PDA

View Full Version : Starving for fuel

florida gator
06-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Took my first long run this past weekend and everything started out fine. Tried to open it up after I got out into the gulf and it seemed to die. As I backed back off it picked up so I kept it around 3500 rpm, much more than that and it would hesitate. About 30 minutes into the trip it started hesitating again. I made it to the next channel and came down to an idle at the manattee zone. Once I was able to go again, it seemed fine until I tried to really open up.

It seemed like it wasn't getting enough fuel. On the way back, when it started holding back I could come off plane and keep going at a slow pace for a short period of time and then go again and it would be fine for a little while.

Anyone else experience this before?

Scott Heidt
06-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Inspect your plugs. Pull them and make sure they are the proper color and make sure they are dry. It could be any number of things. Process of elimination. I am no mechanic, but what you are describing happened to me. My 502 was only running on 6 cylinders.

Make sure you are firing on all cylinders. Also, check your carb to make sure that nothing is pluged up.

Just my two cents.

DonziDave
06-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Had the same problem a couple of years ago. Drove me nuts looking for the source. Pulled the pick-up tube out of he gas tank and found that the tube has a screen on the end that was clogged with trash. Cleaned out the screen and no more problem. Give it a look..
Good luck - Dave

Cuda
06-30-2004, 09:32 PM
I assume you checked your fuel filter/water separator?

tmdog
07-01-2004, 10:30 AM
I had to replace the elec. fuel pump. At idle read 7.5 lbs. Started to shut down at3800 rpm and noted press. was 2 lbs. Faulty pump. Replaced and runs like new.

Marlin275
07-01-2004, 10:35 AM
I had the same problem this year.
Motor would shut down faster than you could kill it above 3000RPM
Two year old fuel pump had been damaged by water in the gas?
New higher capacity pump, no shut down!

RedDog
07-01-2004, 10:35 AM
I had similar symtoms in my old BB 18 when the fuel / water separator had water in it (about 1/2 water).

florida gator
07-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses. It gives me some direction for Saturday morning. Will post when I figure it out.