PDA

View Full Version : Sink or Float

Surfer
07-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Another thread that we haven't talked much about...do they sink or float. I got caught in some rough seas this week, and got to thinking. With all the foam aboard, I would think they would have some floatation, but my 18 has none aft of the firewall, with a big fat weight back there. I haven't read of anyone sinking one yet, what do you think?

Scott Heidt
07-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Man If I had a good insurance policy and my boat got that swamped to where everything was almost underwater, I think I would prefer that my boat would sink! Total the boat and get a new one! If that happened in saltwater, I cringe to think of the damage!

Me personally, if it got to a point where I am thinking "Man I Hope all that foam works" I would already be thinking of my next Donzi! :)

harbormaster
07-02-2004, 10:46 AM
If I remember correctly, there was a guy on Lake George that wrecked his 22 classic and it went straight to the bottom. They had to get divers to raise it.

RickSE
07-02-2004, 11:07 AM
My 96' 18 had huge blocks of foam under the bow. I'm certain it would not have sunk. My new 22 however has no flotation. I was told once that there is or was a Coast Guard mandate that anything under 20' must have flotation.

Cuda
07-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Man If I had a good insurance policy and my boat got that swamped to where everything was almost underwater, I think I would prefer that my boat would sink! Total the boat and get a new one! If that happened in saltwater, I cringe to think of the damage!

Me personally, if it got to a point where I am thinking "Man I Hope all that foam works" I would already be thinking of my next Donzi! :)
Scott, it'd be damn hard to replace that beauty of yours. Do you have an agreed value policy on it?

Cuda
07-02-2004, 11:14 AM
If my boat goes down, the main thing I'm going to be worried about is my a$$! :eek!:

wytmike
07-02-2004, 11:20 AM
I know Z25's sink. I just don't like to think about it.

Scott Heidt
07-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks! Cuda! I was just adding some humor to the topic. I think I would have a heart attack if my boat sank! :shocking:

If have been putting off the marine survey and insurance policy until the 502 is rebuilt and installed. I plan to get as much $$ (VALUE) as I can.

I seem to keep blowing up engines! I have to laugh otherwise I would go nuts.

I have owned the boat a little over two years. I got to run the boat 20 min before the first engine blew and I ran the boat up at Mt. Dora before having to rebuild the new 502. That is roughly 2 hrs 20 min in two years! :mad:

I don't even want to calulate what the $$ per min is! HA!

MOP
07-02-2004, 03:53 PM
From law from what I have read is very ambiguous about level flotation and has exceptions. Boat over 20 feet are not required to have any floatation. I did find one site below that had the NMMA explainations listed.

http://www.kys.com/safety.asp