PDA

View Full Version : 22' Classic "wish list" poll

rag top man
06-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Just got back from the lake, and i have the fever, to the point of wanting to buy the first 22' Classic I see. I know I'll buy in the next month or so, because I'm asking myself what options I should be looking for!!
I know all you 22' Classic owners know whats good and whats not, PLEASE help me out here, and post what you think is "the" set up for a 22'.

My current thoughts include:
454 Chevy (lots of parts avail)
Bravo drive
trim tabs
thru hull exhaust
"Silent choice" or "Quick-n-qiuet"?
Imco shortie????
best all around prop?
desirable trailer, non painted, dual axle but aluminum???
(hear that painted trailers can hide rust/rot ?!?!?!)

Whether its your set-up or not, what would you 22' Classic owners really want???
Thanks is advance guys, I hope to finally be a proud owner soon!!! greg

BUIZILLA
06-28-2004, 07:08 PM
New or Used ??

J :lobster:

Pismo
06-28-2004, 08:29 PM
My musts before buying a used 22 Classic were

1-10) FRESH WATER use only (if buying used)
11) Stainless windshield
12) Merc 502 or 496 (gen VI or newer for the roller cam) all big blocks have plenty of parts/performance upgrade parts, etc.
13) Merc Bravo I drive
14) Low hours
15) Switchable or muffled exhaust(very nice to have the choice)
16) Dual axle bed solid matching trailer (not a big deal, relatively cheap)

They all have tabs. Mirage Plus or Turbo I props seem to work the best. An imco shortie is great but $3600 new...........

rag top man
06-28-2004, 11:04 PM
first,
I gotta have used, can't afford new.
second,
thanks Pismo, thats the kind of info i need, btw, ever been to Pismo Beach, Ca?

boatnut
06-29-2004, 02:04 AM
I would not worry about salt water usage --- it is only an issue if the owner did not properly care for the boat--if the boat looks like it has been used in salt (pitting on chrome, rust on engine etc.) stay away from it -- if it doesn't look like it, salt water usage is ok as it was cared for.

Pismo
06-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Salt water is the devil. 90+% of people don't take care of the salt boats properly. Even if they do, you will always be starting from a better place with a fresh water only boat. There are plenty of used 22 Classics to choose from....Don't bother buying a boat that has been in salt, no matter how careful the owner, a fresh water boat will always be in better shape. Fresh water 22s are easy to find.

I have boated extensively in fresh and salt water and there is no comparison, even with good maintenance.

Cheers,
SL

BUIZILLA
06-29-2004, 10:32 AM
I need some salt with my popcorn.

JH :computer:

RedDog
06-29-2004, 10:41 AM
I just tried some salt with my fresh water popcorn and loved it

My wish list:

502 or 496 - well since I'm wishing a HP500
Stainless or aluminum exhaust
IMCO shorty
external hydraulic steering
K-plans or dual Bennetts with the Victory tabs
Procharger

I run a Mirage Plus - 25". Would like to try a Turbo and Hydromotive Q-IV

MOP
06-29-2004, 11:22 AM
How about Cracker Jacks! There are many good salt water boats just as there are many good fresh water boats. No matter what it boils down to is proper care, my 16 was a salt baby for four years only ran in F/W one week. The guy that bought it paid $2500 over book, true I had to keep after it a bit but it was well worth the effort. A well cared for boat no matter where it comes from is a good boat the majority of Donzi owners are ANAL about their boats and maintain them well above the norm. Do a search on what to look for when buying a boat there is some very good tips!

MOP

Cuda
06-29-2004, 11:33 AM
I cannot eat my popcorn without salt.

Guess I'm just Runnin' with the Devil! :yes: