PDA

View Full Version : Installing exhaust bellows

TBroccoli
06-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Madpoodle was kind enough to send me a replacement exhaust bellow for my BRAVO 1 outdrive. I installed it this weekend (it took about the whole weekend). Does anyone have a trick to install this thing? With drive up you have room to work but must stretch the bellow a lot. With drive down the bellow almost fits but you have no room to work. I don't know if I have it on secure enough, so when it falls off I hope someone could let me in on how to install easily. Thanks, Tom

Forrest
06-28-2004, 03:42 PM
You need to borrow a (and this is no bull) an exhaust-bellows stretching tool. Most Mercruiser shops keep such a thing hanging on the wall of special Merc tools. Also, you must pull the drive to use it.

TBroccoli
06-29-2004, 12:34 PM
If you pull the drive how do you connect both ends to their flanges? I made my own version of what I believe a bellows puller would look like. I wrapped a wire around the midway point of the bellows and pulled it away from the transom. It worked but I am not happy with how close to the end of the flange the hose clamp rests. Another 1/8 to 1/4 inch would be perfect. Hopefully it will stay put.

Forrest
06-30-2004, 09:53 AM
When you pull the drive, you will be able to gain access to the inside of the bellows in order to stretch it out over the flange on the transom plate. Also, if the drive-end of the bellows is also clamped, it is clamped to the exhaust flange on the lower part of what Mercruiser calls the bell-housing - which does not come off when you remove the drive. Again, stretch the bellows from the inside (the tool makes it easy) over the exhaust flange on the belhousing. Be sure install the hose clamps so the the tightener will not rub against the U-joint bellows. Finally, install the drive using new gaskets and o-rings and you are in business.
Hope this helps.

TBroccoli
06-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Now you got me thinking. both ends of the bellows needs a hose clamp. I just figured that the drive side exhaust flange was attached to the drive. I will take a look after work. Thanks for your help.