PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank questions...

Tony
06-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Where would a gas tank in a '67 Ski Sporter start to leak?
It seems like I'm getting a gas odor while the boat is in the garage with the doors closed, more-so than in years past. The top of the tank, and the foam surrounding it, looks very dry and solid. But of course this is only a small portion of the tank and all I can eyeball.

Crawling forward and sticking my finger into the drain tube running along the bottom of the vee, fore of the tank, and the smell is noticeable. The tube also seems to have some debris blocking it.

Is this tube independent from the gas tank, in other words should I try to flush it out? Or would that just introduce more moisture into the bottom of the tank area? Also, if it is seeping, how long until it starts leaking?

Anticipating a worst-case scenario, what would be a fair price range for a glass/boat shop to do a deck-off tank swap for me? I know that many of you have done this and claim it to be no big deal, but I am a bit leery of a task this elaborate.

Rootsy
06-30-2004, 08:49 PM
hmmmm plenty 'o michigan folk around to help... some who possess important phone numbers just in case... you buy the beer and pizza... i am sure we'll show up with tools and appetites ;)

mattyboy
06-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Tony,
I feel your pain, but that is what I just went thru, the smell got stronger and stronger, a steel tank won't last for ever, If I can be of any help drop me a line,
keep your chin up

Matty

Donzigo
07-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Tony,

I've replaced two fuel tanks in my Donzi's over the years. Some tanks were made in Perry, Florida, (check your decal on the tank, if the tank is grey, it's problably this company). They were not actually 1/8 inch think. They were thinner. We measrured both tanks, which came from 1987 & 1989 vintage years, & both were thin. IMO, Doesn't matter, the fuel tanks usually last around 10 years, in a salt water environment.

The last tank, from my 1989 Z-33, had to be cut out with my saws-all piece by piece. From above, it looked great, then when I made the first cut to look inside, looked great, on the sides, looked great. But, when the bottom came out, it was a different story. The bottom was totally corroded and looked pretty grim. The foam they use at the factory serves two purposes. It makes the tank stronger, & it keeps it in place, upon re-entry when the fuel sloshes forward. Inside the tank there are baffles, which keeps the fuel from running to the front quickly. My guy, DRS, in Gulfport, Florida, made hundreds of tanks for many boat companys over the years. Derrick, his father & uncle had assembly lines going with many employees. Now, Derrick is just as happy running the shop alone with his wife. They do excellent work, & make a good living, woithout the hassles of the big production & employees. He's made tanks for registry members and shipped them UPS. The cost is around $6.00 per gallon. Whoever makes the tank, it's important that it be painted to insure longivity. Also, some Donzis have really small valves on the tanks, change that, if necessary.

Most people think that a fuel tank is not difficult to produce. They think: "Hey, it's a box made of metal"........there's an art to it.

"You ask when will it start leaking?" ............uhhhhhhhhhhhh, It's leaking now..........oozing = leaking, right? IMHO - don't use the boat again until you get a new fuel tank. It takes a boat about 5 minutes to burn up.........Oh, and you and you're crew are left in the water watching it burn, while you are trying to assure them that everything is OK!

MOP
07-01-2004, 09:35 AM
A picture is worth a 1000 words, my 17 Formula after a ten minute fire. Oddly enough the tank did not blow!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34157

Take a look at my 17 Formula after the fire! In post #10

Phil

Marlin275
07-01-2004, 10:24 AM
You take extra care of your boats
extraordinary maintenance, easy driving?
How did the17 Formula fire start and why?

MOP
07-01-2004, 08:55 PM
You take extra care of your boats
extraordinary maintenance, easy driving?
How did the17 Formula fire start and why?

All I can do is surmise, I was out skiing with friends we were taking a brew break. I went to restart the engine and it popped through the carb a couple of times and refused to start. This part is quite embarrassing, another Bud happened by with his sail boat offered a tow. Well the girls and my other manly type jumped ship and were riding on the sail boat. I was sitting on the bow like a lame duck feeling real stupid being towed by a blow boat, they all started waiving and screaming I turned my head looked back just in time to see the navy top burst into flames. I started to pull on the rope like a wild man hoping to jump onto the sail boat, my Bud or should I say SOB had a knife and was trying to cut the tow line. Half the bay could hear my :cussball: I did manage to jump onto his boat just as the line parted nearly threw him overboard, did'nt speak to him for a month. Anyway back to surmising, this dumb ass left the key on and the wires caught fire. How do I know this, I was doing commercial diving at the time and was hired to raise my own boat. I did find the dash and my keys and the switch was in the on position, I wish I had never made that dive. I had a bad cold which drove fluids into my inner ear and made me deaf in my right ear for over a year, it also ended me doing anymore deep dives. I am screwed if I go over about 15 feet now, can't make any money in shallow water and I now think I am to damn old for that stuff anymore.

penbroke
07-01-2004, 09:08 PM
I just changed the tank in my '66 18. It had leaked a bit around the sight gauge last year which I was able to seal up with epoxy. After a 200 mile road trip it began to smell again. I discovered after I pulled the deck off the major leak was the fuel line (hose) from the tank to the filter. It was run thru a hole in the stringer and bent at a sharp angle causing it to crack at the bend. The smell was always much worse when the tank was full. The tank itself was still sound.

The tube should run from the compartment in front of the tank to the compartment behind the tank. It is to drain water from the front of the boat. It should be 'glassed to both bulkheads creating a sealed compartment around the tank. Cleaning it out shouldn't hurt anything but it's not going to help.

Seeping IS leaking! When I pulled mine out all the foam around the lower part of the tank was saturated with gas. I don't mean smelly I mean wring it out like a sponge.

For those who do this sort of thing all the time it is no big deal. For those that don't it's a bit of a project. I would do it again for myself or for a friend. If I was to do it for money it would be pricey.

My advice: Don't run it 'till it's fixed. If the garage is attached to the house, store it outside.

I'd be happy to discuss my experience with you if it would help.

Frank

mattyboy
07-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Tony
you have mail

Frank how's the boat coming??? missed you at the dustoff,
there was a guy there from my neck of the woods restoring a dark red with white stripe barrelback with a windshield ! not a triple hatch but looks just like yours !

post pics cya at the fall picnic

Matty