PDA

View Full Version : Oh SH#$ !

Sam
07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Well I guess it had to happen some time. To make an ugly story short the motor blew in my 16 today. I won't know to what extent the damage is untill the motor is tore down. I know one thing, I won't have to drain the oil because it's all in the bildge. Hmmmmmmmmm this leaves me just short of a month to get her fixed up for the Mich MADCOW event.

Sam

:(

Fish boy
07-04-2004, 09:08 PM
I am sorry to hear about you motor Sam. I hope it is not as bad as it sounds. Good luck.

Fish

Digger
07-04-2004, 10:38 PM
sorry to hear that Sam. Seeing lots of oil in the bilge makes for just about the worst sinking feeling possible. Hang in there, with some $ and patience she'll be well again.

Scott Heidt
07-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Sorry to hear the news! Your not alone if that makes you feel any better. I threw two rods and sheared the cam in two places earlier this year!

Was there alot of smoke?

Wish you the best of luck

olredalert
07-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Sam,

-------Bad news, for sure. Wheres the boat, home on the island? I am having a bit of walking trouble(achilles tendon)but could manage a drive down to your place today to check it out. Whos going to do the fix? I may have a solution if the damage is bad enough!............Bill S

fasttrucker
07-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Sometimes I think bad things happen for a reason.Ive had a lot of bad luck too.So maybe when you go to fix up your motor maybe something good will come out of it....like an extra 20-30 H.P.Think about upgrading the heads or the cam,now is the time.

roadtrip se
07-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Sam,

Willing to help out in the evenings and the like if I can.

This broken stuff seems to be going around a little for everybody. I know that Jamie is getting a full degree in drive repair as we speak.

Let me know...

Todd

Doug L.
07-05-2004, 02:12 PM
:yes: Sammy
Ive got this 400ci 4 bolt, mayby we should start there!
Doug

MOP
07-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Sam I have Waleyes dads fresh water Merc 300 Tempest that from running it only on the hose and pulling the valve covers for the 383 it looked new inside. When I pulled the valve covers to glomb them I was almost stunned at how clean, I grabbed the phone and called Waleye (Steve) he verified it had very low time. The Tempests have forged cranks, hyper pistons and a nice fat sounding cam, Murphy can fill you in on details. If it goes it will go damn near complete with circ pump, balancer, flywheel, Osco iron exhaust new last season and mounts just "less" bolt on's and ignition. It could be a quick swap if interested mail me and send Steve a note to get more poop!

Phil

KRAVEN
07-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Hey Sam,
Any info on what happened?Keep us posted.I'll stop by on the way to the cottage Friday Night.

Jerry Eisele
07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Sam, I'll be with Elizabeth, so I'm counting on you riding with us if your boat isn't together. I'm bringing the 18'. Keep us posted on your progress!!

JERRY

Rootsy
07-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Sam,

let me know what you found out inside the motor.. what we spoke about and stuff... if it is serious we can HOPEFULLY fit her in and have you running for MADCOW...

On the Rootsy front....

gearcase is disassembled now... i just love making my own special merc tools :D... doug will take her to work and let the certified welder close her back up.. other than the one small spot where it poked through everything was intact.. short of half a tooth on the pinion...

now i just need to figure out what gears to put back in her...

and bearings

and shims

and how the HELL does this freaking outboard shifter crap work...

and WHY THE HECK can't i figure out why there is almost .250 of thrust in my stupid propshaft...

sorry, didn't mean to steal your thread sam... just needed to vent a bit... :yes: