PDA

View Full Version : VHF Trouble

TBroccoli
06-29-2004, 12:39 PM
I have a UNIDEN MC535 radio. It transmits fine. I cannot hear anything or anyone talking to me. If I turn the squench all the way down and the volume all the way up I can barely hear some static. When someone calls, the static goes away. Help, Is the speaker bad?

MOP
06-29-2004, 01:48 PM
I have a UNIDEN MC535 radio. It transmits fine. I cannot hear anything or anyone talking to me. If I turn the squench all the way down and the volume all the way up I can barely hear some static. When someone calls, the static goes away. Help, Is the speaker bad?

Could be but see if it has a jack for a remote speaker, many times the contacts in the socket get corroded. I use a tiny round file to clean the contacts, I hold it so only about 3/4" can be inserted into the socket. If it works I usually shot a dab of Pro Clean in the hole that keeps it from going bad again. If the speaker is bad and the jack is Ok you can plug one in, the marine ones run about $30. Though the socket is for mono a stereo head set will usually work for testing.