PDA

View Full Version : Fool Proof Tip I Guarantee It!!

MOP
07-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Since there has been so much hashing about riser leaks I am going to describe one of my best and "Fool Proof" old fart tricks that seals the water passages and does away with the worry.

Remove studs if equipped, sand the (water outlets) of the manifold inside about 3/4" in. Then using a Dremmel or drill with a small 1/8" to 3/16" round cutting bit grind a grove all the way around about 1/4" down inside the opening giving you a locking channel. On a flat surface apply a good slather of grease not to thick but enough to seal against, now set the manifold down on the opening. Getting interested? Now mix 6 ounces of Epoxy and pour into the water inlet it will run down and totally seal the top of the (water) openings, let it cure and SWEAT NO MORE!

A helpful home made tool for small opening sanding jobs, take a piece of aluminum rod 1/4" a few inches long hack saw a slot about an inch deep length ways slip in a 2" long piece emery cloth use a drill. That will let you get in small places with what I call authority!
I have these in several lengths, they work well for cleaning anything you have to get deep into.

I guarantee you will never have a leak at the riser!

Rootsy
07-01-2004, 09:40 AM
i think i need a diagram to decipher this one... :rolleyes:

MOP
07-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Jamie just inside the exhaust manifold opening you want to seal it off with the epoxy, all it does is close off the water passages so they will never leak, the plates do work but can and do leak just far less. This just like having a dry joint manifold setup, you need to route the water to the riser from the top manifold plug. And I do guarantee it works. You could do the riser it would do the same thing, but you say you can't due to the configuration of your risers.

Phil

MOP
07-01-2004, 10:20 AM
i think i need a diagram to decipher this one... :rolleyes:

Sorry Jamie but thanks! My fingers do not always type what I am saying! I cleared up any miss thoughts in the post, take another peek.

Phil

smoothie
07-01-2004, 10:26 AM
I follow ya,,,but I would maybe just have it welded if that would be possible? do ya think the passage could be welded up and not leak?

MOP
07-01-2004, 10:36 AM
I follow ya,,,but I would maybe just have it welded if that would be possible? do think the passage could be welded up and not leak?

Yes! Aluminum can be easily welded, cast iron is tough I know this from splitting quite a few Chevy & GMC 6 manifolds, you can braze cast but need to get the whole thing hot so it does not crack. The Epoxy works never had it fail and is WAY cheaper than welding.

PS I did fix the post thanks to Jamie take another look.

Phil

RedDog
07-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Might help if you stated what the tip was trying to accomplish. Without reading the later posts you never know that you are trying to seal off the water passages like a block plate.

MOP
07-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Might help if you stated what the tip was trying to accomplish. Without reading the later posts you never know that you are trying to seal off the water passages like a block plate.

OK OK another fix, I don't mind! And another thanks!

Phil

Rootsy
07-01-2004, 11:41 AM
actually if i was gonna do this i'd use devcon aluminum or steel bedded 2 part epoxy... depending upon manifold material... sandblast and pour it in.. put some tape over the opening and let her cure for a day.. if it bulges up just run a file over it and it'll clean up... this stuff is incredible...