MOP
07-06-2004, 03:48 PM
The drive oil was in great condition. I did replace it a few weeks ago prior to the Havasu trip. No water whatsoever. There were metal filings stuck to the magnet. More this time then when i drained the oil then last time. The drive was doing ok before the coupler went out. I think what may have happened is the drive hit bottom in a shallow part the the channel when my wife was driving :eek!: The drive was not trimmed up to where it should have been for that shallow of water.

Where you able to motor back to the dock at low speed after the coupler let go?, normally you can. If not it is possible that the drive did in fact let go bind and take out the coupler. Over the years I have seen two boats that had the coupler changed and when they tried to start them it appeared as if the motor had a problem turned out the drives had lunched themselves. A little metal is always be on the magnet just how much is a good indicator, a big wad after just a few hours usually means trouble.

Phil

GKricheldorf
07-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Phil,

No we just towed it back. When i got to the boat to see what was going on the motor was off. I did a few checks then started it up. There was some screeching noise and smoke coming from the back of the motor. And it smelled like burning rubber.

There wasn't a wad of metal filings. If i were to compare it to something i would say like a pinch of salt. I just thought it was more then there should be since i just changed the oil and cleaned it off.

What would be a, if there is one, a good indicator what in the drive needs rebuilding? I can't imagine that just the impellor being replaced will make the drive spin like being described by G Carter and Buizilla. Something made it bind up. I just don't want to waste time and money trying this and that. Like everyone else - I want to go boating.

Thanks,
Glenn

MOP
07-06-2004, 06:33 PM
When starting you should not have heard any screeching that shows the drive was bound up it should have been turning free, got a hunch something popped inside. Try putting a long bar or heavy screw driver through the U joint and turn it in both directions I think it will stop after a 1/2 turn or so in either direction, I think the upper let go just a guess. You can verify by pulling the top cap.

Phil

gcarter
07-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Fortunately the Alpha is easy to disassemble (into major components), why not pull the lower and service the pump. It's only about $25.00, and while the pump's apart, see if the lower turns easily. At the same time try the upper without the lower attached and see how it turns. This could be done in 1/2 hour if nothing else you'll get a new impellor.

George

GKricheldorf
07-07-2004, 09:42 AM
I pulled the top part aff. There is a gear that was torn apart and pieces bouncing around in there. :smash:

I think i'm going to buy a new one and do some on the job training and rebild this one. What is the worst that can happen? It's already broken.

MOP
07-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a plan, you will need a few special tools which you may be able to rent or borrow. It is nice to have a spare, my only suggestion is to not install a water pump during rebuild. Reasoning if it sits for a long time the impeller can go bad, put one in if and when you need the drive. We use to rebuild and store drives until sold, a few that sat for long periods came back during the 90 warranty period with bad impellers costing us $$.

Phil

Rootsy
07-07-2004, 12:10 PM
ahhhh the broken alpha...

many special tools to disassemble BOTH upper AND lower... and reassemble... get merc service manual #6...

big torque wrench and some long feeler gauges...

and umm if the uppers broke from hitting something chances are the lowers are fractured somewhere... ask me how i JUST FOUND THIS OUT... :bawling:

GKricheldorf
07-07-2004, 12:23 PM
ahhhh the broken alpha...

many special tools to disassemble BOTH upper AND lower... and reassemble... get merc service manual #6...

big torque wrench and some long feeler gauges...

and umm if the uppers broke from hitting something chances are the lowers are fractured somewhere... ask me how i JUST FOUND THIS OUT... :bawling:

was your wife driving??? :eek!:

Rootsy
07-07-2004, 09:23 PM
no no... i caused all of this destruction on my own... :angryfire

check out the likes of jasper.. they sell remanufactured sterndrives and provide a warranty i believe... at reasonable prices

Sea Biscuit
07-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Jamie has a good idea. My kid works for Jasper and I call on
them. Having seen their Reman operation and I can tell you
they are the best at what they do and have an excellent warranty. 800 827-7455

fasttrucker
07-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Why is it that wifes just cant seem to go in the middle of the channel?I would watch her driving a little closer next time.I do. :redface:

GKricheldorf
07-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Well she actually was. Lake Havasu has a very shallow channel on the way up to Topac. She didn't have the drive trimmed up, but she didn't even know. My boat partner should have been paying more attention. But who cares - live and learn. We still had a good time being towed back. Lot of beer was drank in 2.5 hrs.