PDA

View Full Version : RedDog’s Florida Keys Adventure – Part 3

RedDog
06-28-2004, 07:16 AM
RedDog’s Florida Keys Adventure – Part 3

Yes, I’m starting with Part 3 because it was the most traumatic!

I’m at approximately 1800 miles into an uneventful 2000 mile round trip when out my windshield I have a view like you see with the NASCAR in car cameras. Cars and tractor trailers are going everywhere right in front of me on rain slicked I-75 near the Allatoona Rd exit. I stand on the brakes and hope that traffic behind me is stopping as well. I was in the inside lane and a tractor trailer starts coming toward me as I cut over to the inside shoulder. It keeps coming and then nails the van in front of me. Time to bail out further so I hit the grassy / muddy median and bounce on through to the on coming traffic’s shoulder. Hit 4-wheel drive and come back across to my side and stop. I though I had avoided trouble but on inspection I see that Genuine Trouble was clipped by the tractor trailer. Certainly could have been a lot worse, but if I had bailed out to the median ¼ of a second earlier all damage would have been avoided. No one was hurt but 3 tractor trailers and 1 van required tow service. The tracks through the mud were mine.

Why is it Allatoona sounds familiar?

Parts 1 and 2 of the trip to follow later

catch 22
06-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Thank God no one was hurt. Unbelievable!

Sport
06-28-2004, 08:17 AM
The big man looks out for Donzi owners.

Sport

roadtrip se
06-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Tim,

As I was reading your story, I was anticipating seeing one of my favorite Classics in a thousand shattered pieces.
Sounds like some pretty savy driving saved a beautiful boat and perhaps some more serious damage to the family.

And by the way, Bandits belong at Cumberland not Keywest!
Did you check your stuff when he left?

Hope the rest of trip went well. We are overdue for a Keys trip!

Todd

Fish boy
06-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Glad everyone was ok and the damage was minimal. Hate to see a scratch on your boat, but quick reflexes saved a bad situation from being a lot worse. Hope the rest of the trip was good.

Fish

ToonaFish
06-28-2004, 11:23 AM
I had nothing to do with this, I swear!

Glad to hear that you and Miss Trouble suffered only minor damage - do you think her name might have been asking for it?

Now tell us about the cannon...

RedDog
06-28-2004, 11:37 AM

Now tell us about the cannon...

More to come with part 1 of the story, but here is a teaser...

Scott Heidt
06-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Whew! Glad everyone is ok! Boats and cars can be replaced. People Can't. Awesome driving! Most people would have totally lost control!

Can't wait to read about the happier part of the trip! :)

ToonaFish
06-28-2004, 04:21 PM
My idea of the perfect vacation... tropical breezes, endless sun, breathtaking boating, and one big a&& cannon to keep infringing relatives at bay.

BOOM!

BUIZILLA
06-28-2004, 06:57 PM
It wouldn't surprise me, if the accident was caused by a gawker that thought they saw Toona's bottoms in the median, slammed on the brakes to rescue them, and mayhem ensued. Allatoona exit right?

JH

sounds good anyways :bonk:

Bandit
07-07-2004, 01:20 PM
RedDog,

The ride down in the Keys in Genuine Trouble was a blast!!! :hyper: and the place you stayed is awesome.

Thanks again for your hospitality and sorry to hear you ran into trouble on the way back. It looks like it could have been a lot worse. Head on up to Cumberland sometime and I'll take you out on the Widow and you can crash on the houseboat.

I believe Todd that there will be another sighting of this Bandit in the Keys again next week. :moped: Cumberland and 76 Falls rocked this past weekend!!!