PDA

View Full Version : Prop Talk

Cuda
06-29-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking of different props for my Minx, not that I've run it enough to tell if the prop is good or not, it's just something I like to do, investigate different props.

Has anyone tried a Laser Prop?

Will a four blade be too much for the Alpha drive?

What about solid hubs? I know they aren't supposed to be used with Alpha drives, but does anyone have real world knowledge that the solid hubs are bad for them, or just passing along what has been said for years?

Right now I have a 23 Cleaver on the boat. It comes right up on plane easily with no blowout whatsoever. I've only run it up to 3800 rpm which gave my 47.7 gps going up river on the Suwannee, so figure about 50 mph. The stern feels rather "slippery" at speed, but it just may be I'm not used to driving this small of a boat at speed. I also have a 24 Turbo I'm going to try.

I'm thinking about a 25 Mirage Plus would be just right.

I'm thinking a round eared prop would improve handling.

Running around 340 to 350 horses with an Alpha.

MOP
06-29-2004, 02:07 PM
I am not real knowledgeable about props but I do know that every Alpha that I know of that went to solid hub most of which were cleavers which has no bearing, ripped the clutch dogs out soon there after. The hub provides cushioning when shifting.

Sam
06-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Cuda, I ran a 3 blade Turbo on my Gen II after trying several props. It gave me the best allround performance and didn't break the bank. Now that I have swtched to an Alpha SS I had to move to a Hydromotive four blade. I can spin that around 5,200 rpms and get no blow out in the turns. The only down side to the Hydro is that they are on the high side, $500 plus. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sam :)

BUIZILLA
06-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Poodle just got me a T1 for my Minx. I have only tried the M+, M so far. Gonna try the T1 and the cleaver this weekend and see which of the four is the best.

JH :umbrella:

Cuda
06-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Let me know the results Jim.

BUIZILLA
06-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Cuda, do you want GPS numbers with the bimini top up or down?? :wink: :biggrin.:

JH :sombrero:

smokediver
06-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Cuda,
I am running a 25 laser2 .I went to that after changing my intake and carb. I wish I didn't have the 1.8 gear ratio . I am right into my rev limiter by myself but with a couple of people on board it is a great prop for the 16 . I think with your boat it wouldn't work too well . not enough blade area for your size/weight boat . For the my 16 it works great.

Cuda
06-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Cuda,
I am running a 25 laser2 .I went to that after changing my intake and carb. I wish I didn't have the 1.8 gear ratio . I am right into my rev limiter by myself but with a couple of people on board it is a great prop for the 16 . I think with your boat it wouldn't work too well . not enough blade area for your size/weight boat . For the my 16 it works great.

Thanks! That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

EricG
06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
On the Z21 (similar size and weight as the minx...) I had the best luck with a Stilletto (that I bought from Sam, come-to-think-of-it :biggrin.: ). My 19 Mirage+ was too little, and I couldn't turn a 21 M+, but the 21 Stilletto was a little smaller diameter and gave me the best top end, holeshot, and handling by far. My 20" dinged cleaver was about equal on the top end, but it was too squirly....

Your turning a bigger wheel than I ever could....but it's an idea.

Good luck,

EG