PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Drive "leaking" - help?

EricG
07-05-2004, 06:00 PM
My 280 drive developed a slight leak coming out of the lower unit. I've attached a picture with the little black lines showling where it is leaking. It's not very much fluid, but after the drive sits for a week or two, I've got a little bit of fluid coming out of the joint between the housing and the "prop shaft/bearing retainer" (I don't really know what it's called).

I just drained the drive, and there is definitely a little bit of H20 contamination, but I would say that the majority of the fluid was still OK. But, I would like to get this fixed before I do any permanent damage. And before I fill the drive back up with $50 worth of lube...

My questions are: Is there a gasket in there that could be bad, or am I most likely looking at a prop shaft seal? And, because my shop manual is useless - does anyone recommend a better manual than the Volvo one? I can't figure out how to get the two pieces separated.

Any advice would be welcome....thanks!!

EG

MOP
07-05-2004, 06:13 PM
There is a couple of O rings, kind of surprised it leaks there may have been installed with grease instead of non hardening gasket compound.

Phil

EricG
07-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info :biggrin.:

I found a clymer manual at the library, but it only talks about removing the prop-shaft/bearing assembly after you have split the drive...does anyone know if I can just remove the assembly without taking the rest of the drive apart?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks

EG

MOP
07-06-2004, 06:48 PM
You can pull the whole thing out without breaking the cases apart, clean the bore and out collar. Brush on a thin coat of non hardening gasket compound on the bearing housing then put the O rings in the grove then brush a light coat of compound in the bore and on the O rings, put it in slow until you feel the tip go into the forward bearing. You may be able to push it the rest of the way but most of the time a few taps with a rubber mallet sends it home.

Phil