PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel Coupling Assembly

GKricheldorf
06-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Anyone ever spun the flywheel coupling assembly? While out on Lake Havasu my wife was driving the boat while i was on another taking pictures. At one point the temp alarm went off so my boat buddy took over the controls. Gave the boat some higher rpm's and the temp came down to 160 from 220. After about 15 more minutes the rpm's went up as if the prop came off. Well it didn't. I did some quick checks while on the lake. When the motor was on there was smoke coming out from behind the motor. The only thing back there is the flywheel and the coupling assembly. I pulled off the out drive and the splines look good, the u joints look good. So the only other thing I can think of is we spun the coupling assembly. I don't have an extra drive shaft to shone in there and see if it spins. I'll just end up pulling the motor and swapping parts. I just don't know if that is the problem yet.

MOP
06-27-2004, 05:19 PM
It sounds like you smoked the coupling, usually what kills them is the alignment being out of whack.

MOP
06-27-2004, 05:31 PM
An idea if you are running any power is to pickup one of the bad boys that I got for mine.

Kirk
06-27-2004, 06:54 PM
MOP,

That looks like a nice piece...please give me details!!

Not that I will be pulling the motor again anytime soon. Have already done that 3 times in as many months. Does it ever end!!

Looks like a good winter project. As you are aware I have a 350sbc hooked up to a volvo 270.

Thanks,

KJ

DonziDave
06-27-2004, 07:54 PM
MOP is correct about engine alignment. That's how mine got torn out. I found out the hard way how important it is to check the alignment every year and snug all the bolts down.
Here is an an amazing mechanic story.
A friend of mine is a marine mechanic, and I took my boat to him to replace the coupler. I rolled into his shop at 8:00 am one morning. He pulled the outdrive, pulled the engine, relaced the coupler, installed a new bilge pump, reinstalled the engine, aligined the engine, hooked up all the electrical and hoses, reinstalled the outdrive. I drove out of his shop at 12:00 noon. It's always a pleasure to watch a master at work!
Dave

MOP
06-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Kirk I was lucky enough to find that beauty up on Ebay, I snagged it for $125. I have been told they run over $300 I believe it is the biggest Merc offers for the HiPer engines.

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
06-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Here is an an amazing mechanic story.
A friend of mine is a marine mechanic, and I took my boat to him to replace the coupler. I rolled into his shop at 8:00 am one morning. He pulled the outdrive, pulled the engine, relaced the coupler, installed a new bilge pump, reinstalled the engine, aligined the engine, hooked up all the electrical and hoses, reinstalled the outdrive. I drove out of his shop at 12:00 noon. It's always a pleasure to watch a master at work!
Dave

When we had the same job done on the Mag last summer it took the mechanic that long just to get the engine hatch open ! :biggrin:
That sounds like one hard workin' SOB . !

Like Phil says, get the 'good' one if you're going through all this trouble... Merc does offer an upgraded model over the original that has much stronger splines .. ask for that one . I think ours was around $375 before it even left the US .

MOP
06-28-2004, 01:14 PM
MOP,

That looks like a nice piece...please give me details!!

Not that I will be pulling the motor again anytime soon. Have already done that 3 times in as many months. Does it ever end!!

Looks like a good winter project. As you are aware I have a 350sbc hooked up to a volvo 270.

Thanks,

KJ

Kirk you setup uses an adapter plate with a spring loaded hub, they do make heavy duty ones but they do not have as much give as the standard duty one and I feel beat the drive up. They are there to cushion the drive line, I know from experience the HD makes the shift felt more. Properly setup the cone shifters both V&M should go into gear pretty darn SMOOTH!

GKricheldorf
06-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the info MOP. I did check the alignment of the motor before i put my out drive back in. The tool slid right in without any hesitation. Oh well live and learn.

MOP
06-29-2004, 10:07 AM
When installing any drive it is important to use Spline grease, it really is the only thing suited for the job. If for any reason you manage to get a bilge full of water where you know it got into the bell housing always pull the drive, clean and re-grease the shaft. If not done real good chance you will have to cut the shaft with a torch when you go to try to remove the drive at seasons end.