PDA

View Full Version : My memory is shot!

David Ochs
07-05-2004, 03:48 PM
I can't remember how much oil my old Volvo 250 holds, is it 3 qts. ? When I have the chance to use the boat, I like to change the outdrive oil often since it takes in a little bit of water. I'll probably keep using dino oil to save $. Should I be using a non-detergent? If so, and I can't find 10-40 non-detergent, is straight 30w okay?
BTW, I do remember where I put the keys, thank you very much!

MOP
07-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Dave if there is no water in the bellows they usually only leak at the prop shaft and shift converter bot pretty easy to fix. I think you baot in salt even with changing good chance you will get rust and slowly kill it.

Phil

David Ochs
07-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks Phil,
I've been running it this way for years. It never sees salt. Had the seals done several years ago, and it still leaks very little. So I've decided that for as often as it gets used(twice last year), I'll just change the oil after an outing. Oil is cheap compared to the cost of having the seals done. At least that's the way I look at it.
The bellows are dry, I always keep a close eye on that.
What I really would like to know is how much oil to put in, and whether non-detergent is a good way to go to help keep it from foaming.

MOP
07-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Volvo has always said engine oil on the old drives, they have survived on god knows what. Quite a few of the guys have gone to other oils, I would use a straight grade maybe plain old 30 or 40wt being as you change so often.

David O
07-05-2004, 06:49 PM
DaveO
To answer your original question, my Clymer manual says the Volvo 250 Stern Drive Capacity is 2.2 Qts.
I can't find in the manual where they say what oil to use.
The local guy I use for advice, Jeff Posner (highly recommended by Biggrizz) has me using in my 290, Amsoil 80W-90 GL-4 synthetic marine gear lube.