PDA

View Full Version : A few more progress photos

Eugene Nahemow
06-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Work is progressing really slow, due to many other time demands.
Although we have just closed on a home in Tahoe, and will try and schedule a Donzi get together next year that will hopefully bring together a West Coast Posse. :biggrin.:

Paint is 99% complete and I am really happy with the results.
The hatch had to be customized from stock so the dual carbs and CMI headers would fit. I am designing a chrome grill that will fit in the opening. It will be similar to the grill I had fabricated for my scoops on the Magnum.

I was hoping to be finished for the 4th of July but it probably looks like we will be complete the following week.

Here are a few photos:

Ed Donnelly
06-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Love the engine hatch...Ed :yippie:

gcarter
06-29-2004, 06:52 AM
Eugene, the boat is beautiful. The hatch looks great. Did you do the glass work, or a local 'glass shop?

For the benifit of everyone on the board, especially me!, would you spell your name phoneticly? Every time I see you post, I always wonder about it. :yes:

Thanks;
George

Fish boy
06-29-2004, 07:09 AM
WOW!!! Love the hatch, love the paint, and I cannot say enough about the dash. Did I say WOW already?! Can't wait to see pics of the finished product.

Fish

SMLDONZI
06-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Eugene,
Wow, super nice all around. The dash looks spectacular and I love the integral scoop on the hatch. The details always make a project special.

Will

Sport
06-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Very impressive craftsmanship ! Bummer about the 4th though. Just stand on the dock and wave a bottle of RUM, I'm sure someone can bum you a ride for the holiday till your SWEET craft is completed.

Sport

MOP
06-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Looking super, your progress and work done will be enjoyed by you and all that see it. This season seems to be one of the best for some very fine Donzi's! I give all the guys that do this fine work a BIG THUMBS UP!

Eugene Nahemow
06-29-2004, 11:43 AM
George,
My name is pretty easy to pronounce, although everyone tries to make it pretty complicated. Na - he - mow
Its Russian. In Russia its spelled Nakhimov. It was changed when my grandfather came to the United States. Admiral Nakhimov was a national hero.(not my grandfather,but related.)
Here is an article if you are interested. http://english.mn.ru/english/issue.php?2002-25-11

The hatch was done by a glass shop. They also painted the deck and interior. I first laid out the hatch design in Autocad and then built a full scale mock-up of it out of chip board. When I was happy with the shape, the autobody took my original hatch and did the modifications.

Sport,
Thanks. I really would have like to have it done to use this weekend. Although my 13yr old son doesn't mind tubing behind
the Magnum. :eek!:

The hatch grill will probably be similar to these:

smoothie
06-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Lookin good UG,I bet ya cant wait to hear her rumble :hyper: I like the way you continued the strip on the bottom of the dash and the hatch is...well ...showboy :biggrin.: How many coats of clear? the finish is great.

gcarter
06-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Eugene, when you say you made a model in chipboard, explain that process. Did you just buy a 4 X 8 sheet of chip board and cut out and assemble the pieces? For fitment/ clearance?
I really like your inspiration for the grills. Outstanding! :propeller
Thanks

George

Digger
06-29-2004, 06:39 PM
VERY nice

Eugene Nahemow
06-29-2004, 07:59 PM
George,
First we mounted the engine with the carbs,exhaust and flame arrestor into the engine compartment. At that point I knew what my clearances needed to be.

I then took all the dimensions of my existing hatch and drew it up on autocad (front,side, rear elevations,sections etc.)

I then was able to draw a box outline of what my clearances needed to be above my existing hatch. At that point I started to design the form that I thought would look best to conform with the existing hatch and clear all the mechanicals.

Once I had what I thought would look good I plotted consecutive cross sections out in fulll scale. I then overlaid the drawings onto the chip board and cut out the cross sections.

After having about 8 cross sections or ribs, I proceeded to hot glue them in the corresponding locations on my existing hatch. After some slight modifications and adjustments, I stretched and glued a film over the ribs so I could get the full effect of what it would look like.

After all of this, I brought it over to the glass and paint shop and told them to modify the hatch as it was laid out. They used modeling foam and sanded the exact shape that I had produced, then glued it to the top of my existing hatch, glassed over it. and then cut the foam out from the bottom of the hatch. A little filling, sanding and painting and voila, new hatch. :bonk:

gcarter
06-29-2004, 08:16 PM
VERY impressive! :eek!:
It looks like the payback will be well worth the effort! :)

George

GEOO
06-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Nice job...
That hatch looks great.
Carbs? What's the engine going to look like?

Eugene Nahemow
06-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Geo,
Here's a shot of the engine.

GEOO
06-30-2004, 07:30 AM
That's going to look nice under that new hatch.Pretty exotic looking!!! Dual Carbs and Headers, CMI's. :eek:

DonCig
06-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Eugene, I am drooling with envy. Give me some engine specs to make me really want to go out and repower my 18'

Don

SMLDONZI
06-30-2004, 08:51 AM
Wow. Sweet cross-ram.

cigarette30
06-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Eugene,

Your boat is looking great..... beyond great! Never got a chance to thank you for the vents, they worked out perfect. You have probably posted previously, but what are the brief details of your Magnum? And the last thing, do you "detail" for a living?, You have quite an gift.

Speed-Racer
06-30-2004, 01:30 PM
:eek: ......can't wait to see it finished

I Like the different hatch scoop and the engine is sick :eek:

BUIZILLA
06-30-2004, 02:05 PM
I hope it's not one of THESE crossram setups..

ebay # 2482493521

JH :eek: :eek: :confused:

Greg K
06-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I hope it's not one of THESE crossram setups..

ebay # 2482493521

JH :eek: :eek: :confused:

21K plus for that setup...ouch..but I think I remember Eugene went with an Offenhauser and had some special coating applied. Looks great. :eek:

Rootsy
06-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Man that thing looks awesome...

mattyboy
06-30-2004, 02:39 PM
!@#&ing OUTSTANDING!!!! :cool: :yes:

Matty

Eugene Nahemow
07-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks to all.
I just got back from 2 days in Tahoe getting our house ready for vacation rentals. Fortunately, I haven't had too much time to think about the Donzi. I am going to drop by the shop tomorrow and hopefully see some progress.
Don,
Here are the specs:
Engine Specs -350 CI
Pistons - TRW
Cam – Lunati
Heads – World
Roller Rockers – Crane
Compression on Pistons – 10:1
CC Chamber on Head – 72cc
Intake Runner - 18cc
Lift on Cam – 515
Duration – 246 Degrees @ .050”
Offenhauser Cross Ram Intake Manifold
Carbs - Holley HP650 Built by TPC
http://www.tpcracing.com/tpc-marine_category.html
CMI Headers

Cig,
I am glad you like the vents. They will be one of the last items to put on my Donzi. I have been detailing homes for 30 years. I am a principal in a residential design firm and I also am involved in a great deal of industrial/product design for our clients. The boats are a hobby. A very expensive one! :eek: I would love to do some design work for the boating and automotive industry.
This board has a great deal of talent that has given me much inspiration.
Here is a link to some info on the Magnum.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31394
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31464

Jim,
It definitely wasn't that set-up!
It was an Offenhauser that I had black chromed.

Poodle,
Thats a shot that I can't wait to shoot.

Everyone have a great and safe 4th.