PDA

View Full Version : Battery charger question (HELP)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-04-2004, 10:14 AM
When we boated the new ride last weekend, even though we were on shore power we had a battery issue.
I know batteries are cheap, and I can buy a new one, or two.

My question is, how do I know my built in battery charger is working?
They swear it will be working when I pick my new girl up, so how will I know?
The power pannel has battery testers?

OH, we also finally named the new boat for our documentation. Z-RATED
(if you knew us you would undestand we are beyond X Rated.) LOL
Bryan

gcarter
07-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi Bryan;
Batteries chargers operate at 14-14.5 volts, so it's easy to verify it's working either with a multi meter across the battery terminals (set on DC volts of course LOL), or just look at the panel voltage meters, assuming two or more batteries. If the reading, either way is over 14 volts, it's chargeing. If it's 10.5-13 volts, it's not, your just reading the battery voltage.
My $0.02!

George :smash: :smash:

Mr X
07-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Is'nt the battery charger located on the firewall in the engine compartment?
If so it has an amp meter on it. It will read 4-5 amps while charging.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys, DIGGER has offered to teach me the ropes on the news toys, plus I spoke to MR. Poodle this morning.
I will surely come here soon with a dozen more questions.
Bryan

undertaker
07-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Bryan just like HP600 said the charger is on the firewall and it has a mete on it when it is working it will go up to 4 -5 amps on my 33 I had a bad charger and found it by reading the meter on the charger. Donzi replaced it for me at no charge. :smile:

MOP
07-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Bryan another easy test is for you to watch the meter on the charger while your sweetie flips some of the heavier accessory switches off and on the gauge will jump a little as each is switched on.

Phil

BillR
07-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Turn on the blower and note the sound. Then turn on the charger, you'll hear the change in sound as it speeds up some from the additional voltage.

Scubado
07-06-2004, 03:15 PM
One more thing for you Bryan or anyone who is purchasing a new boat. Check the batteries against the reccomended battery in the owners manual. I checked mine when I replaced it with a new one this year and found that the original battery was undersized.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-15-2004, 09:09 PM
One battery was very weak opening the engine hatch (left DC on last night by accident), once opened, plugged in shore power at the house, charger read 26 amps.
Turned on frig, she cooled down way fast.

Spoke to under taker who at the time was on shore power and he read 15 amp. I was also curious if the charger charged in battery OFF position???

Wondering why the numbers are so much higher than you guys thought it would read from the charger?
When I click to battery test they read 13ish as each one is tested...

Bryan (a learning phase)

Mr X
07-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Bryan,
It should charge when the battery switch is off,
you can leave the engine hatch open......turn off the battery switch(s) and look at the charger to verify. Is it a Charles charger?
If the DC was left on then it will charge at a high rate for many hours, (8-10) but when they are fully charged.......with everything turned off, it should show 2-3 amps.
Hope this helps.