PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Sweet 16 with Ignition Problems

wiltok
06-30-2004, 12:35 PM
My boat has been at the marina for eight weeks (4.3 HO OMC with electronic ignition). The final diagnosis(I hope!) is in - the electonic ignition module (the square thing that takes the place of the distributor) is bad. This part is not made anymore - but my mechanic was able to find one. He installed it and it still didn't run right (he actually found another one and it doesn't work with that one either). He is suggesting I convert to a standard distrbutor/points ignition. Do you guys have any insight? Will there be any performance loss if I convert? I have read on other boards (boatered) that conversion is the probable next step if you can't find the electronic ignition parts. Thanks in advance.

-Keith

BUIZILLA
06-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Okay, i'm confused, change out two ignition controllers, same problem.... why trash everything???????? find a different wrench.

JH :stan:

Rootsy
06-30-2004, 01:11 PM
don't quote me on this because it's been a good decade since i've laid eyes on one of these setups, but if i recall this box is crank triggered... is the trigger working? on / off signal to the box? if not then no sparky to the pluggies... or does the plug deal that goes in the distributor hole the positional pickup for the box? either way the box needs to get a signal from somewhere to tell which plug to fire and when... if 2 boxes don't work i'd begin there... if the coil and other wiring has been verified to be OK.

if you change out for a distributor... mallory unilite is probably the quickest and easiest and shouldn't break the bank...

MOP
06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
My boat has been at the marina for eight weeks (4.3 HO OMC with electronic ignition). The final diagnosis(I hope!) is in - the electonic ignition module (the square thing that takes the place of the distributor) is bad. This part is not made anymore - but my mechanic was able to find one. He installed it and it still didn't run right (he actually found another one and it doesn't work with that one either). He is suggesting I convert to a standard distrbutor/points ignition. Do you guys have any insight? Will there be any performance loss if I convert? I have read on other boards (boatered) that conversion is the probable next step if you can't find the electronic ignition parts. Thanks in advance.

-Keith

The EEm system is a good but more complex than most, things to check I think by another proper shop!

Timing sensor by flywheel upper port side bell housing
Coil Packs, any set can die usually not just one.
Module, usually death.
Knock sensor back end of cylinder head, retards ignition runs rough.
Oil pressure switch next to sender switch, goes into limp mode.
Water temp switch either front of block or intake, goes into limp mode.
Shift assist switch, will studder or just die.
And yes the esay one its own seperate 12.5 breaker.

Anyone of the above can cause a rough or no run situation!

Find a qualified dealer with proper equipment it is far cheaper than shopping price or not driving the distance!

Phil

wiltok
06-30-2004, 03:42 PM
It probably would have helped if I described the problems!! Several things - the shift interrupt switch was working intermittently - more often not working (when manually engaging it and when actually shifting). The switch was replaced - didn't fix the problem. Another problem, at least two cylinders were not firing. Plug wires replaced - then the boat would not start at all. Electonic module replaced (the rectangular black box that I referenced in the first post) - no start. New module - started briefly on the muffs, wouldn't start at the lake. He checked the timing sensor - but couldn't find a replacement and didn't have a test for it. Now he wants to convert to points... I just checked the calender - the boats been at the shop since April 24 - and I am getting antsy. If I take it another shop I'll be at the back of the line - and probably get it back in August. In the interest of 1) getting it running and 2) keeping it simple so I can work on it myself, would it be a bad thing to convert it?

Rootsy
06-30-2004, 06:50 PM
#1 skip the thought of points TOTALLY...

#2 find a competant shop with a certified OMC mechanic that has been around for at least a dozen years or so...

the choice of going to a distributor is up to you... but go electronic ignition... today it is all relatively maintenance and trouble free.. cept a cap and rotor change every spring :)

Bad-Tat
06-30-2004, 08:19 PM
I had that problem with my 90 4.3 16' and found out that OMC training center, (they were still open) didn't have the testing instrument for that Spitfire system. No dealer had it either. So dumped the whole system and went with the Merc electronic dist. No more problems in that area. On the shift interupt mine only had a cam for going into forward and none installed for reverse. Installed one in the slot that was there and works like a charm now.