PDA

View Full Version : Boat rigger...... what a lousy, stinking job!

gold-n-rod
07-04-2004, 08:57 PM
My hat goes off to the men and women who work as boat riggers. What a miserable job.

I had to gut my boat (non-Donzi, similar to a Ragazza) in order to replace some rotten floors. Since I'm spending big time and money, I've taken the opportunity to do several updates and improvements. This involves a lot of rewiring, string new cables, adding switches, etc.

Damn, rigging sucks. There's all those little spaces to poke thru, 'glass shards and sharp edges everywhere and one needs to be a contortionist to get into the bilge and other places. Plus, there's never the right tools.... they are either too short, too long, wrong size, you name it.

I take no pleasure in this task. Ask me how many vulgar names I called her trying to get the water pump out yesterday to change the impeller. What kind of freak designs a mount that requires the water pump to first be loosened/nearly removed? Oh, and to remove the belt? Same masochist, I'm sure. I hope to dance on the graves of the goons that engineered this thing. :smash:

Damn fourth of July and I'm not boating.

Grrr.... :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

[end of rant]

another Randy

MOP
07-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Randy I did that **** for way to many years, no offense but you had me LMAO. I have been out of that stuff since 86, to this day I still have bits of glass splinters and metal shards working their way out of my hands. and that is even using a heavy leather glove to root and rub around any place I had to work in where I could not easily see. Rigging on glass boats is clearly a bitch bless you! I hope you left a few pull cords in the bad places for the next guy!

Phil

gold-n-rod
07-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Oh yes, Phil, misery loves company.

I forgot to mention that every knuckle is scraped and my forearms are scratched to hell. I'm taking blood thinners so I'm bleeding like a girl's dormitory the week the painters arrive :shocking:

Sheesh, this is supposed to be fun, right?

another (scraped and bloody) Randy

rayjay
07-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Oh yes, Phil, misery loves company...Sheesh, this is supposed to be fun, right? - another (scraped and bloody) Randy

Just think of all the fun you will have later when you have (hopefully) built exactly what you wanted!

rayjay

Hotspare
07-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Engineer's are trained to design as cost effective as possible or their out the door ....... And, To consider ease of maintenance at the same time, it simply takes the back seat .... Mechanics take a lot of pride in how there able to close the gap's the engineer never could ...... A good mechanic's an engineer himself ....... These guy's don't get near the respect they deserve ........ Bruce. :beer:

gcarter
07-04-2008, 06:58 AM
My hat goes off to the men and women who work as boat riggers. What a miserable job.
I had to gut my boat (non-Donzi, similar to a Ragazza) in order to replace some rotten floors. Since I'm spending big time and money, I've taken the opportunity to do several updates and improvements. This involves a lot of rewiring, string new cables, adding switches, etc.
Damn, rigging sucks. There's all those little spaces to poke thru, 'glass shards and sharp edges everywhere and one needs to be a contortionist to get into the bilge and other places. Plus, there's never the right tools.... they are either too short, too long, wrong size, you name it.
I take no pleasure in this task. Ask me how many vulgar names I called her trying to get the water pump out yesterday to change the impeller. What kind of freak designs a mount that requires the water pump to first be loosened/nearly removed? Oh, and to remove the belt? Same masochist, I'm sure. I hope to dance on the graves of the goons that engineered this thing. :smash:
Damn fourth of July and I'm not boating.
Grrr.... :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire
[end of rant]
another Randy
I'll be surprised if this rant doesn't end up as someones sig line.
(But not mine, I'm too busy spraying gel)

MOP
07-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Scott talk about digging deep:kyle:

Happy 4th!!!!

BlownCrewCab
07-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Hah, Rigging A New Boat is almost better than sex, Compared to some of the other jobs in a boat shop. The Grind Room, Where they cut the flashing off the fiberglass parts is the worst. I'd rather stack Pig Sh*t on a pointed picket fence for a living than have to grind glass all day.

justleft
07-05-2008, 11:05 AM
At one of the boat works that I hung around there was a guy who
would wrap a sling around his ankles. He would hang upside down
from the overhead crane and lower himself down behind the motors
to change starters. :smash:

I agree that grinding fiberglass is the worst. Burnt fiberglass is even worse !!!
(Cut out & rebuilt a burnt dash once)

Tony
07-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Dang it, Randy, we came back home today or I would be up in Frankfort helping you out. Really...I would. :)

:beer:

MOP
07-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Dang it, Randy, we came back home today or I would be up in Frankfort helping you out. Really...I would. :)

Tony you stepping back in time:shocking:

gold-n-rod
07-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Happy Fourth of July Randy, you finish that barge yet?? :D :D :D
Thanks, Scott, for bringing this one back from the dead. I'd forgotten how tight my boxers were over that job.

Yes, the "barge" was completed. In fact, I had her running on the muffs Thursday after changing out all the fluids and filters, greasing her up and getting ready for my kids' visit over the holiday weekend. They grew up on that boat and love to get out on her...... it's just like the old days.

We took her out on the 4th and she ran just great. Not as fast as in '92 when she was new, but I'm not as fast compared to then, either.

gold-n-rod
07-06-2008, 09:10 AM

July 4, 2004.......... :smash:

mrfixxall
07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Thats why i rigged mine when the beck was off,alot more room to work:)