PDA

View Full Version : Merc 250 efi Question

Fish boy
07-03-2004, 07:48 PM
I know clamp on's are the bastard child of this forum, but does anyone know anything about Mercury Outboard 250 EFi motors?

My motor is sick again and I am thinking about something with some more ponies and torque. the 250 seems like a perfect engine for my boat and I found a 2002 with 381 hrs on it that I think I can get a pretty good deal on.

Any thoughts, rumors, pros, cons... ANyone have any idea roughly when these have to be rebuilt if well cared for?

Thanks,
fish

BUIZILLA
07-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Make sure it has the UPDATED and LATEST ecm's on it.

They WILL burn pistons with the old computers if it goes lean...

JH

Team Hula Girl
07-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Jody,

Just make sure that you get the 2002 and up. They are not able to accept any smartcraft technology/digital gauges before then.

I know someone in st. pete that probably has one.

J Mitch

Fish boy
07-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Hey John and Jim,
thanks for the advice. The motor I made an offer on is a 2002. Unfortunately, there is so much bureaucratic BS involved... Urrgh!! the person who is in charge is on vacation; the two people there can't read the directions that tell them how to get their head out of their butts (although very nice and tried to be helpful); the final decision maker is someon on a phone (like charlie from charlies angels) and has been supplied the wrong info that makes him think it is more valuable than it is, and the person in charge has to run things past him anyway, but she is on vacation.... Urrgh! :splat:

I can taste the motor, but there is so much inefficacy inherent in the purchasing process with the people I am dealing with that it looks pretty doubtful :(

If you know someone who wants to unload one, drop me a line, I would love to hear more about it.

Fish