PDA

View Full Version : Tried a New prop on a 22 Classic

Pismo
06-30-2004, 07:13 AM
Have a 22 Classic with a 502/415hp Bravo 1 with a Mirage Plus 25" prop. Running 74.3mph GPS at the rev limiter 5050rpms. Switched to a 27" labbed Mirage Plus, brought the revs down to 4750 and speed up to 75.5mph GPS. Then added a Hardin Marine XS flame arrestor and got 75.5mph GPS exactly again at 4750rpm again, no gain at all.

Boat is getting very squirrely at these speeds, definitely tougher to keep under control with the 27" prop. Need hydraulic steering.

Cheers
SL

Fish boy
06-30-2004, 08:40 AM
picked up over 1mph, nice. I am sure there might even be a little more in there with a little prop work and getting the revs up a tad.

Just curious, what is everyone else that has a similar power package running? Rpms? speed?

roadtrip se
06-30-2004, 12:20 PM
The Mirage 27 steps down to a very small diameter which sets them up IMO for some nasty handling traits. You won't find them on many boats anywhere.

I would give the Hydromotive Quad 4 24 pitch a try as an alternative to the Mirage 25. It won't speed you up, but it will give you better handling, crisper acceleration, and quicker hole shot. By doing some testing, you will probably get the same top end out of the Hydro also.

As an example, my stock Hydro 27 turns in a top end within a mile or two of my labbed Mirage 29 and it is one hell of a lot more fun being at WOT with the Hydro.

Todd
"Owner of a couple of dusty Mirage props..."

Pismo
06-30-2004, 03:12 PM
The handling did change quite a bit from the 25" to the labbed 27", more than I thought it would. It got a little crazy, it never really settled in. I did runs in the same conditions with both props and the 25" will settle in nicely even with big trim, but I am bouncing of the limiter.

Does anyone like the Hydro 26" 3 blade, maybe labbed? I could use another 150-200 rpm.

Cheers
SL