PDA

View Full Version : Whats your method of break-in?

ChromeGorilla
06-28-2004, 01:24 PM
I have read some older posts but I'd figured I'd ask any way. I know everybody has different preferences. But I was curious since I get my new boat on Wed., what is everyones prefered method of breakin in a new motor. My boat will have a 496 HO w/ B1X. Do tell...

Morgan's Cloud
06-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Not to hijack Scott's thread but before all the experts come in can I also add that I've seen a lot of time spent on the issue of cam shaft break-in. I've never though, seen anything specific to this in the owners handbook on new engines... and all of their recommendations are pretty much the same ..
Can anyone also advise on this .. or are the cams run in at the factory and all we do is just break-in the rest of the engine ? ?

Steve

BUIZILLA
06-28-2004, 03:17 PM
CG, it's a roller motor, gas it up and use like you wish. First oil change at 10-15 hours, then let it rip.

JH

Forrest
06-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Probably the drive unit needs breaking-in more than the roller-cammed motor. I would go by the break-in recommendations that you will find in your soon-to-be-in-your-hands Mercruiser Owners manual.

cigarette30
06-28-2004, 03:50 PM
There are those that say, "break um in like ya run um", ie: if you plan to run them hard, break them in hard. How many of the 500 e.f.i.s in the offshore boats are ever "not run" for 10 hours. And how many thousands of police cars are "babied" for 500/1000 miles NOT! (I know first hand) and yet they get 150,000/200,000 in many departments. One point though, Merc. says 10 hours, no wide open, change settings frequent, and THEY can verify it with the new computer softwhere. So, if you have a problem, and did not follow the "recomended" procedure ...... well, do you want the risk. 10 hours go by pretty quick. And, I change the oil at 10 and 20 first time around.

cigarette30
06-28-2004, 03:58 PM
I have read some older posts but I'd figured I'd ask any way. I know everybody has different preferences. But I was curious since I get my new boat on Wed., what is everyones prefered method of breakin in a new motor. My boat will have a 496 HO w/ B1X. Do tell...

By the way, watch the fliud levels real close during the first 10 hours, they are known to both burn oil, and drop drive fliud, or anti freeze either by leak or consumption. The last 6 496HO's, or 500 e.f.i.'s I have had, needed some minor repairs or adjustments that if not detected could have been very serious.

hottub
06-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Amen Cig 30......I found the same thing.......Engine was thirsty for oil/fluids during and shortly thereafter the recommeded break in. Keep a watchful eye in the compartment.

Changed at 15 and 25 hours then let her rock and roll...

Fish boy
06-29-2004, 06:57 AM
Keep an eye on fluid levels...

1 bag of ice
12 pack of beer
bottle of grey goose
8 red bulls
bottle of jagermeister

after the first hour, supplement as needed. ;) :biggrin:

Fish

MOP
06-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Standard 10 hour break in has worked just fine and will continue to do so. On my own stuff I keep the load fairly light for the first hour varying RPM's then dump the oil, I have been told more than once that I will end up with an oil burner not loading them heavier it has not happened yet in 40 some odd years. My feeling is most everything that will come loose will do so within the first hour. I do another change at 5 hours, after that I just do it in the fall usually with not many hours on it. Oil is damn cheap some of what we are running is not, my motor will end about 6k it will be well oiled. This 383 will be my first full roller setup I know they do get much crap in the oil, to some it will be a waste of oil but I will be happy.

Flat tappet motors do put more crap in the oil and proper break in is very important, 2000 RPM 15 minutes to get good splash oiling. Another point that most of the guys already know is that when tearing down an engine for freshening, if keeping the original cam & lifters make absolutely sure every lifter ends up in the same hole riding on the same cam lobe.

Phil