PDA

View Full Version : RedDogs Florida Keys Adventure – Part 1

RedDog
06-29-2004, 08:45 AM
RedDogs Florida Keys Adventure – Part 1

The RedDog Family and friends descended on Plantation Key for a week of fun. Donzi Deb and our 2 boys, brother (Capt Dick) and sis inlaw and their 3 boys plus 1 tag-along, and my sister and brother inlaw stayed at Dolphin Point which was a wonderful place with a private boat ramp, docks, protected ocean front basin, pool, yada, yada …. We also had 2 families of friends stay at “Futura” across the highway – very nice condos. Gotta say it does get hot in June!

We did a little fishing but not nearly as much as we usually do on our annual trips to the Outer Banks. In fact we never put a line out to try and troll up some game fish. We did do some reef and creek fishing and resulted in enough yellow tail and mangrove snapper to feed the crowd. Due to the heat, our motivation for serious fishing was lacking.

Restaurants – Are there any restaurants in the Keys that are not excellent? Didn’t eat out a lot but when I did it was fabulous! Highly recommend Mile Marker 88, Lori-Lies, Islamorada Fish Co, and Turtle Kraals. Turtle Kraals was in Key West. The day trip down to Key West was something of a bust in my view – a lot of people, a lot of hot concrete and asphalt, a lot of shopping – Donzi Deb's kind of place.

Snorkeling was great – we hit several different reefs. Some better than others but we had fun at them all. Glad I bought an Anchor Shade for the 22 prior to the trip. Donzi rides were great. The chop and salt water really set Genuine Trouble free on a few rides. She performed flawlessly. One day was too rough to go out at all. The day Bandit stopped by we did a 25 mile round trip for snorkeling but it was still pretty rough. The tag-along boy I mentioned earlier rode with us and thanks to his chumming :puke: efforts we had reef fish wanting to jump in the boat with us.

Got a ton of great photos, unfortunately most are now in Never-Never Land. Tip – don’t let a teenager play with a digital camera until such time as the photos are backed up.
:banghead:

Forrest
06-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Other Banks then the Keys . . . you guys know how to vacation, Nice!

Team Jefe
06-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Cool Story an photos...Thanks for sharing :bighug:

Digger
06-30-2004, 03:46 PM
looks like a great spot! thx for sharing the pics. When I retire I would like to run a little tiki/nipa hut bar in a spot JUST like that